SW-MOTECH Mirror Extenders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyPecker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK, gonna try to share some photos from a Google Album I set up. I put on some SW-MOTECH extenders, and I think it's an improvement. As others have commented (see the post: " 2nd/3rd Gen Mirror Spacers & LED Light Brackets ") and sorry I don't know how to create one of those "see this thread" active links (though I'd really like to know how), the MO-TECH extenders don't move the mirrors out laterally a lot, but they made enough difference that I really can see a lot better behind me: more road, less arm. I saw them on Redfish Hunter's FJR and his Pop's had em too I think, at YFO in June, and liked how they kept the lines of the bike. Worked especially for me, since the black extenders don't contrast much with the Graphite color of the '15, but they looked good on Redfish's beautimous Red '14.

I wanted to see if I could create a photo series to show the install. It's pretty simple, the only semi-not-easy part is getting the panels and dash cowling off. This is a good skill to learn, and once you do it once, it's really very easy after that, cause you're not a-scared yur gonna break stuff when the tabs pop. Soooo, I did some photos of just removing the two upper side panels, and the dash cowl. This is really a knock-off of the first part of McAtrophy's GREAT pictorial guide to FJR faring removal that if I knew how to do one a those God-Dang "see this thread" things, I'd send ya right there, but I've printed out those instructions with pictures and keep em under my pillow at night. All told, it would have taken maybe around a hour if I didn't take pictures. The extenders are $65 at Twisted Throttle.

My faring series is just for Noobs (or is it FNGs?) like me, or those maybe new to a Gen III, cause I remember how it was the first time I tried to get under the plastic. For most y'all, this is pretty basic, but if it helps someone who hasn't done it before, then alright.

I put the before and after photos at the front of album for those who just wanna see the results. I tried to take the after photos at the same distance and angle in front of our car and held the camera at my eye area. Had the bike in the middle of the street sideways in my shorts and flip flops taking those photos, so needless, the neighbors were kinda wondering WTF is he doin'? And in any event, it was really hard to get the same angle of bike to car to head, but I went for a long ride today, and it was pretty clear I was Seein' More Rear (and I wasn't even in the city where the women-folk are).

Hope it helps, and this share address BETTER WORK! The photos have my comments on them.

https://goo.gl/photos/z9CXXcceJGPrba7e6

Good job with the Google album, and it looks like a pretty thorough writeup. Was that (I mean the album) pretty straightforward to set up? I'm sick of seeing Photofucket's little gray meter logo on so many posts around here. Suppose I'll want to try another service in case I want to post pics here ever again. And of course, free is better. :)

Very cool. And be prepared for some heat cause RFH has the Liquid Graphite '15. Pants and Pops each have the panty dropping pink! Just sayin'

just did mine last week. One extra piece of advice, there is a clip on the right lower fairing that may pop off so keep an eye on it. Lost mine in the body and had to order new one from yamaha

Sac Mike: go to a post I did in the Misc area, called: " Photo Sharing in Google: alternative to Photobucket? "

I still don't know how to do a "see this thread" link, but I also asked in that post how to do that, so in the future I can link something like that directly in a post. Do YOU know how to do that? Reply in that other post (otherwise we're WAY off topic here!) Lemme know if that Google Share Folder method seems workable to ya! Cheers

D

Twisted Throttle is where i got mine, as they are the US distributor of this German product. Tou should be able to mail order from them like i did. Probably quicker to you, they're on the East Coast. They were $65 USD

Thanks for the pictures and the post. Really close to getting these.

I have used the FZ-1 prior on my Gen ii, but didn't know if they would work on the Gen IV.

These does improve the view. Must say, not as drastic as the FZ-1 mirrors on the Gen II.

The extenders don't look that bad either. Probably would go good in contrast with my Matte Blue.

I bought these but haven't installed them yet. I'm building a new house and waiting until I have a clean space to work removing the plastic. I also slightly bent the left stay on a drop that I want to straighten when I install these. With any luck, if I ever drop it again and the mirrors get hit, the extender will snap and protect the stay. Ha! One can wish, right?

Dan

I bought those as well.... not huge addition on added visibility but I like them....

I also drilled through the middle and added my LR4 lights up there, perfect mounting place for them IMO...

PJF_6836_zpsqbhefuy4.jpg

PJF_6833_zpsinqq90n3.jpg

A bit blurry but you get the idea ..

PJF_5715_zpsb2bf28c0.jpg

BTW I'm not proud of photobucket, but thats where they are stored for now... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought these but haven't installed them yet. I'm building a new house and waiting until I have a clean space to work removing the plastic. I also slightly bent the left stay on a drop that I want to straighten when I install these. With any luck, if I ever drop it again and the mirrors get hit, the extender will snap and protect the stay. Ha! One can wish, right?
Dan
Please be careful with that Stay and bending it back in place. You can go to far; my stay was built on my 2008, too much bending it and then the JB weld was in play.

Just be careful please.

I installed mine in order to make room for my monster auxiliary lights.

Looking forward to trying them out once the snow leaves.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures and the post. Really close to getting these. I have used the FZ-1 prior on my Gen ii, but didn't know if they would work on the Gen IV.

These does improve the view. Must say, not as drastic as the FZ-1 mirrors on the Gen II.

The extenders don't look that bad either. Probably would go good in contrast with my Matte Blue.
The FZ-1 mirrors will work on the Gen IV (III). You will need to get some 1/8" rubber material to fill the recessed void. Use some blue loc-tite on the threads as there are not many threads beyond flush with the nuts. I've used them on my 2007 and the current 2014 and would not be without.