The "No Picture" Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I got the weekly email from the BMW club announcing their "Coffee Klatch" up in Rapid City. I slept in this morning and the Ladies went golfing so at 0930 I decided WTF, beats sitting in my chair. The Grey Ghost is waiting for me in Memphis so the Blue Beast (KLR) was my choice.

A quick 45 minute Smokey Slab ride got me to coffee, two hours of Bull Shit later I was ready to ride more. Actually I was ready after 30 minutes but being an old pervert, and being in the presence of some great young beauty at an adjacent table I stuck it out until the bitter end. Saddled up at noon and headed towards Rochford, SD where the Moonshine Gulch Saloon hosts an impromptu music session each Sunday. After a gas stop I headed out SD 44 to Johnson Siding, then up the Morris Peak Road until I turned left onto the Memo Road. Clear sailing, except for a few lollygagging pirates which the Blue Beast readily dispatched. I do believe I received at least one "You are #1" salute while leaving the " Matey" behind. Followed Nemo Road to US 385, crossed 385 and got onto gravel and rode gravel, dirt, goat trail to Rochford, no Music today, after an hour and a half emered onto US 85 at Oneil Pass. Followed 85 North to Cheyenne Crossing, little traffic, leaves at altitude just starting to turn. Turned left at Cheyenne Crossing into Spearfish Canyon, expecting lots of traffic and slow progress but was pleasantly surprised and was able to maintain KLR nominal of 55mph through the canyon. It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Home at 3:00PM after 200 miles of sheer fun.

Only thing that sucked was and is the Smoke which has returned after a clear week. Air quality sucks!

Off to Minnesota next Thursday to visit my Granddaughter then up into Northern Wisconsin and down to Chicago for my wife's and her Sisters birthdays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep the smoke in the Black Hills sucked today. No good photo today. We got some good riding in around Spearfish today. We left Custer after a great breakfast and worked our way Northwest all day untill we made it to JC Stagestop just North of Aladdin. We gassed up and rode right by that restaurant in Buelah WY that you took Tyler, Fester and I to two years ago. Tomorrow morning we are kickstands up at 8 and heading into Bell Fouche sometime around 9:00 to have breakfast and then we head North to Buffalo for the night.

Do the BMW guys let KLRs join them? Maybe you need to get a couple of these.

roundel-klr__98171.1414116008.800.600.jpg

Geez John, that KLR is creating mental problems or at least exacerbating preexisting nutcake tendancies. If you can make your way thru the smoke, then you can take my FJR out for a ride for a few days. I know you are suffering from FJR withdrawals.

Your delicate tush will have to deal with a manly Corbin seat.

Last edited by a moderator: