Route Suggestions from Crater Lake--by Car

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
My wife--Sacramento Janet--is joining me in retirement this fall. We're planning a pretty long car trip at the end of the month. The first part's pretty well planned out except for one 2-day stretch. We'll be in Crater Lake, then heading to Jackson, WY for a couple days before Yellowstone, Cody, Red Lodge and NW from there, probably Idaho, maybe as far as Seattle. That part's still open.

But it's more than one good day's drive to Jackson from Crater Lake, so I'd like sto hear some ideas on scenic roads (not so much motorcycle roads) in the right direction to hit Jackson on the second day. Nice scenery, interesting sights or places to stop and be tourists are the goal. Great places to eat along the way, if you have thoughts. Also, maybe ideas about a nice place maybe halfway or so along that stretch to spend one night.

Love to see what you say. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose to go to Bend (drink beer!). Then go to Prineville and stay. Eat at the Ochoco or Crooked River Brewing Companies. From there take 26 east. Wonderful rolling hills and trees. Stay on 26 to Vale. Take your pick of roads to Boise and stay the night. Eat at Bittercreek or 10 barrel brewpubs. Next day head to Mountain Home then take 20 and visit Craters of the Moon. Continue to Idaho Falls. I could not find good food in Idaho Falls. So continue to Jackson. Eat at Snake River Brewing or go to The Bird and enjoy the view.

Congrats to Janet! One of the sweetest, creative and gentle souls on the planet. However she must be blind to stay with you Mike....just like my wife.
smile.png

Craters of the Moon National Park. JSNS

I chose to go to Bend (drink beer!). Then go to Prineville and stay. Eat at the Ochoco or Crooked River Brewing Companies. From there take 26 east. Wonderful rolling hills and trees. Stay on 26 to Vale. Take your pick of roads to Boise and stay the night. Eat at Bittercreek or 10 barrel brewpubs. Next day head to Mountain Home then take 20 and visit Craters of the Moon. Continue to Idaho Falls. I could not find good food in Idaho Falls. So continue to Jackson. Eat at Snake River Brewing or go to The Bird and enjoy the view.
This is a good base plan that has nice options that you could fine-tune into a GREAT scenic trip. You won't have a lot of dilly-dally time so you might as well get on good roads.

It also depends on when you're leaving Crater Lake, and where you're spending the night before. If you're getting out of Crater Lake early in the day, i'd suggest going east of Bend for lodging to alow for more time in the more scenic areas.

I only come to the forum every other september 12th ...so Mike, so catch me direct unless you want to wait 2years.

if I can help you out with anything, especially in the Crater Lake area glad to do it. My folks live a few minutes outside of Crater Lake and I have a lot of family in the area.

Sacramento Kathy is a lucky gal.

1austin (at) renojohn (dot) com

There are currently more than 10 fires burning just east of Crater lake according the the current Official Oregon fire map. You may want to check the area before heading to the lake ?

ug. The smoke. I'm hoping it's cleared up some by then--sucked up enough of it during the eclipse. Reno John--surprised to see you pop up here, dude. You're like that Scottish village in "Brigadoon" that only shows up every 100 years. (Is there a single SOUL here who remembers that movie?) Not sure of our schedule on that day, but I'll probably hit you up; with an email. And you have your own web domain? How can I get "SacMike.com?"

Thanks for suggestions, guys. And since we'll end up coming back here, maybe what we don't see on the way out, we can catch on the way back.

I'll sell it to ya cheap Mike!

Right after I go look up Brigadoon......

Last edited by a moderator:
ug. The smoke. I'm hoping it's cleared up some by then--sucked up enough of it during the eclipse. Reno John--surprised to see you pop up here, dude. You're like that Scottish village in "Brigadoon" that only shows up every 100 years. (Is there a single SOUL here who remembers that movie?) Not sure of our schedule on that day, but I'll probably hit you up; with an email. And you have your own web domain? How can I get "SacMike.com?"
Thanks for suggestions, guys. And since we'll end up coming back here, maybe what we don't see on the way out, we can catch on the way back.
Mike,

Not to put a damper on things, but the smoke in just about the entire west has been horrible. We just returned from a trip (ended it a week early due to smoke) up through ID on 55/95, on to Canada (Lake Louise/Banff), western MT, WY, UT and back through NV. The smoke sucked up any decent visibility just about everywhere, but the worst was western MT near Missoula that actually blocked out the sun and was about a mile at best. We were told a day prior to arriving in Canada (when we inquired) that the visibility was great, but upon arrival found we couldn't see the magnificent peaks near Banff. Last time on the bike in 2012 it was rain / low clouds, so we're 0-2. The pic below was shot while camped outside of Jackson shows the best the vis we got in 3 days there, so things can improve if the air mass moves favorably. My .02 is if you can postpone your trip for a few weeks to let our brave firefighters get these things out and/or some rain to clear out the smoke, your trip will be much more enjoyable.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7xUlt