Avon Spirit ST Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossyrocks13k

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or tried the new Avon Spirit. I am really interested to see how they handle wet weather. They come with a prorated warranty for 15,000 miles and a road hazard for the first 2500 miles. Saw them at the AIMExpo show and look very aggressive.

spirit_st_full.png

(Mods, please move this to NRPT)

Please don't ask us to to that. ASPIRE to create a thread that isn't NEPRT-worthy....which you have Including a link and a picture was a very nice gesture as well. I don't recall this model being discussed many times and only one person went off-topic (hint folks....talk only about this specific tire...and resist your urge to talk about different ones). As long as it stays on topic--we leave it where you created it.

Thanks

The Management

P.S. Sheesh folks! That didn't last very long. An extra hint....these kinds of posts are hijacks.

I will wait and see how these do before I buy. Currently really liking insert another tire model this thread isn't about a lot and have another set of insert another tire model this thread isn't about to burn through before I'm ready for something new.
I have many thousands of miles on insert another tire model this thread isn't about
I have become a fan of insert tire model that this thread isn't about - I compare them past experiences installed my Gen 1 FJR to insert another tire model this thread isn't about, insert another tire model this thread isn't about, and insert another tire model this thread isn't about.Never heard about the Avon Spirit yet....
If your experience isn't in or around the OP "Has anyone seen or tried the new Avon Spirit."...don't post!

And if you can't sit on your hands and wait for somebody who has seen or tried them...go post in one of the many, Many, MANY other NEPRT threads instead.

Contrary to some perceptions we DON'T want to move things to NEPRT. We want new, interesting, and FJR-related threads and for people to stick reasonably to the subject. We don't want people to see a thread about x brand oil or y model tire and talk about their experiences with z. Keep the conversation reasonably focused on the original title of the thread and jist of it.

Thanks again.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked at the Avon page linked above. I see the Road Hazard replacement warranty but I do not see the prorated 15,000 mile treadwear warranty anywhere on the page?

They very explicitly state that the rear tire is dual compound, implying that the front is not. That is a plus, in my books. Having dual compound on a front tire is unnecessary, and at least partly responsible for the trapezoidal wear pattern that results in such horrible handling after being 1/2 worn.

It looks like $275 a set from Revzilla. That’s pretty competitive to other ST tires. Think I’ll give these a go for the next set.

I just sent a note to my contact at Avon about the threadwear;

They came with it but then we discontinued the mileage warranty as of March 31 2018. The UK is now handling and they didn't have a way to oversee it. The road hazard does cover the Avon tires.

Canadian FJR

Treadwear depends far too much on the user, and the roads being ridden. They probably realized that there is no way to warranty treadwear on a motorcycle without losing your shirt. The road hazard warranty (US and UK only, per Avon web site) is a nice touch but wont help you Scott. Maybe they have ridden in the Maritime provinces and know how bad your roads are?

Treadwear depends far too much on the user, and the roads being ridden. They probably realized that there is no way to warranty treadwear on a motorcycle without losing your shirt. The road hazard warranty (US and UK only, per Avon web site) is a nice touch but wont help you Scott. Maybe they have ridden in the Maritime provinces and know how bad your roads are?

I was really surprised to see a mileage warranty on the tires. Guess someone at Avon woke up.
help.gif

It doesn't work like that. You can't create threads in NEPRT for a reason. All should keep to the thread's subject....which this one has...and it will stay in Parts and Accessories where you started it.

I put a set of these on just a few weeks ago and have to say that I'm impressed so far.

I run tires farther than a lot of folk might so for me to say New tire is better than Old tire is not fair since Old tire would have been acting poorly due to excessive wear and New tire is, well... new.

All I can say is they feel very planted in the corners and I'm enjoying them.

I have a set of these on my '17. I live in the UK and can tell you that they are good in the wet as well as the dry!!

Have now done 4k miles on this set. I ride with panniers all the time and you may call it spirited...tyres work well. Good wet grip when cornering, going in, mid way and coming out. No issues at all. Front tyre has kept its shape. Rear has kept its shape with feathering to the edges. Can use all of the tyre too!!

I have done 12k ish miles in the last year and this is my 3rd set of tyres! First set lasted only 3400 miles new....took the bike to France and Germany when it was 3 weeks old. 2nd set were PR4's ...approx 5k miles and now this set.

I am quite happy if I get 6k miles from a set of tyres. Will be getting another set of these in a couple of months time

Interesting. I was a HUGE fan of the old Avon Azarros. But wasn't necessarily blown away by Avon's quality control. Might have to try one of the fronts paired up with my retard rear tire.

Going to try them, Stepping out of my box from PR2's. Arriving next week.

Dave