Who's the FJR aftermarket suspension authority?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punkinhead

Reaction score
Seems like for every bike I've owned there's a vendor who took a special interest in offering suspension upgrade components specific to that bike, meaning they can give good recommendations on spring rates, front valving, shock choices, etc. Is there one (or a couple) for the FJR? I've got a '13 and would like to upgrade front and rear suspension over the winter.

I'll give GP a look. I have their valving in my FZ09 and they work great. I have a Penske double clicker on the back of the FZ and it's brilliant too but I'm not sure if that level of shock is necessary for the FJR.

For my Gen 1 FJR, I went the Hyperpro rear suspension path back in early 2013, and its been a very positive experience:

https://epmperf.com/hyperpro-street-box-suspension-kits/

Klaus and his staff in New Jersey did a nice job, and I will be returning my shock assembly for its mid-life rebuild probably next year.

Good luck in your quest.

+1 on Traxxion. They did my '08. Rides on rails now. Much less front end dive. Takes bumps in the corners much better. A round or two of preload and fully loaded two up is still damn fun in the corners.

For my Gen 1 FJR, I went the Hyperpro rear suspension path back in early 2013, and its been a very positive experience:
Klaus and his staff in New Jersey did a nice job, and I will be returning my shock assembly for its mid-life rebuild probably next year.

Good luck in your quest.
I have heard great feedback from Traxxion, GP, and even RaceTech customers but decided to go with Klaus at EPM.

+1 on Hyperpro quality and performance for my needs.

Great customer service and the first rebuild is free.

+3 on Traxxion Dynamics. They also support the FJR community through sponsorship of EOM.

Hyper Pro...Shock & fork spring...valving not required...less than $700, includes servicing of shock too. FJR does not need fork valving unless your Kenny Roberts Sr

i installed on '09

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my 09 front and rear suspension work done by Marc Connelly of Adirondacks and Beyond a little over a year ago and it was the best $ I've spent on my bike thus far. I would say that Marc (518-796-8186) is one of the foremost motorcycle suspension experts in the northeast (Lake George, NY) and he can give you some great ideas on what to do with your bike. FYI I have Traxxion AK-20 cartridge kit for my front suspension and a Penske mono shock with remote in the rear.

Bump.

I'm waiting to see if GP offers a winter sale to outfit both ends of my '13. I'm curious why several shock vendors, Ohlins in particular, only list their products working for years 06-12. I thought all years were interchangeable.

I installed an Ohlins (remote preload, remote compression damping) shortly after I bought the bike in 8/2013. A few months later when GP finished their R&D on their 25mm fork cartridges I bought a set of those and installed. Bike handles great.

Just to follow up, I ended up buying an Ohlins YA707 double clicker with remote ride height adjustment and a 20mm fork revalve kit with new springs from GP Suspension. I've installed them both and it went pretty smoothly although, be warned, the fork revalve kit came without instructions so you'll want to be comfortable with cartridge forks if you do it yourself. Also, the Ohlins instructions for installing the remote ride height adjuster were wrong and it took some creative head scratching to get it mounted but it worked out fine. I took some pictures in case someone wants to give it a try themselves. The FJR forks were actually easier to work on than some I've done. It's too cold to test them out, but I expect good things.