Funky Flasher Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamanick

Reaction score
I noticed that my flashers are not working, i.e., signaling. But the two front light up and the left rear as well. The right rear does not light up. I discovered the bulb is fine but while removing the bulb I noticed the left rear now does not light up. So both front light up but do not signal. Both rear do not even light up. I have a Signal Minder cancelling relay in place of the flasher relay for the past 3 years no problem. Replaced with a new Signal Minder relay. Same problem. No fixie. Can't find a fuse issue. Wiring/connections best I ca n tell are fine. I do have a power strip connected to battery for other accessories....grip warmer, Tom Tom, vest located under seat and connect to battery with a splice to keyed power. That's it. I have it in the shop now and getting no real help. They wanted to replace the flasher even after I had told them I replaced the Signal Minder with a new one and still had the problem. I do a lot on my bike but the electrical is out of my realm. I can only think that if the right was out and left on then all of a sudden the left stopped lighting up....there must be a short or bad connection. All this to say (and thank you if you labored through reading all this) what else could it be? 2005 FJR 1300

All this to say (and thank you if you labored through reading all this) what else could it be? 2005 FJR 1300
A few things I can think of...two probably more extreme:

• Don't assume the bulb is "fine". Replace it with a new one and see what happens or at the very least use a multimeter to confirm.
  • Your power strip. Run all of that and you don't say whether you've used a trigger wire and relay setup or a if you "splice" truly into a circuit...ick!
  • Take out the non-standard stuff from the equation (e.g. Signal Minder).
  • It could be a worn wiring harness. I had similar turn signal issues as mine (also a 2005) rubbed through after a spirited ride with about 165,000 on the odometer. Eventually started popping the fuse, but kinda ghosty in the interim. Check the harness as it goes around the valve cover on the #1 cylinder. The 2nd and 3rd wires to go were running lights and then windshield. I posted about it 3 years ago after coming back from Nevada.

Cascading failures are usually not because of a single

component such as the Signal Minder.

I suspect a bad or deteriorating connector between

the rear lights and main wiring harness.

Start at one end of the bike and open, inspect and clean

every relative connector.

Cascading failures are usually not because of a singlecomponent such as the Signal Minder.

I suspect a bad or deteriorating connector between

the rear lights and main wiring harness.

Start at one end of the bike and open, inspect and clean

every relative connector.
I had something similar happen two years ago on my 08 and did what SLK50 suggested above. It was a lot of work. I went through every connection and checked all switches and relays per the service manual. All I found was a couple of slightly corroded terminal connectors. I cleaned those up and lubed all the connectors with some dielectric grease. Not sure what exactly fixed the problem but, I haven't any issues since then and have put an additional 20K on the odo with some long days of riding in the rain. Good luck.

Get a multi-meter with a continuity checker on it. Trying to find a broken wire is almost impossible if the wire breaks inside the insulation.

Update....not that you don't have anything better to do. Took bike to shop (East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, CA). OMG. After 10 days I called only to find out they were calling an old number of mine from 10 years ago. Even though I told them I have an aftermarket signal relay (Signal Minder) and I replaced it to see if that would cure the problem, which it did not, the mechanic took apparently 1 hour to determine that since I had an aftermarket item in place of the flasher he could not/would not diagnose the problem. Apparently, he saw my power strip which has wires running from battery and one splice to on/off source and called off the effort. I never could talk to the mechanic the phone dude was no help. I conveyed, "look the signal minder works fine, can't you use an ohm meter and simply work the connections for continuity? I said, "Hey, it would talk you 5 minutes to put everything back to stock (unsplice the wire and disconnect power strip). Wouldn't do it. I have to go back and pick up the bike. This mechanic put down one hour for doing absolutely nothing!! $125 in the Bay Area. I'm going to speak to the manager of course. I'm off to Santa Rosa with our Search and Rescue so it will have to wait. I will do it myself through inspection. I ordered the stock relay (can't find my old one) just to test it. Of course, the dude on Ebay sent what looks like a not 2005 part. a 14 pin connector. Anyone have a pic of the 2005 flasher? Thanks for the responses. I'll go through all the wiring. Cheers.