Sena --Ride Connected app

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
I just noticed the Ride Connected App today on their site. I downloaded it to my phone and my GF phone and we wore our helmets inside today to try it out. Seems easy to use. I was wondering if anyone else has downloaded the app and used it in a real world environment.

I haven't used it but I think that if you don't have any cell service, then you don't have any connection. Where I like to ride, you don't have squat...

Haven't seen that. Is it supposed to be better than straight-up headset pairing?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to use cell service to augment the connection when one rider gets too far away, but defaults back to BT when the rider is closer.
I can't get anyone I ride with to install it... when we're not riding, it isn't important, and when we are riding... we're riding.

Does this only work with certain models? Just wondering since I still have a pair of SMH10s. I have 2 of them that I swap out when the battery on unit 1 dies on long distance rides.

Does this only work with certain models? Just wondering since I still have a pair of SMH10s. I have 2 of them that I swap out when the battery on unit 1 dies on long distance rides.
According to SENA it does. I have a buddy with a SMH10 and we will try it on a trip planned later this month.

Tried it and found the interface to be a little difficult to get it to connect. AFAIK, it doesn't try to go back and forth between cel data and BT. There are lots of places outside of cities and interstates where there's no signal and it doesn't work. IMHO, as long as you're within sight of each other, the BT works better!

Looking forward to trying out the 30k's I have on order- they will maximize what one can get out of BT.

Norm Kern

I've put my helmet on in my living room and used it to talk to someone in Germany.

I'm looking at the Sena 20S dual pack. Looking just to talk to my wife/pillion, a couple other riders, some rock and roll streamed and maybe some GPS directions.

The 30K is great for large riding groups to use Sena's mesh networking tech.

Anybody have the Sena 20S?

The ride connected app works best for large groups and/or talking over a long distance (out of Bluetooth range) but you have to stay within cellular service . It will work with all of the Sena models, however the lower models like SMH10 you have to activate the intercom through the app. Meaning you have to have your phone out available to tap the intercom button on the app. The later models (with Bluetooth 4.1) you can store your phone away (in a tank bag for example) and use the Sena unit intercom button to remotely activate the intercom on the ride connect app. The Sena does a great job prioritizing intercom and music however when usin the app on a phone and using the “same” phone for music the Sena can’t prioritize because both are coming from the same device. I found the app doesn’t handle this very well.

I just got home from a 9 day trip. My buddy had a SMH10 and we didn’t use the ride connected app because it was just the 2 of us. We met up with Hotrodzilla for a day of riding and had trouble pairing all 3 Senas so I suggested using the app but he said we would not be in cell service for some of the ride, so we didn’t bother.

Hope this helps some.

My oldest SMH10 is almost 4 years old, and I've swapped the battery in several of mine. The OEM battery is 560mah, and on ebay you can get a 650mah that gives you more talk time. Nothing hard about the swap except you have to cut the plug off the old battery and solder it onto the new battery. The wires are very tiny. The old battery is held in with double-sided tape. The new battery is barely larger and slips right in with no tape needed. I've done this a few times,and it's always nice to go from 30-40 minutes talk time to going strong all day again. Batteries are less than $10.

Search on 3.7V 650 mAh Li-polymer rechargeable Battery Li-Po ion 602248.

s-l225.jpg

RFlagg42 posted: I've put my helmet on in my living room and used it to talk to someone in Germany.
So I assume the signal went Bluetooth from your helmet to your cell phone, then cellular from your phone to Germany?

My understanding is: Bluetooth to cell phone, cell phone data to the internet, internet to Germany - it's a VOIP system.

jtdunc posted: Thanks Uncle Hud!
No prob, FNG. By the way, I've had no issues mounting the 20S to the Bell Vortex in my avatar, a Bell Star, or a Shoei Neotec. My girlfriend's FLY helmet? That was a double-sided tape mount.

(PS: You can use the Advanced Search feature -- the gear icon to the right of the search box -- to find a whole shitload of good information contained in this virtual hallowed hall.)