Yamaha NIKEN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
My first bike was a Piaggio MP3. Two wheels in the front gives you more braking power, stability in the corners and when it's raining you hardly even know it. I would still have it if the cost of maintaining it hadn't been so much. Although this one does look a little weird I would like to take it around a few curves!

I would like to find a Yamaha demo days next spring, summer and try one of these out.

It reminds me of those three wheeled Piaggio scooters.

For many, aging means considering a trike or reverse trike.

For me, at least for now, it means wishing that Yammy-USA would import the YCCS model of the FJR ... and barring that, buying that new DCT Goldwing.

Right now, I feel like I would rather take my truck than a trike ... but I might feel differently later. Ive already dealt with vertigo issues a few times, one of which began 30 miles from home on an FJR. Thats sobering, and makes a trike look pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this bike will be a popular bike for Yamaha. It looks like a fun bike and will allow those who cannot handle 2 wheels but still give the thrills of a motorcycle. I would love to try one out.

Right now, I feel like I would rather take my truck than a trike ... but I might feel differently later. Ive already dealt with vertigo issues a few times, one of which began 30 miles from home on an FJR. Thats sobering, and makes a trike look pretty good.
In 2007-2008, I had a 06' ZX14. Nearby where I lived at the time was a country road that screamed open throttle. It was a four mile stretch with a slight kink at the one mile point. After running the road to check for debris and traffic I would crank it to about 150 and hold it there until passing the kink and then roll to full throttle to reach 186 holding for a few seconds, then letting off. Fast forward to present I have another new to me 06' ZX14. The best place we have nearby now is only about a mile. When I crank to 160 I wondering if I'm going to see the small marker indicating when to let off and 160+ seems to be plenty to satisfy my need for speed. At 71 (half way to 72 years old), I can now see the day coming that 2 wheels may not be the best for me. That thought depresses me because, like you, I would rather take the Jeep than a trike of any kind.

At present I'm more interested in getting an H2, although I don't need the supercharged HP or speed, because well....I just want one. I would have to test ride one and somehow make storage room, but I have enough penny's to make a purchase regardless of the impracticality. But, when the day comes I feel uncomfortable on 2 wheels, I think I would be more interested in this new Yamaha Niken rather than a trike, Spider or Slingshot. So, if they distribute this bike in the US, I will be watching and keeping an eye on it. If that is in 2018, I can see myself taking a demo ride on it at Bike Week in Scottsdale. I certainly don't like how wide it appears in the front, but photos are deceiving. Like my grand-pappy used to say (which I have learned the hard way over the years), Never Say Never!

Im attracted to the H2 too.

I still like that naval pulled through your backbone feeling, but I am not so interested in the top end any more.

Maybe at Loring, but not on public roads shared with critters, meth heads, and incompetent distracteds. 😮

nice, now instead of spending $300+ per (2) tires every 5-6 months, I'd have to throw more money on a THIRD tire!
uhoh.gif

Huh...Honestly, when I saw the comments above, I thought, "This is going to be stupid." Then I watched the video. After all the unnecessary ninja BS, I was surprised. That actually looks kind of cool. I definitely want to ride one; just to see how far it'll actually lean, and if the extra weight up front makes it feel slow, or actually makes it slow. It sounds badass in that video, but I'm betting he never broke 40mph. I guess we'll see.

... "hoping (dreaming) of a 900cc-range Super Ten"... I'm hoping/dreaming of the T7 we've been teased with for the past year! As much as I love my DR650, a T7 could be my 'Goldilocks' bike.

This isn't a trike that will stand by itself IT can fall over. No locking of forks to hold it up, its got a kickstand.

900cc triple Aka FJ 900 engine.

Piaggio scooters lock the suspension at 3 mph so it won't lean if centered.

Test ride would be nice. Coming to a Yamaha dealer near you soon enough.