Code 19 and start-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse H

Reaction score
I searched and a few older threads mentioned this code has something to do with the kickstand sensor; here's what I experienced today.

Rode the bike to work this morning and parked it. Almost 12 hours later I put the key in, turn to on position, thumb the start button and it didn't fire up. I thought I simply let go of the button too soon, since other than not firing up everything was normal.

So I give it another go. This time I hold the start button longer and it won't fire up. Just spins. I let go and try again and no go. I finally noted the 19 on the display. I turn the key to the off position then back on and it fired up normally.

The bike was on the side stand, in neutral, I did not pull the clutch in. Is this something I need to keep an eye on?

Thanks

If the starter is working and the engine is spinning, try putting the throttle wide open while the engine is spinning. That’s pretty common on this bike. Good Luck.

I'm having same thing happen now. I haven't got into it yet, but looking at FSM It seems it's either the ignition switch, or the relay unit, or bad connection at harness plug. Fault code 19 is a break or disconnect of the black/red ECM wire. That wire goes from the ignition switch, goes thru harness plugs, to relay unit , to side stand, to clutch switch. Looks like it may be completeing a circuit in the ECM (like maybe the injectors) which allows the engine to run.

I think mine is the ignition switch. Or maybe the relay unit because it it so intermittent, and seems to have something to do with the turning key off and on again, but hard to tell it's very intermittent. I'm going to start with checking the ignition switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the bike run up to temperature before it was parked? Many of us have had the situation where the bike was shut off when it wasn't warmed up yet and this happens. At that point, I would try Magicmaker's suggestion.

If it's spinning at a Very Fast rate... look up Fast Starter Syndrome.

I had it on my '03 and solved it by pulling the (wet) plugs and adding some oil to each cylinder for added compression.

It caught (almost ) right away vs. a long hard crank at WFO.

It's not temp related, or fast start syndrome, or flooded, because it may happen at a gas stop when warmed up. After cycling the key a couple times it starts normal with no evidence of flooding. Also it sets a fault code 19. I'm going to start by checking the ignition switch. I posted to maybe help anyone else that is going thru this. Thanks for the input guys.
smile.png

The common problem is the second (smaller) set of contacts in the ignition switch. Those contacts enable the fuel injection and are in the same inhibit circuit as the kickstand, which is why you get the code 19. You can try to clean the contacts by switching the key on and off a bunch or times. But its difficult to get any contact cleaner in on the electric part of the switch without disassembling.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

PS - its good to see you posting, Art, even if it is for a problem. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a small hole on the bottom of the ignition switch. Hard to get to, but if you get some contact cleaner with a tube, you can bend the tube and squirt some up there. May work for a while. Eventually, you'll probably end up changing the switch.

Took the ignition switch apart and found a dirty contact. Cleaned contacts, coated them with Di-electric grease, put back together. It is working as designed now.
smile.png