Tires for an Alaskan trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorSSJ

Reaction score
I'm looking for tire recommendations for a trip that will be about 8500 miles on an FJR. I normally use Pilot Road 4s, and really love them, but I don't think they'll go the distance, and I'd like to avoid getting new tires on the trip. I will be doing some camping, so although I will be riding single the bike will be fairly loaded down.

Thanks!

Can't do much better for longevity than a PR4. If you're interested in trying something different you can always run a set of 90/10 tires although you probably won't gain much mileage.

How far up are you going?

--G

The roads in the northern BC, Yukon and Alaska are largely chip sealed and tough on tires. You may or may not make the trip on one set of tires, but were I you I'd just plan on changing tires in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Tires are more expensive up there, but worth the peace of mind in my opinion. In Fairbanks I'd recommend Adventure Cycle Works. Dan Armstrong will acquire and hold tires for you if you contact him. In Anchorage Alaska Leather or The Motorcycle Store are good choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get that out of a PR4, if you are being reasonable and the roads aren't too bad. The front for sure. You could always try a car tire for the rear. If you do that, make sure you give it a good try (a couple thousand miles) before you head out. The CT would do that trip at least six times! They aren't for everyone. I did a total of 50000 miles on two different car tires and as much as I wanted to like them, it just wasn't going to happen. Some people love them.

I have had pretty good mileage out of the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3 so far but can't tell you if they will outlast the Michelins.

Edit: I see the chipseal comments above. That will definitely reduce the lifetime! You might have to consider the possibility of needing a fresh tire or two...

Where are you planning on riding?

Is Prudhoe Bay on your agenda?

Having ridden the Dempster on my KLR last June I wouldn't attempt it on my FJR no matter what tires I had on it.

I wore out a set of Shinko 804/805 50/50 tires in 6,000 miles, changed tires to 90/10 Shinko for the ride home on the pavement. If you are planning to ride Top of the World from Dawson City to Chicken you will want a dry couple of days no matter what tires you have on your FJR but it is doable.

Never rode to Alaska on a bike but done it in a cage. The route you cite has pretty good road conditions. If you run PR4's, keep the psi up and go easy on the cornering and speed you should be able to make it on one set. My current set of PR4's have 9100 miles and most of it on sealed chip roads. Both tires have just less than half tread remaining. Two thirds of the miles were on southwest mountains and northwest mountains/coastal winding roads. I weigh 145 lbs., typically load 65 lbs. of baggage , and ride one up. I typically get between 12 and 15K miles on PR tires. About the same on PR2 and 4's.

Car tire on the back, rear tyre on the front.....should pull you thru.

I see you have come out of hibernation. I missed your satyrical humor!!
fool.gif

I've made the trip four times on an RT and four times on an R1200R. My tires were shot after 5-6000 miles. I had to buy a tire in Prince George once. Waited three days and paid $400 (US) for a tire that was for a sport bike and lasted only about 2000 miles. Spousal Unit made the same trips on either an F650GS or F800GS, always running Tourances. Her tires held up better because of the lighter weight, but the rear tire would not have made it 8000 miles.

In the summer of 2014, I was riding on Montana's hwy 49 (aka Looking Glass Road), and pulled over to see the pic that I now use for my profile here.

Met a guy on a new Kawi 1400 Concours up from Arkansas, headed to Alaska. He had a pair of new tires on the back, and described how the next night, when he was somewhere in British Columbia he planned to do his own on-the-spot tire change (front and rear) right in the motel parking lot. Had all the tire irons and other bits he'd need I guess.

I have yet to attempt the same feat - used to hand-change my dirtbike tires over 30 years ago, but less excited about fighting to get a modern sport-touring strength tire off / on outside my own garage at home.

Just about time for AuburnFJR or BeamerRereamer to tell you how you can do it on a picknick table in alaska. JSNS
our trip was chronicled Alaska 2016 here. We run the PR2 for the trip towing trailers, riding 2up. We rode about 7000 miles total, and carried spare tires front and rear. Only need the rear, but if you need a tire, you need to bring it with you and have the means to change it, or you are at the mercy of local shops and could be waiting a few days as others have said. We did cover about 250 miles of gravel roads including the Top of the World Hwy from Tok to Dawson City.

The route you suggest is all paved, except for the sections they will be rebuilding which usually are 10 miles or less of gravel at a time, but you will encounter several dirt sections throughout your ride. If time is your limit, then I highly recommend you carry spare tires, a means to change them, and balance them, then you are not hostage to whatever is available. We changed a rear tire in about an hour with hand tools.

We usually get about 6,000 - 6,500 miles on a set, but one in the group had a flat rear, so we put the new tire on his bike, which took my spare. Had to buy a rear in the Yukon on the way home. Was lucky they had a tire in stock that fit, but was for a sport bike. It got me home, that is about all I can say positive about the tire.

Pictures of the tire change

t1e4vHo.jpg

wPb2DuC.jpg

you can see the bead breaker tools I carried (since up graded to a set that Aerostitch sells). Breaking the bead is the most difficult thing to do in this whole evolution.

iTQLiKe.jpg

you can see my tire irons from getting the tire off and on. MotionPro makes these.

R6igjBX.jpg

PcNsjW5.jpg

Carried my Marc Panes balancer and some stick on weights

85Hvezc.jpg

All done. Took a bout an hour start to finish.

WvbY6XK.jpg

Please talk about your Top of the World transit
Coming out of Tok, we had mixed weather with light showers occasionally. we encountered dirt roads the last 30-40 miles into Chicken, our destination for the night.

typical condition of the road when wet

WDLWv1x.jpg

Since it was going to pour that night, we got to camp under the picnic shelter. And it did pour all night.

T8bXqCu.jpg

The only gas in Chicken

nnB2wk7.jpg

The next morning the road was still wet gravel - consistency of decomposed granite with clay mixed in - the clay patches were slippery, most of the ride was at about 30 mph, and keeping a smooth and steady pace with very smooth inputs. It would be very easy to put the bike on its side. I did slide a few times, but no falls, only a couple of foot dabs. Elevations changes could be fairly steep both up and down.

one of the down hills between Chicken and the Yukon border.

mGaLzMr.jpg

the above was a better than average spot, just around the corner got into some soft clay that was wet and slippery. this picture below is just coming to the pavement section (about 5 miles on the US side of the border) is typical of what most of the gravel looked like.

lkEOChH.jpg

The pavement going down to the river for the ferry crossing to Dawson City. Pavement started about a mile out of town. We had pavement from here south through the Yukon.

3VBy5yx.jpg

If I were to rate the gravel riding on the Top of the World Hwy. I would rate this at a 7 out of 10 for difficulty. If you are not comfortable with gravel riding then you must do it in the dry. We made it tougher because we were 2up pulling a trailer.

We have a total of a about two thousand of miles on gravel of all conditions riding 2up with a trailer over the years. We did not encounter any gravel roads that were detrimental on either the 2011 trip or the 2016 trips to Alaska. The most difficult gravel road we have done to date is the Burr trail in Utah - look it up -

these are going down the waterfold (yes it is that steep - unpassable if wet)

dIvytrL.jpg

behind us is Panman

4t6c7Kz.jpg

once out on the flats, the road got very soft and silty about 2-4" deep in places which caused the front tire to plow. here is entering a wash and going out. You get one chance to make it, it is slippery and soft and steep in and out.

91oe13L.jpg

6DVauG5.jpg

I expect our next trip which will go up the haul road to Prudoe Bay, we will encounter the worst gravel roads we have ever ridden on. I don't know what the road to Invuk is like maybe some others can post pictures of those roads.

Living in Fairbanks for 16 years, Spousal Unit and I traveled the Taylor Hwy/Top of The World Hwy many times. I rode it on a SnoGo and in a cage, but the majority of our trips were on bikes. If the weather is dry the roads are generally good for 50+MPH except on the US side where the road runs thru the Forty Mile River Valley; it can be wet there just about anytime. Our wettest ride was in June 2011. The road washed out behind us in the Forty Mile valley and took a guy from Eagle with it. He was found a few weeks later still in his car.

Like Auburn and company, we camped in Chicken and made use of the picnic canopy. Makes all the difference in the world to have a dry area to pack-up.

SAM_0377.jpg

We had the advantage of being on relatively light weight DS bikes with decent tires. I doubt I could have made it on my FJR.

These were taken at the border crossing:

SAM_0385.jpg

SAM_0386.jpg

SAM_0384.jpg

We were feeling pretty full of ourselves when we got to Dawson, that is until the three Goldwings rolled into town 15 minutes behind us. Of course, they had started out from Chicken with four Goldwings in their group, but one went down and was towed back to Tok.

Generally the Taylor/TOW is not a very challenging ride, but if it is wet it can become very difficult.

That is very interesting and looks to be more of a challenge than I'd care for unless on a adventure bike.

Latest posts