Yamaha OEM Slider Rip-Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegscraper

Mr. Photog
Reaction score
I bought the new 2017 Yamaha FJR ES and being the good and thoughtful owner I installed the FJR1300 Frame Sliders 1MC-F11D0-V0-00 ($440.00). I was a little doubtful after installing them because after taking all the plastic cowling off to get access to the attachment location and then reinstalling everything again, I placed the doubtful PLASTIC slider covers over the metal slider brackets.

6 months later, when washing the FJR, I needed to move it so the wife could back the car out the driveway so I needed to move the FJR to another spot. Where upon I started to place it on the center stand. My tennis shoes were wet and a little soapy, so my foot slipped off the center stand foot nub and in slow motion the FJR rolled onto its side, shattering the PLASTIC slider cover but protecting the side of the FJR from scratches, except for the mirror.

The advice I can give here, is do not buy the Yamaha OEM Frame Sliders because you would need to buy the whole slider unit every time you have a tip over. The slider plastic cover will shatter every time.

One would think Yamaha would offer the plastic slider cover as a replacement part.

At least it did protect the side of the bike.

The advice I can give here, is do not buy the Yamaha OEM Frame Sliders because you would need to buy the whole slider unit every time you have a tip over. The slider plastic cover will shatter every time.
Mr. Photog,

Sorry to hear about the tip over.

You might want to look into the T-Rex sliders. They have sliders that are replaceable if damaged. That way you don't have to replace the mount.

Plus they are alot cheaper than the Yamaha OEM sliders.

Here is a pic of them installed onto my 2017.

T-Rex or Canyon Cages are the way to go. I use T-Rex because they are cheaper and look a lot better. Knock on wood, I have not yet tested their effectiveness. Side note, get FZ1 mirrors on your Gen lll bike to give better rear vision and generally prevent sub-frame breaking if the bike takes a nap!!!!

I have tested t-Rex rears and r&g fronts (look the same as the fronts pictured above). Worked great. Having a problem with t-Rex though. Lost a guard (the replaceable part that actually touches the ground) on the rears. They don’t have any in stock, and don’t know how they made them. I’m having to remove my remaining guard and send it to them, because they don’t have the specs on that part for my two year old guards.

I bought the new 2017 Yamaha FJR ES and being the good and thoughtful owner I installed the FJR1300 Frame Sliders 1MC-F11D0-V0-00 ($440.00). I was a little doubtful after installing them because after taking all the plastic cowling off to get access to the attachment location and then reinstalling everything again, I placed the doubtful PLASTIC slider covers over the metal slider brackets.
6 months later, when washing the FJR, I needed to move it so the wife could back the car out the driveway so I needed to move the FJR to another spot. Where upon I started to place it on the center stand. My tennis shoes were wet and a little soapy, so my foot slipped off the center stand foot nub and in slow motion the FJR rolled onto its side, shattering the PLASTIC slider cover but protecting the side of the FJR from scratches, except for the mirror.

So they did not protect the bike, really. It is not uncommon for a tip over to result in breaking the stay that runs across the cowling from mirror to mirror. Sounds like you avoided breaking the stay and the stay is not an expense part, but replacing it is if done by a dealer. Canyon Cages with sliders attached to the cages offer a much better chance of avoiding such damage. I have had one tip over and it was on a steeply cambered road, so the bike went beyond 90 degrees. No damage other than some scratches on the underside of the slider and the rear canyon cage. My sliders came from a person who no longer is on the forums, but Garauld makes them for $65.

IMG_1385.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

So they did not protect the bike, really. It is not uncommon for a tip over to result in breaking the stay that runs across the cowling from mirror to mirror. Sounds like you avoided breaking the stay and the stay is not an expense part, but replacing it is if done by a dealer. Canyon Cages with sliders attached to the cages offer a much better chance of avoiding such damage. I have had one tip over and it was on a steeply cambered road, so the bike went beyond 90 degrees. No damage other than some scratches on the underside of the slider and the rear canyon cage. My sliders came from a person who no longer is on the forums, but Garauld makes them for $65.

IMG_1385.jpg

Is that the OEM shifter foot pad? My 2014 does not look like that.

I have tested the T-rex cages on a cambered road at a stop sign. All I can say is thank goodness I installed them the previous weekend. No damage at all to the bike. Money well spent.

They saved my ass and $$$,

Dave

Yep I have the OEM sliders and it was obvious when I installed them that the plastic cover was only decorative and not intended to function like a real Delrin slider. The bottom line is both types of protection are sacrificial and likely need to be replaced after a tip over.

Steve in Phx: I really like your air wings. Is that a custom fit? I don't remember them being available as a bolt-on item for the FJR.

When I bought them the Baker website did not show them on a GEN 3. I bought them with the understanding that I could return them if they did not fit. They fit well and do a great job of directing air in on my legs in warm weather and diverting it in the winter.

Yep I have the OEM sliders and it was obvious when I installed them that the plastic cover was only decorative and not intended to function like a real Delrin slider. The bottom line is both types of protection are sacrificial and likely need to be replaced after a tip over.
That was my very thought after I installed them but after the plastic shatters I don't see the logic in buying another set for $440, just to replace the shattered plastic. That would be like replacing a perfectly good FJR after blowing out your tire after a 5 minute standing burn-out.

I'm opting to keep the functional metal guard minus the plastic cover.

So true Pegscraper. Yamaha should sell replacement covers for the OEM sliders since a parking lot tip over is inevitable although I think I've dropped nearly every bike I've ever owned with the exception of my four FJRs.

That part numbers shows up as a FZ1 slider on Amazon for $105 ? Same slider ?

looks way different on e bay ?

That part numbers shows up as a FZ1 slider on Amazon for $105 ? Same slider ?looks way different on e bay ?
That part number 1MC-F11D0-V0-00 shows up as a "Yamaha Street Motorcycle FJR1300 Frame Sliders" on Amazon for $319.98.

Much better than what Yamaha sells for but too high for just the plastic replacement.

Big sucky!!