Phantom Blue Matte Paint encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
So I am finding myself once again in uncharted FJR waters, trying to ascertain how this Phantom Blue Matter finish is going to handle the load.

Is this paint going to be durable? Or will it be sensitive to normal, everyday use?

How well will it withstand Endurance Riding mode?

For that matter, how well will it tolerate the normal "hold your breath" new ownership moments, as you get rid of all the nanny-state decals/reflectors?
weirdsmiley.gif

Thankfully, the answer to the latter is: it tolerated it well.
punk.gif

The fuel tank decal is a nasty orange/white one residing above the fuel tank filler cap. It is in two parts: the decal itself, and a clear-coat cover over the decal.

Classic gentle application of your Heat Gun and thumbnail gets both of them off without a lot of drama.

I did use a touch of WD40 on some very little amount glue goo left behind, followed immediately with a rinse of 50% alcohol, 50% water.

Final result:

TankBagDecalOff.jpg

Hard Bag reflectors took much longer, because I was going sloooooooow with the Heat Gun (not knowing how the Matte is going to do, recall). Found out I unfortunately used too light of a nylon fishing line to work the adhesive off... it kept breaking on me - very irritating.

Finally got the left Hard Bag free of it's goofy-ass reflector, here it is next to the right for comparison:

2Bags.jpg

The right bag did not want to come off as well as the left bag.

It was a bit of a struggle, but the Heat Gun and muscle-fucking it won the day, it finally came off with a satisfying "pop", just like the prior bag.

Again, a bath with 50%/50% water alcohol, dry it with a microfiber towel, and there is not even a hint of an outline of where the nanny-reflector used to reside. These are how FJR1300 hard bags are supposed to look:

reflectorlessHardBag.jpg

VERDICT SO FAR:
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't like the shiny black with the matte blue.
When I first looked at the tail section, I thought there was a layer of fine dust on it. Nope.... it has a rather heavy-duty layer of metallic in the gloss black tail section.

And I couldn't tell until I saw it in daylight.... it is subtle gold metallic.

I guess with a top-case, you'll hardly notice the black anyway..

Anyone here in the vinyl business? Time to start looking for a match for the blue..

Matte color photographs well.

No reflections and reduced glare.

OMG! With the sticker gone, how will you ever remember that gasoline is flammable?!?!

Color looks nice in the photos, and I'll bet she's gorgeous in the sunlight.

OMG! With the sticker gone, how will you ever remember that gasoline is flammable?!?!
Good point... I guess I am a Thrillseeker!
punk.gif

Color looks nice in the photos, and I'll bet she's gorgeous in the sunlight.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

It is *vastly* different from clear-coat gloss paint... I always have the high-gloss metallic black tail section, if I feel the need to wax some clear-coat paint. (Latter doesn't happen very often). ;)

me likey...very sharp...I have a matte black helmet and find that Turtle Ice synthetic wax works good..

Now when your fuel cap is open people will quite logically think it is an ash tray, and then KABOOM.... You've been warned.

Doesn't that warning sticker also remind you to wear a helmet. Now you're gonna forget and bump your ugly head. Don't say you weren't warned!!

Damn, fellas.... perhaps I should put that sticker back on, I wasn't aware of its critical importance!

Yeah,put it back on Dale,it probably also wards off forest rats like the one you hit on that 04 you used to have LOL.

Or was it the 03?

Well.... no.
rolleyes.gif