Gen III clearance under LHS panel behind glove box?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2017-12-06 Console Switch Package

I found this nifty switch package / voltmeter / USB charger on Amazon. I'd like to mount it on the left front fairing panel (2013 FJR Yamaha).

Waterproof, and the voltmeter is withing 0.1 VDC compared to my Fluke.

Depth is about 3 inches.

Here's the panel I'd like to mount it in.

What I don't know is how much clearance there is under this panel, below the glove box? Any help?

Hmmm? I installed a Clearwater Darla rheostat dimmer on the back part of the left hand glove box panel and thought that was a tight fit but I'm not very creative. I'm sort of confused though because you say you want to mount it "under this Panel, below the glove box", and then you show a picture of the right hand panel that covers the battery.
unsure.png

For our gen- as Abercrombie notes- Clearwater Lights installation instructions has the rheostat placed there, so there must be some room, but the rheostat pot is small. I'll be watching someone go in there next week to install my photon blasters. I'll have to take a look-see.

Last edited by a moderator:
For our gen- as Abercrombie notes- Clearwater Lights installation instructions has the rheostat placed there, so there must be some room, but the rheostat pot is small. I'll be watching someone go in there next week to install my photon blasters. I'll have to take a look-see.
I hope he has small hands, its a bitch,

Dave

Hmmm? I installed a Clearwater Darla rheostat dimmer on the back part of the left hand glove box panel and thought that was a tight fit but I'm not very creative. I'm sort of confused though because you say you want to mount it "under this Panel, below the glove box", and then you show a picture of the right hand panel that covers the battery.
unsure.png
Oh crap. Wrong pix? My bad.

unsure.png
Oh crap. Wrong pix? My bad.
That's alright Don. But you did make me go out into my freezing cold garage last night to double check if I was crazy or not. Turns out I'm crazy as shit living in this god forsaken Northern country that has me parking motorcycles for months.
smile.png
I'm not sure if there is much difference under the left panel from your 13 A to my 14 ES but it was very tight under there with very few optional locations to install the small Clearwater rheostat.

Don, an easy way to determine exactly how much room you have under that panel is to remove it, ball up a big piece of aluminum foil, place it under the panel and reinstall the panel, remove the panel and look at the now crushed foil, it will let you see exactly how much space is in there.

There will not be room for that under the LH panel. I could barely fit a Gerbing controller knob and Powerlet socket to plug in my heated liner there.

Having been into that panel this week, there was room for both the on/off switch and the dimmer for my clearwaters. But there is a capacitor/resistor/wtf kind of in the middle of that panel. So it was easy to fit the switch on one side and the dimmer on the other of the offending item, but I couldn't have put a larger device in.

Yeah, that's what I had to do for my Gerbings controller knob and socket. There is minimal space between that finned electronic gizmo and the edge of the panel to put anything.

The "finned electronic gizmo" is the rectifier/regulator, centre of the image below (moved from by the rear wheel on the Gen 2).

(Click on image for larger view)