2017-12-06 Cut Front Panel in Half?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score

Jewlery for Naomi

A 2013 FJR has a solid, full-width front panel. I'm thinking of cutting it vertically 2/3 to the RHS in order to more easily facilitate removal of the panel covering the battery.

What do you think? Feasible? Or Stupid?

Thanks in Advance, dcarver

Dunno Don...the panel pops out so easy that I'd leave it as-is.
My $.02 anyway...

--G
It's been over a year since I pulled plastic but think I recall thinking how much more difficult as compared to the gen2.

You may have to ride south to help me put this gee whiz tab n snap new stuff back together!

Dunno Don...the panel pops out so easy that I'd leave it as-is.

My $.02 anyway...

--G
It's been over a year since I pulled plastic but think I recall thinking how much more difficult as compared to the gen2.

You may have to ride south to help me put this gee whiz tab n snap new stuff back together!
Once you get the hang of it, the center piece is a 'snap' to get apart!
weirdsmiley.gif
rolleyes.gif

Love to make a trip south Don...I've got 63 hours of PTO to use before year end. Unfortunately I'm putting together a couple projects with early next year installs so the push is on.

--G

I dunno Don if it would be a mistake or not, but I agree with you. This snap together Gen III plastic is a royal PIA.

It may be a cleaner look without all the screws that my previous Gen I had, but at least a bonehead like myself could easily disassemble and re-assemble.

My motto since my teenage years has always been the more screws, the better.
rolleyes.gif

It's a pain in the ass stock. Not something I want to fool with in the dark. With any modification, I start with figuring out the price to replace it if I end up backing out.

After my second or third time, I find the Gen 3 (I've had two '14s) plastic as easy to remove as the Gen 1. The panels themselves are slightly easier as you gain personal comfort grabbing and popping them out, and three get you access to all of the area where you still didn't get one of the four panels on a Gen I...so easier. The set screws for the headlight adjusters are slightly more annoying on a Gen 3. So, I think it's a wash. I wouldn't cut anything myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The panel that surrounds the glove box, suck ass big time. I still couldn't completely get it snapped back all the way. If someone has some secret please let me know. I am waiting for McTrophy to do a video for me as soon as he gets his 2018. Never had an issue with my Gen2

Lego bikes suck, JMO

Dave

After my second or third time, I find the Gen 3 (I've had two '14s) plastic as easy to remove as the Gen 1. The panels themselves are slightly easier as you gain personal comfort grabbing and popping them out, and three get you access to all of the area where you still didn't get one of the four panels on a Gen I...so easier. The set screws for the headlight adjusters are slightly more annoying on a Gen 3. So, I think it's a wash. I wouldn't cut anything myself.
Iggy, stick to the topic. Don didn't ask what you would do, but whether what he was planning was "stupid". Good answer otherwise.
punk.gif

Hi. I got a new panel part number 1MC-2836N-01-00 for $98 from Babbit's. It's the modification that lets you access the battery without removing any other panels. You will need to transfer the small metal clip that threads the screw from your old panel to the new one.

Iggy, stick to the topic. Don didn't ask what you would do, but whether what he was planning was "stupid". Good answer otherwise.
punk.gif
I believe Don's question wasn't quite that narrow and said, "What do you think? Feasible? Or Stupid?". And I answered appropriately. Thanks otherwise counselor.
punk.gif

Do the mod to the panel over the battery. It easy, doesn't take long and is completely hidden when reassembled. I'm sure a quick search will come up the pictures and directions. I did it years ago and now accessing the battery is as simple as other years. Also, it's free!!!!!

punk.gif
I believe Don's question wasn't quite that narrow and said, "What do you think? Feasible? Or Stupid?". And I answered appropriately. Thanks otherwise counselor.
punk.gif
Me thinks Iggie is on his game again!

Hi. I got a new panel part number 1MC-2836N-01-00 for $98 from Babbit's. It's the modification that lets you access the battery without removing any other panels. You will need to transfer the small metal clip that threads the screw from your old panel to the new one.
Very helpful! I was not aware that this piece existed.

Do the mod to the panel over the battery. It easy, doesn't take long and is completely hidden when reassembled. I'm sure a quick search will come up the pictures and directions. I did it years ago and now accessing the battery is as simple as other years. Also, it's free!!!!!
Good Stuff! I googled around and found a post over at fjrowners.com but all the pix were photo bucket Phucked. So I cheated. THANK YOU for this POST!
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

The panel that surrounds the glove box, suck ass big time. I still couldn't completely get it snapped back all the way. If someone has some secret please let me know. I am waiting for McTrophy to do a video for me as soon as he gets his 2018. Never had an issue with my Gen2
Lego bikes suck, JMO

Dave
Only suggestions I have are to ensure the plate nut at the front is in the right place, but probably the biggest thing is where the panel goes round the glovebox, that it is fitted above and below correctly. I do seem to remember this did take some fiddling on my '14. The pic below does not show it correctly fitted.
(Click on image for larger view)

To answer decarver's original question, I think you'll get used to taking that front panel off after you've done it a couple of times. Cutting it is something I'd personally never even consider.

I concur with those who recommend not cutting the panel. Cutting it will give a water entry point and it will probably not fit up well after being cut. Man up and get used to having to fuck with the panel r&r!!

Latest posts