2017-12-07 Fuel Pump Removal & Gas Cap Hysterectomy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2017-12-07 Fuel Pump Removal & Gas Cap Hysterectomy on a 2013 Yamaha FJR

Fred W from FjrForum.com had an excellent post modifying the gas cap thus allowing key removal when cap is open. Seems like a good idea, so here we go. Later, I'll be pulling the fuel pump in order to fit the aux tank bung fitting.

The spacers are for the tank bag ring.

One last fastenar.

Slightly longer than the rest..

Looking in.

Carefully remove latch screws. There's a spring underneath so keep it under control.

Fred W has better pix of where the spring and do-thingie goes but this might do too.

Visual inspection just because.

All looks good. Don't lose the ball bearing.

Parts storage in case later want it back 'stock'.

Time to start fuel pump removal. Even though the flange and tank are marked, indexed, I like to go over the top. I posted earlier when I did this job on a 2006 FJR.

Really hard to mess the indexing up...

To remove the fuel line, lift the locking black plastic cover then squeeze the gray tabs together.

Ring off.

Now for the tricky part. The pump will not clear the flange. Sure, old nimble fingers Brodie did it once, but I've never been able to. Rather, simply disconnect the fuel level assembly by gently prying the locking tang then genltly push down on the assembly. It will move about 1/8" then disconnect from the pump.

Follow the green toothpick..

Two options.. Wiggle it until clearance exists for pump and level assembly or disconnect the level assembly connector.

It will fit while still connected. Be gentle. Don't screw up the sending mechanism.

And there you go, TaDa!

Thats it. I will add reassembly notes when I get there.

Thanks to Fred W for his original post, very helpful!

101stpathfinder posted: Hmmm… This Aux. tank fitting to be installed? Seems like a very "UN-Candy Butt Association" thing to do Don.I suspect "CBA" is really "IBA" under cover. Ride on brother! I won't let your secret out.
Yeah. Look at his visited states map (which apparently was created before Hawaii became a state). Not many blank ones there.

Nice disassembly, dcarver, and excellent documentation skillz.

Last edited by a moderator:
101stpathfinder posted: Hmmm… This Aux. tank fitting to be installed? Seems like a very "UN-Candy Butt Association" thing to do Don.

I suspect "CBA" is really "IBA" under cover. Ride on brother! I won't let your secret out.
Yeah. Look at his visited states map (which apparently was created before Hawaii became a state). Not many blank ones there.

Nice disassembly, dcarver, and excellent documentation skillz.
And I can tell you for a fact that DC has NOT updated that map in a number of years!! He showed up at a NERDs event a few years ago (in Vermont) and I'm sure he hit a few others in the Northeast while he was at it.

"hyster"-ectomy, carver? Seriously?

I wouldn't let you near MY hyster

JSNS

fuck.gif