2017-12-10 Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pozo, FAA Radar Station

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2017-12-10 Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pozo, FAA Radar Station

Short on words RR tonight. Got stuff to do. Surgeon appt tomorrow, ~8 weeks after full knee replacement.

First stop, post office box. 10k check to Scotties Work Shop for BMW engine rebuild. GASP!
Yes, when a right knee is fragile, parking parallel to the curb is a great idea for easy dismount and mount....

First stop, Morro Bay. Smoke from Santa Barbara but more from Ventura fires...

The original plan was to ride to Jalama Beach. But... the farther west and south, the worse the smoke so screw that plan.

The further West, closer to Morro Bay, the worse the air quality..

Morro Rock. The smoke does make good pictures..

Turri Road, shy of Los Osos and headed to San Luis Obispo (SLO).

Jumping forward. SLO to Pozo, CA then up the hill to the radar station. From ocean to highest local point. Why not?

The smoke line in the valley is one mountain range away from Morro Bay.. perspective for non-local peeps.

The FAA radar station. In the mid 1980's my bud Charlie Dorsey and I took my F250 up here after a bunch o' beers. The guy actually let us behind the locked gate and gave us a tour of the radar station. It was chock full of big 1950's and 60's era radar screens. Driving those screeens were a huge number of vacuum tubes! Since I know tube theory, I started talking to the resident technican. He expalined one of the big issues at that time was voltage flucations, causing aircraft elevation data loss. The fluctations were from both the huge Air Conditoner tonnage to keep the equipment cool and... wait for it.. the rock and quarry operation about 15 miles away!

I have no sense of direction. I can see the radar dome from the Hondarosa. Just don't ask me where the Hondarosa is from here...

It's a 7 mile goat road from Turkey Flats to the top. Your FJR can make it. It just won't be a nice ride. The pavement has pretty serious 'water shed depressions' which bottomed the Vstrom when the pilot was gawking at scenery.

That's right. No guard rails. No stripe. On a bike, stay right.

This is an OHV area. Many dirt trails lead to this road. But you have to have a plate to be legal...

Off the hill, heading home. The knee is talking to me. Pozo saloon. Since late 1800's. Now closed. Not sure why. I know Rhonda Beanway, who along with hubby run it. I read Rhonda wasn't doing well, health wise. I hope either she improves or sells it to someone wanting to keep the heritage alive.

Approximately 40% of roads today were too narrow for legal roads hence no center stripe or were dirt.

Deceiving road. It looks packed, but is not. In some spots, 3" deep.

My Zumo 550 was recently repaired and it's very nice not to use the Sena20S, iPhone6 for Sirius tunes. Most of the area I rode today? No signal.

This dirt road is called 'River' Road. Along this road is the Toro Creek ranch which held a motocross... and I broke my femur..

Sorry, out of order but so what. A pano shot from back on top of the hill at the radar station.

I see what happened.. these were iPhone pix, not Canon G7X so the order is incorrect. Oh well.

Perhaps my favorite pic of the entire day. Hope, opportunity, even healing?

Today's route.

Well, that's it. I gotta go. See Ya. Thanks for riding along.

Not yet. Tim's tree is just now turning colors and dropping leaves.

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

Thank you Don. Freezing fog here in Seattle so I leave the bike parked. It is good to see ride reports till spring. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

DCarver, is the Pozo Saloon where famous rock bands will show up for gigs now and then??

I've heard about that place.....

What MX bike were you on when you broke the femur?? I've got a bum left shoulder compliments of me and my IT490 doing an endo off a jump ( yes I know, an IT490 has no business going off a jump that kids on CR125s were flying off).

Brian the biknflyfisher

DCarver, is the Pozo Saloon where famous rock bands will show up for gigs now and then?? I've heard about that place..... What MX bike were you on when you broke the femur?? I've got a bum left shoulder compliments of me and my IT490 doing an endo off a jump ( yes I know, an IT490 has no business going off a jump that kids on CR125s were flying off). Brian the biknflyfisher
Yes. Pozo has sponsored many a famous country/rock/rap group. Broken femur was on a yz426, circa 2000. ...and you were jumping an IT490? Tsk Tsk.. :whistle:

This sucks!!! Don is out riding around in the sun while getting ready to bring me two more bikes and three engines to keep me in motorcycle hell for the winter and into spring. Jealous YES!!!!!
sadsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This sucks!!! Don is out riding around in the sun while getting ready to bring me two more bikes and three engines to keep me in motorcycle hell for the winter and into spring. Jealous YES!!!!!
sadsmiley.gif
Well knowing that your working this winter means we will see you this summer correct? You should be smiling, emptying Don's retirement bucket and filling yours!
rolleyes.gif

That looks like a nice ride after 8 weeks. I am scheduled to have the right knee replaced March 21, 2018 at VA here in Seattle. Had the left knee replaced there in May and it is perfect. Do you have any problem working the rear brake ?

Very cool. I need to check out some of those roads. Glad you included the map. Somehow, I've not made it to Pozo, hope they open up as has been on my "list" for a while. Thx for sharing......

sadsmiley.gif
Well knowing that your working this winter means we will see you this summer correct? You should be smiling, emptying Don's retirement bucket and filling yours!
rolleyes.gif
My bucket has always been small with a large hole in it. Don caught me a a weak moment and I agreed to work on the KZ1300 again. Call me a dumb ass.
uhoh.gif

sadsmiley.gif
rolleyes.gif
My bucket has always been small with a large hole in it. Don caught me a a weak moment and I agreed to work on the KZ1300 again. Call me a dumb ass.
uhoh.gif
You want us to call you a dumb ass. I can't go there.
biggrin.png

Clearly it is winter time on the forum. The drivel such as mine stoops to unprecedented depths every winter around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. I need to check out some of those roads. Glad you included the map. Somehow, I've not made it to Pozo, hope they open up as has been on my "list" for a while. Thx for sharing......

That looks like a nice ride after 8 weeks. I am scheduled to have the right knee replaced March 21, 2018 at VA here in Seattle. Had the left knee replaced there in May and it is perfect. Do you have any problem working the rear brake ?

sadsmiley.gif
rolleyes.gif

sadsmiley.gif
True, but we ARE burning down to the ground right now...
rolleyes.gif

Yup!
uhoh.gif
I know! :rofl: I started it up last night.. it completely filled the shop with burned oil smoke and wet the floor with a big poodle of coolant...

sadsmiley.gif
rolleyes.gif

sadsmiley.gif
True, but we ARE burning down to the ground right now...
rolleyes.gif

Yup!
uhoh.gif
I know!
rofl.gif
I started it up last night.. it completely filled the shop with burned oil smoke and wet the floor with a big poodle of coolant...
On the bright side, the oil smoke wasn't coming out of the stacks.. probably the tachometer gear seal leaking onto the headers. And at least now we know for sure the water pump seal isn't!

Latest posts