Thoughts on this FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSTX

Reaction score
I spoke to a salesman about this: https://www.dreammachinesoftexas.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=4550827&p=1&make=yamaha&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory bike last week. It was traded in and does not come with bags. I like the low miles and the price seems good if not a steal. I have found two 2014 FJR's on craigslist with 10k - 15k miles for similar money.

Is this something to check out? It is about three hours from me so not a terrible ride but not convenient. Are the bags expensive to add?

Is this something to check out? It is about three hours from me so not a terrible ride but not convenient. Are the bags expensive to add?
Meh. OK deal for a non ES bike I guess....if it came with sidebags. I personally think the ES is the way to go 2014 and later and I picked up one with 15K miles well over a year ago with bags and tons of extras for just less than $10K.

Check yourself for new bag cost. Over $1K I bet...and you'd also need to consider internal liners as the replacements don't include. That a bike with 3000 miles doesn't include bags is a red flag to me.

I haven't seen any pairs of '14 bags for sale used before either....or not any that didn't need to be refinished. Another option used is to take any other year, send them off to Garauld, and have them fixed and repainted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pick one that has the bags...and the liners. 10,000 miles just means the bike is broken in and ready to fly ;)

Really if you're interested in an FJR, buying one without bags seems silly.

I would be very suspicious of a bike with only 3K miles and no bags. I would get the vin number and check it for possible accident and plastics replaced. Check with a Yamaha dealer to see what warranty or other work was done on the bike. Previous members said it well, wait a little and you will find some great deals on a well equipped ES model.

RSTX: check the HOU C-List. A guy down the road from me has had his '14 ES model for sale for several months now. It appears that he is riding it regularly as the miles keep going up a bit in his ad but I bet you could get a pretty good deal on it by now! Let me know if I can help check it out, etc. for you.

@russperry I like that one but CA is a long way from TX. I am not in a hurry. Will keep looking local.

@moto2wheelin I have looked at that bike several times. It is nice. Thanks for the offer to look. I'm still learning and looking right now.

Keep looking. A FJR for sale without bags is a bad omen. I have a suggestion. FJRs are very reliable. So a bike with 20k is a good deal so don't focus on low mileage so much. I have 86k on my 09 and plan to keep it for a while - hell it runs great. Best wishes.

RSTX posted: ..... but CA is a long way from TX.
Oh no!! You didn't actually say that, did you??? Have you seen this section of our Forum?
Heh, yeah, I'm not a long distance rider. Of course that could be because I have a FZ.
unsure.png

I think you ought to take a look at this one.... If you're into blue, LED lighting, ES suspension, and 6 speed tranny for $11k.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Yamaha-FJR1300ES-5000761811
From a ver bias rider, I would avoid a bike from any area where they get snow or ice and use salt on the roads. That can do bad things to areas not easy to wash. A southern California bike would make for a great fly an ride back to Texas. Riding a southern route would be a great experience. Just a thought.

If you have the $$'s I would go for the later model year with the 6 speed trans and LED lighting.

Let me know if you do decide to look as it would be no issue to check it out for you, really close by. I guess I haven't already checked it out for myself just due to having too many right now! I have my AE listed, not sure why though...ha!

Thanks, Brian.

I took my FZ-07 out for an hour today. More wind protection would be nice in the cooler weather. That being said, it was 59*. Not exactly the Frozen Tundra.

The sales guyvat the dealer regarding your original post sent me an email saying they got a call from the owner and that they forgot the bags when they picked the bike up.... supposed to have them this coming week on the bike. Fyi

Well, I've got an issue now that transcends bags...I've fallen in lust for the matte blue 2018 color. Every picture I see makes me want it more. Sigh...I've got champagne taste on a beer budget.

Funny, I know that feeling! That is how I first saw the '14 in Dallas as well and why I had asked about the bags too... The bike may be worth checking out if the sales guy told the truth regarding the bags being on their way to them... You would save lots of money buying it vs the brand new one and could even step up your beer level with that!
smile.png

Latest posts