Need GPS to replace 2597LMT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 2597LMT that worked perfectly for me until a fall in the car tugged the USB charging plug off the circuit board. An attempt to resolder a new plug failed.

SO.... that leaves me looking for a new GPS. I still have all the accessories and ram mount for the 2597, but since I'm looking at used unit's already, is there a better model that would work better in the sun's glare?

I don't have a problem reading my 595LM in the sun, but it's the third unit, and garmin can't make one work correctly. Display is good, it's the audio hub function that won't work for long, regardless of pairing order. Touchscreen functionality and nav work great. Using phone (voice phone call) functionality through it causes it to freeze most of the time, but if I just keep it dumb and excommunicated from the Bluetooth community, it is a solid and easy to read visual navigation tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are places that will repair your unit.

Short Tronics, INC.

51612 US Highway 169

Mankato, MN 56001-6584

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive looked at the latest zumo 590/595 screen and the zumo 660 screen, and several Garmin auto GPS units in sunlight conditions.

None compare to the zumo 450/550 screen for brightness in daylight.

A Zumo would be nice but it's way beyond my price range and I'd like to remain married.
smile.png

I have a separate off-road GPS for the XR, so no need for the 276C.

I didn't see any other affordable options, so this morning I jumped on a 2598LMT from OfferUp. I can use my same RAM mount with this, so I'm good to go now.

Thanks for the input!

Too late it seems, but I was wondering if the 2597 had a cradle, and if so, could you not just charge thru that?

No, it doesn't have a charging cradle (though I do have a RAM mount for it). It charges through a mini-USB cord. And in my case, unfortunately, the internal USB port was broken from the circuit board and not repairable.

Got it.. the Zumos I have can both be charged by USB, or thru the cradle - hence my wondering...

I could also have googled it.. but was too lazy! :)