Jewelry for Naomi - ? Switch Locations Gen 3 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Man, there sure isn't much territory on a Gen 3 for installing electrical switches. Very few flat surfaces on the upper left cowling, and the rectifier regulator takes up a bunch of space too.

So where did you mount your switches? Got any pix to share?

I'm considering using the glove box top as my switch location....

Gotta go look and ponder some more..

So help a brother out? Post Up Pics?

-TIA dcarver

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 08 I installed a Kisan Signal Minder which has its own 4-way flasher logic circuit. This freed the thumb button on the right switch pod for re-assignment. Since the bikes OEM 4-way flashers only work when the ignition switch is turned on it will drain the battery down fast unless you have the bike idling when in use ... extremely impractical in those situations that 4-ways are called for. With a few individual wire re-assignments in the switch pod pigtail, and a little custom harness work this former emergency flasher switch now triggers a relay that uses the BackUp circuit to power the Signal Minder and all down stream turn signal bulbs, even though the bikes ignition key is in my pocket. With the switch deactivated the turn signal circuit still uses the the Hazard fuse. Amp wise the fuses work out properly, and I am able to use the 4-ways on my bike much longer without completely draining the battery, or risking someone steeling the bike with my back turned.

Just a thought.

Brodie

🙂

On my 08 I installed a Kisangani Signal Minder which has its own 4-way flasher logic circuit. This freed the thumb button on the right switch pod for re-assignment. Since the bikes OEM 4-way flashers only work when the ignition switch is turned on it will drain the battery down fast unless you have the bike idling when in use ... extremely impractical in those situations that 4-ways are called for. With a few individual wire re-assignments in the switch pod pigtail, and a little custom harness work this former emergency flasher switch now triggers a relay that uses the BackUp circuit to power the Signal Minder and all down stream turn signal bulbs, even though the bikes ignition key is in my pocket. With the switch deactivated the turn signal circuit still uses the the Hazard fuse. Amp wise the fuses work out properly, and I am able to use the 4-ways on my bike much longer without completely draining the battery, or risking someone steeling the bike with my back turned.
Just a thought.

Brodie
Dang. Too much for the simple guy! You impress me Brodie. You should be a machinist or something.. :whistle:

You can get a three switch bank that is designed to mount on the brake or clutch reservoir...

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz24665

zz24665_A.jpg

Would something like this do it for you?

Edit: I don't know whether this particular one would fit the FJR - just the first non-chrome one I found. You might prefer a clutch side version.

I don't have a pic, Don (I really must get around to figgering you how to post them post-Photobucket), but Clearwater mounted an off/on switch on the panel aft of the glove box that controls my Krista/Erica setup I have. It's in a more reachable position from the seat than on the box lid would be, and no interference with the wires coming out of the switch when you use the box. The volume knob that controls all 4 lights is on a little bracket on the left side of the bars, first empty spot after all the OEM switches and buttons in that area. They just sort of custom-bent a lightweight bracket to mount it and hold the knob.

You can get a three switch bank that is designed to mount on the brake or clutch reservoir...https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz24665

zz24665_A.jpg

Would something like this do it for you?

Edit: I don't know whether this particular one would fit the FJR - just the first non-chrome one I found. You might prefer a clutch side version.
I searched the site.. no FJR equivalent.. but the idea IS good. I wonder if when I retire and get a lathe, mill, welder, talent? Oh shit, never mind! :whistle: Ross, you always come through with ideas, Thank You!

I don't have a pic, Don (I really must get around to figgering you how to post them post-Photobucket), but Clearwater mounted an off/on switch on the panel aft of the glove box that controls my Krista/Erica setup I have. It's in a more reachable position from the seat than on the box lid would be, and no interference with the wires coming out of the switch when you use the box. The volume knob that controls all 4 lights is on a little bracket on the left side of the bars, first empty spot after all the OEM switches and buttons in that area. They just sort of custom-bent a lightweight bracket to mount it and hold the knob.
Mike, please email me pics and I'll host them for the site.. Thank You, mi amigo!

Bike Bandit lists the Show Chrome switch block as a "Universal part". Available in matt black for either side. Perhaps spacing of screws is fairly standard? Might be worth sending an email. If not an exact fit, attachment with heavy duty velcro might work.

The illuminated ClearWater lights on/off switch resides inside my glove box just to the right of the power outlet. I like the illumination, however having it in the box keeps it from being a distraction. I seldom use it to shut down my Kristas, so having it under a closed hatch is a good compromise.

Drilling a 5/8 hole in the glove box wall is a lot easier to do than drilling a 5/8 hole in painted plastic.

Brodie

😅

Don

Here's another option you may want to look into...

pmrweb045018.jpg
PMR BarSwitch

They have 1, 2, and 3 switch models in both black and polished aluminum models.

They are designed to fit in place of the hydraulic brake/clutch reservoir clamp.

pmrweb045015.jpg

You may have to specify switch logic and switch color when ordering.

They make a cool looking thumb switch too.

pmrweb010003.jpg
pmrweb010002.jpg

Worth considering.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Brodie, that is an EXCELLENT solution! I sent this email off to the PMR folks..

Your product looks excellent! I’m in the process of making a long distance rider out of my 2013 FJR.

Some quick questions?
  • The thumb switch - available in non-momentary e.g. off-on, repetitively?
  • The PM-54, any chance it’s available in a 4 gang housing?
  • Are the switches water proof, at least water resistant (think rain riding)
  • Are connections made immediately at switch back or do you provide a harness to run down the bars to the triple tree?
  • If connections are immediately at the housing/switch backside, I’m imaging a bunch of wire that has to make a 90 degree angle to head down the bar.. That seems awkward.

I’m off to measure the spacing on the FJR.. hopefully 32 mm.

Thank you for your time,

That PM-54 looks good. It seems to me that I considered this one a few years ago and there was a problem with fitment - on the other hand, I may be mis-remembering (happens a lot lately!!).

Let us know how it goes.

On my 08 I installed a Kisangani Signal Minder which has its own 4-way flasher logic circuit. This freed the thumb button on the right switch pod for re-assignment. Since the bikes OEM 4-way flashers only work when the ignition switch is turned on it will drain the battery down fast unless you have the bike idling when in use ... extremely impractical in those situations that 4-ways are called for. With a few individual wire re-assignments in the switch pod pigtail, and a little custom harness work this former emergency flasher switch now triggers a relay that uses the BackUp circuit to power the Signal Minder and all down stream turn signal bulbs, even though the bikes ignition key is in my pocket. With the switch deactivated the turn signal circuit still uses the the Hazard fuse. Amp wise the fuses work out properly, and I am able to use the 4-ways on my bike much longer without completely draining the battery, or risking someone steeling the bike with my back turned.
Just a thought.

Brodie
Dang. Too much for the simple guy! You impress me Brodie. You should be a machinist or something..
Brodie is more than "something", he knows more about bike electronics than anyone I have met. Brodie lives right there in the middle of Silicon Valley!!
fool.gif

That PM-54 looks good. It seems to me that I considered this one a few years ago and there was a problem with fitment
You are correct. The PMR switches will NOT work on the FJR. The fastener holes for our handlebar clamps are OFFSET, not in-line like pretty much every other motorcycle on the planet.

In the meantime, Don, there is a massive amount of spare room under the GenIII/IV left dash piece and adjacent bodywork... that's where I placed the female connector for the Heat Troller. Since the female connector extends downward a bit, I moved the hole for it out into the body. But you could likely put a switch in the dash portion, and not cut into the bodywork like I did:

drilled.jpg

outlet.jpg

Im curious as to how much offset there is, which years, clutch or brake reservoir clamps. It seems to me that both my 06 and 08 Advanced Edition bikes brake reservoir clamps are not offset. I have no knowledge with the clutch reservoir clamps.

If so, PMR is the manufacturer, and may be open to making a special run of FJR spec units provided enough demand. Thats how I got APE interested in producing the manual cam chain tensioner. Its not that big a deal for a programmer to move a hole offset on a copy of their model and spit out G-code for their milling machines. Check out their About Us page.

Worth a thought.

Brodie

🤔

I sent email to PMR 3 days ago.. No reply yet. No phone number on website either.. I'm drilling holes, baby!

I remember coming across an elegant switch (plus other controls) for an FJR. I saved the photo but not its origin!! Maybe on this forum. If anyone remembers, this would be a very cool addition to control multiple items including heated gear and dimmer for aux lighting etc.

38767800394_47e694097c_z.jpg

One more pretty cool option - Neutrino Black Box. As long as you have lots of money...

Multifunction programmable fuse block with circuits controlled by your phone. Mount the (hopefully waterproof) phone in a RAM X-mount and wirelessly control individual circuits.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167102-arboreal-neutrino-black-box/?hl=neutrino

https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/details

Edit: I was just reading some of the stuff this thing can do. If reliability ratings are good, one of these is going on my next bike!