181 in a 75: 20 Fastest Speeding Tickets in Texas in 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
Below you'll find the speeds, locations, and vehicles involved in the twenty fastest speeding tickets in Texas in 2017. You'll see that almost three-fourths of the speeders were riding sportbikes (which some troopers knew enough about to list specific models), while the rest were rocking the kind of American muscle you always imagine screaming down a dusty Texas highway into the sunset—except for one intrepid soul in a BMW i8.

#20: 139 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: I-20 in Eastland County

Ride: Red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle

#19: 140 mph in a 65 mph zoneRoad: I-10 in Bexar County

Ride: Blue 2008 Honda CBR

#18: 140 mph in a 65 mph zoneRoad: I-10 in Bexar County

Ride: Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle

#17: 140 mph in a 60 mph zoneRoad: SP-601 in El Paso County

Ride: 2015 Aprilia RSV

#16: 140 mph in a 50 mph zoneRoad: Custer Road in Collin County

Ride: 2015 Ford Mustang

#15: 143 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: US-90 in Coryell County

Ride: Black 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle

#14: 143 mph in an 80 mph zoneRoad: TW-130 service road in Williamson County

Ride: Black 2014 BMW i8

#13: 144 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: US-190 in Coryell County

Ride: Blue 2015 Suzuki motorcycle

#12: 144 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: US-190 in Coryell County

Ride: Green 2016 Yamaha motorcycle

#11: 145 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: SH-6 in Falls County

Ride: Red 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

#10: 146 mph in a 65 mph zoneRoad: SH-67 in Johnson County

Ride: White 2017 Chevrolet Corvette

#9: 149 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: SH-70 in Fisher County

Ride: White 2017 Suzuki GSX

#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zoneRoad: I-35 in Hays County

Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF

#7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: US-81 in Wise County

Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800

#6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: I-40 in Carson County

Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)

#5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zoneRoad: SH-195 in Williamson County

Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX

#4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zoneRoad: SH-195 in Williamson County

Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS

#3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zoneRoad: SH-44 in Nueces County

Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle

#2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zoneRoad: I-45 in Galveston County

Ride:

Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zoneAnd the winner/loser is:

Road: US-90 in Coryell County

Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000

​I wonder what the police use to catch those folks at those speeds.

Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone

And the winner/loser is:

Road: US-90 in Coryell County

Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000

Was Barry Newman driving the Challenger?A radio.

Niehart posted: <snip, snip, snip>

Like CAJW said, LEOs use their radios and a bunch of fellow officers to catch someone at that speed. Can't use spike strips on bikers, as far as I know. I've also heard of officers using cameras and video, capturing the license plate during a chase, and visiting the vehicle owner's home later that day.

Total tickets to bikers: 13 Tickets to Yamaha riders: 2. Statistically, we are not thugs. (6 to Suzukis -- are you in there, GixxerJasen?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagining how shitty that must feel to get a performance award at that much over the limit.
blinksmiley.gif
cry.gif

My . . .

BAD

(Edited because I have caused others not to be able to have nice things. Apologies for maliciously assuming that this thread was about speeding and enforcement. Apparently, Texas venue, 2017 incidents only, and top 20 (speeds, citations, fines?) were required elements?)

Gonna be another long winter, I guess.

I got a ticket on Hwy 287 between Amarillo and Wichita Falls on the way home from YFO. I was going 88 in a 75 - he "instant on'd" me, and as soon as the radar detector went off, I looked down on my GPS and it said 88 mph. Then I saw the lights.

Cost me $200.00 for the ticket and I paid another $100.00 to keep it off my record, on the condition I got no more tickets in Texas for 6 months (I didn't).

My....east of Arcata,....
If anybody is curious when it went way off topic of a specifically titled 'Top 20 in Texas' thread.....this why we can't have nice things. I ask everybody to remember sticking to the subject for non-NEPRT threads in 2018. Thx. The Management.
wink.png

My....east of Arcata,....
If anybody is curious when it went way off topic of a specifically titled 'Top 20 in Texas' thread.....this why we can't have nice things. I ask everybody to remember sticking to the subject for non-NEPRT threads in 2018. Thx. The Management.
wink.png
I did it, spoke of speeding in California, that is. I'd have been fine if you had left your post as calling me out, FWIW. But a couple serious questions:

(1) Just curious, but what area did Dave start the thread in? I failed to pay attention to that since I did not imagine I was straying from his topic.

More importantly,

(2) Has Rule 10 been amended to (see underlined and bolded part of rule 10, below) limit the exception only to NEPRT (which is NOT an area in which members can start threads)?

RULE 10. Off topic posts and thread hijacking in any area except Jokes & Fun Stuff, Completely Off Topic, or NEPRT are inappropriate. Admins reserve the right to move or remove them as needed. Posting in the other areas must still adhere to previous guidelines.

I did it, spoke of speeding in California, that is. I'd have been fine if you had left your post as calling me out, FWIW. But a couple serious questions:
(1) Just curious, but what area did Dave start the thread in? I failed to pay attention to that since I did not imagine I was straying from his topic.

More importantly,

(2) Has Rule 10 been amended to (see underlined and bolded part of rule 10, below) limit the exception only to NEPRT (which is NOT an area in which members can start threads)?

RULE 10. Off topic posts and thread hijacking in any area except Jokes & Fun Stuff, Completely Off Topic, or NEPRT are inappropriate. Admins reserve the right to move or remove them as needed. Posting in the other areas must still adhere to previous guidelines.
It was started in Other Bike / Bike-related Discussions. Your transgression of moving from 20 tickets in Texas to your ticket in California was totally off-topic. I moved it there after your post....or I could have warned 'ya personally. I figured I'd highlight a lesser case of topic drift in the new year. And, of course, had it been in one of the two other areas people can create thread--you could have spouted about California, Alaska, Freedonia, or a hangnail.

Thanks for actually reading and quoting and the rules. Seriously. And thanks for keeping an eye out on thread topics in the non-affected areas in the future. / Matt :)

Well, . . . since it's NEPRT now . . .

More importantly,

It was started in Other Bike / Bike-related Discussions. Your transgression of moving from 20 tickets in Texas to your ticket in California was totally off-topic. I moved it there after your post....or I could have warned 'ya personally. I figured I'd highlight a lesser case of topic drift in the new year. And, of course, had it been in one of the two other areas people can create thread--you could have spouted about California, Alaska, Freedonia, or a hangnail.

Thanks for actually reading and quoting and the rules. Seriously. And thanks for keeping an eye out on thread topics in the non-affected areas in the future. / Matt
smile.png
Fuck me, then; it's Niehart's FAULT!!!
not_i.gif
His choice of "Other Bike / Bike Related Discussions" was internally inconsistent with the subject matter of the top 20 report he tried to inform us of. Maybe all of us can be punished!
no2.gif

I mean, c'mon -- where in the Rules or dictionary do Corvettes, a Dodge Challenger or Chevrolets qualify as "Other Bikes"? And don't even get me started on hppants! At $200, he wasn't close to qualifying for that list, even if he got cited in Texas in 2017. Fershitsakes, the thread was probably perceived by most as being about getting busted at bike/car impounding excess speeds. Who knows how to categorize category wobbler threads or whether the one chosen is the one best suited; we all just do our best. It was a good, interesting, winter thread, and of course I was confused.
omg2.gif

Yer welcome - I always read the rules and try to follow them. Sometimes your perspective leaves me baffled, but I do appreciate your fixing my transgression with a NEPRT designation on Dave's thread. It not only immunized pants, but opened the thread for other sinners to join me in posting iniquity.
jester.gif

Hope you have a happy new year.
snitch.gif

(EDIT to add: I wasn't clear in my above comments about the primary culpability of Niehart and hppants in this tale of off-topic transgression. Those comments were intended as a joke and I accept full responsibility for any of you who are not now able to have nice things.
winksmiley02.gif
)

Need more info.
What county was the Challenger SRT8 stopped in?

Could be a cheap buy at a police impound auction.
thumbsup.gif
Galveston County, Karl. The info you may need, though, is whether it was impounded before or after the hurricane and where.

I wanna know about #7 - WTH is this 800cc Kwak that was busted at 155 mph?

On the way home from NAFO in golden I got popped for 112 in a 70 on hwy 50 in Nevada. The cop said he usually didn't stop our kind but it was just about Stugis time and a bunch of pirates got tangled up earlier with bad results so they were slowing everybody down. I ended up with a rural juristiction ticket for 75 in a 70. Lucky me.

101stpathfinder posted: #18 was contested (LOL)
LOL indeed! That was funny, man! (Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle, you say?)

Best I ever got was 105 in a 45. Wayyy back about 1990 or so. 1973 Merc. Montego GT. 351 Cleavland 4 BBL. with so mods. 425 HP or so.

Good for about 145 but couldn't steer very well at that speed.. Don't ask.

$150 fine lost my license 45 days. Now you are screwed.

Where is Coryell County? Google has it around Killeen/Gatesville but U.S. 90 is south of I-10. And CO-90 is a dirt road. Doesn't make any sense