Post Daytona Bike Week Ride Planning 19 March to 30 March

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
After Bike Week I am planning on a ride home, a few stops along the way and a few states I haven't ridden through along the way.

Preliminary Route looks like this:

Post%20Daytona%20Trip-L.jpg

Linky:

https://goo.gl/maps/uP6rRZNqDKu

Always looking for inputs and company along the way.

I have to be home by/before March 29th so SWMBO and I can get back to Ft Lauderdale for another cruise, this time to Rome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to be in Florida the week before and after the Daytona 200 (17th maybe)

Hopefully I could put a few miles on with you.

Canadian FJR

I see your route and I look to one side or the other and see a whole bunch of possibilities. I stopped playing with it when I got to 4,500 miles (starting with your 3,079) and I wasn't done! I think I would do a minor detour to take coastal route south of the Apalachicola National Forest to Panama City (just because I like coastal riding and have never been there). Any number of opportunities through Colorado but probably nothing you haven't done a bunch of times before.

Will weather in the mountains (or central plains) be an issue at that time of year?

[quote name="RossKean" post="1387194" timestamp="15151126"

I think I would do a minor detour to take coastal route south of the Apalachicola National Forest to Panama City (just because I like coastal riding and have never been there). Any number of opportunities through Colorado but probably nothing you haven't done a bunch of times before.Will weather in the mountains (or central plains) be an issue at that time of year?

Festar and I did that route to Panama City in October.

The weather will be of concern everywhere North of Texas. Colorado is ok on the plains but not in the Mountains absent a spring Blizzard! My wife will be on hot standby to come retrieve me if the weather looks to shitty for motorcycling.

WARNING: Riding the Overseas Highway, RT 1, between Homestead and Key West could be problematic this time of the year. It's snow bird season and that's a narrow, sometimes 2 lane highway, all 128 miles. It will be crowded maybe bumper to bumper. If there's an traffic incident it could be a long wait with no detour/alternative route available...... unless ya got a boat!. Schedule a day each way and have reservations in advance if ya plan to stay anywhere on the Keys. Best bet would be to make that trek mid- week, avoid Friday evening thru Sunday if possible.!

On your way east through the everglades I recommend RT 41, The Tamiami Trail, the southern most crossing. It's a nice two laner through the heart of the Everglades, watch for gators, it's not a good road to travel at night! If ya have the time take an Airboat ride into the Everglades for a close up look at Natures best. They's many place on the Tamiami trail for that.

I live on the east cost of Florida in North Port, about 80 miles N. of Naples and 20 miles S. of Sarasota, five miles off RT 75 at exit 182. Give me a shout if ya want see some of my local roads, unfortunately there's nut'n here that compares to the Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon, Moonshine Gulch Saloon, etc....

You'd be welcome to spend a night in the guest room here.

Rt. 98 is the coastal route across the Fl. panhandle from Perry to Pensacola Beach a nice easy ride.. Very little traffic, if any at all. Not much in the way of gas stations either. At times it travels along the waters edge.... nice, worth the time if you've not done it before.

Paul

John

Your route takes you within a block of my house and within a few miles of my weekend cabin. Maybe we can ride at some point. Bad thing is I am still doing the 9-5 still and March is basically no days off month. I would only be available on weekends.

I know you are extensively traveled so I don't know if Florida's best roads will excite you. However, if you are interested I have some tweaks to your route that would take you to some of the best of them. And not really far out of your way. The good sections are generally pretty short.

As for the Keys. That is a must ride. Everything RoadScum said is true. I would still do it. My advice would be to stay somewhere in the Homestead area. Then at day break on a Mon-Thur hit the Keys early. Traffic will be tolerable as will the heat.

PM me. I have two places to stay and a cargo/toyhauler/camper trailer if the need arises.

Also - I don't think you will like US1 from Daytona all the way down. It's not really that scenic and lots of stop and go traffic.

As an option I would pick the sections of A1A you would like to ride. Some of them are very nice. Then take I95 or another route to make up some time if you need to.

Kind of funny, like Ross I want to tweak away at your route cause I am familiar with the roads. It's your ride so I will try to show some restraint.
smile.png

Also - I don't think you will like US1 from Daytona all the way down. It's not really that scenic and lots of stop and go traffic.
As an option I would pick the sections of A1A you would like to ride. Some of them are very nice. Then take I95 or another route to make up some time if you need to.

Kind of funny, like Ross I want to tweak away at your route cause I am familiar with the roads. It's your ride so I will try to show some restraint. :)
I asked for input and am glad to receive it.

I've got a couple folks to see in The Palm Beach area Monday and Tuesday, will probably make a zero dark thirty blast towards The Keys on Wednesday morning. Haven't decided itinerant to stay in Key West on Wednesday night but probably will. After that I don't have any real constraints till I get to HPants in Lafayette LA. Once I leave there I will likely put the Grey Ghost in overdrive and make some tracks

Kind of funny, like Ross I want to tweak away at your route cause I am familiar with the roads. It's your ride so I will try to show some restraint.
smile.png
I asked for input and am glad to receive it.

I've got a couple folks to see in The Palm Beach area Monday and Tuesday, will probably make a zero dark thirty blast towards The Keys on Wednesday morning. Haven't decided itinerant to stay in Key West on Wednesday night but probably will. After that I don't have any real constraints till I get to HPants in Lafayette LA. Once I leave there I will likely put the Grey Ghost in overdrive and make some tracks
When you and Pants get to Eunice, your planned route takes you within 1/4 mile of my house. Let me know and I can ride with you for company, probably even show you some REAL cajun boudin and cracklins!

" When you and Pants get to Eunice, your planned route takes you within 1/4 mile of my house. Let me know and I can ride with you for company, probably even show you some REAL cajun boudin and cracklins! "

I'm sure Pants will chime in here sooner or later, I know not what he has planned, but, boudin and crackling are always on my radar!

John

road scum makes some great points on a Key West trip. I love to leave West Palm around 3 am enroute to KW. That will put you at the 7 mile bridge close to sunrise,

which is worth the ride alone. The southern route across south Florida he mentions is spot on advice. When I rode the Lap of Florida ride, I took that route. I left KW

EARLY and would have hit Miami at the morning rush hour, so I jumped to that route and really enjoyed it. (Much better than the Alli Alley)

Hope to run into you and Scott. I will be at the Jax dinner again this year, but would love to ride south with you. Might want to leave Jensen and head due south to the

Martin Highway (714 I believe) and then head west on that. I will be in Spearfish a few times this year too.

John

What is your work schedule at bike week? You man some type of booth right?

I might take a day ride over one Sat or Sunday.

John
What is your work schedule at bike week? You man some type of booth right?

I might take a day ride over one Sat or Sunday.
We set up March 6th, work 0800-1900 each day until we teardown on Sunday, March 18th.

Our Memphis Shades Truck is parked right in front of J&P Cycle's store at Destination Daytona.

Mornings often finds us at the Waffle House at the Junction of US1 and I-95 around 0730,

Evenings we eat supper and drink a few brewski's at Houligan's right there at Destination Daytona

before walking across the street to the Motel and crashing in order to be able to do it again the next day.

Teardown is usually complete about Sundown on Sunday.

I'll likely go to the Short Track Races at the Speedway one evening.

Fricking Florida Keys are looking way too expensive for my Budget!

Thought i might score a room at NAS Key West but they are all booked up.

Motels etc are outrageous, I'm pretty close to saying Phuck the Keys! :{

Looking very forward to hosting my South Dakota friend in our neck of the woods on this trip. Where we will go and what we will do when he gets here, I cannot say. What I do know is I will invite anyone within 250 miles to join us for the adventure and we will fatten John up like a prized calf. When he leaves for points northwest, he will know about good food. For now, that is all.

Fricking Florida Keys are looking way too expensive for my Budget!
Thought i might score a room at NAS Key West but they are all booked up.

Motels etc are outrageous, I'm pretty close to saying Phuck the Keys! :{
John

If you just want to see the see and ride the Keys staying in the middle Keys is an option. Might be able to find a more affordable place then Key West it's self. If you are not a big night life person there might be better options in places like Marathon and Islamorada.

Of course I haven't priced those lately.

Also you might want to read the most recent reviews on any place you stay. Some Hotels had extensive damage and often they get them back up and running but still have mold and other problems.

I just checked some of the places we use to stay at for ~150 a few years ago. Now they are 250-400 a night. Middle Keys might not even be a bargain anymore.

Other options.

You could stay at my place for free. Key West would be a 450 mile round trip. Doable in a long day.......maybe. One road in and one road out in places.

You could stay in Homestead for <200 a night and do a round trip day ride of 250 miles to Key West.

It will be difficult to find any lodging, let alone reasonably priced lodging, anywhere in the coastal region of south Florida during snow bird season.

NAS is your best bet, hope ya can make that happen.

A 450 mile round trip may not work out so well either with the traffic you'll likely encounter.

There's a Coast Guard base in Marathon(about 1/2 way down the Keys) that may have lodging. Several years ago my brother, retired Air Force, and his family stayed there for a week. Dunno if they still have lodging or if it's available to you.

Paul