Temp fluctuating

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millrat

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've only had the new '18 FJR out a few times but noticed the digital temp will drop from 175 to 147 then come up slowly to maybe 183 then drop to 156. Usually about a 30 degree sudden drop and a slow climb up to repeat. Outside temperature in the 40'. At signal up to high 190's and same 30 degree drop.

Shouldn't it be holding closer to normal temperature about 180 except at stops?

I've only had the new '18 FJR out a few times but noticed the digital temp will drop from 175 to 147 then come up slowly to maybe 183 then drop to 156. Usually about a 30 degree sudden drop and a slow climb up to repeat. Outside temperature in the 40'. At signal up to high 190's and same 30 degree drop.
Shouldn't it be holding closer to normal temperature about 180 except at stops?
My 2014ES seems to run hot in stop and go traffic 200-210F and then comes down to 180's when getting up to highway speed. It does not drop real fast as you seem to indicate.

Simply not an issue, just a characteristic, absolutely nothing to worry about.

Discussed more than once, examples here and here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just change the display, so your not looking at that screen...problem solved. You're welcome
coolsmiley02.gif

My solution? Rearrange your dashboard so the coolant temp is on a page you rarely see. Out of sight, out of mind.

Fan on = cooling down quickly. Fan off = heating up quickly or slowly. (Or in Atlanta this week, with ambient temps below 32F: Fan off = cooling down quickly.)

My solution? Rearrange your dashboard so the coolant temp is on a page you rarely see. Out of sight, out of mind.
Fan on = cooling down quickly. Fan off = heating up quickly or slowly. (Or in Atlanta this week, with ambient temps below 32F: Fan off = cooling down quickly.)
uhoh.gif
Hey Hud...didn't I say the same thing 3 hrs. earlier?
grin.gif

pay attention...
stunned.gif

El Toro Joe posted:
uhoh.gif
Hey Hud...didn't I say the same thing 3 hrs. earlier?
grin.gif

pay attention...
stunned.gif
Can I blame it on a different time zone? No ... ? Well, how about this ....

Got halfway through typing the response, went into a 9:00 am meeting, got out at 10:00, typed the last bit, and hit "Post".

Sorry, buddy. You know I rarely have an original thought .....
rolleyes.gif