East Coasters--Button Up Your Overcoats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
So who's getting the worst of this silly snowstorm back there? Of us here on the forum I mean. Got wondering today, sitting here in my shirtsleeves on this 65 degree day and watching the Weather Channel. I know we have some good candidates. Big Ogre? Fred W? MEM? Some of you NERDS? Who's got the deepest snow from this one? The coldest temperatures?

And when did they start naming snowstorms? "Grayson?" Really? And apparently, it's just the damn Weather Channel that names them anyway. So apparently we're not even really required to call it by that name. What a relief.

Anyway, post up your entries. Prizes for both temperature and snow depth. Winner gets, um, the next storm named after them. By me!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
14" there abouts here in southern N.J. Some local towns reporting up to 17". Current temp here 11 degrees not gonna move much and actually going below 0 here tonight and Sat! Very unuasual for coastal south Jersey. Been below freezing for last 2 weeks.

Shovelled out two driveways yesterday. Seems as though I got the worst of it in my area.

This Sucks!

Dave

We got 6 inches snow (started with freezing rain or it would have been over 10) on Wednesday and then it got cold. Minimal snow removal equipment in S.C. so we are still on very snowy/icey roads, today, Friday. Warm-up is not due till Monday so winter weather will continue for a little while longer. Not complaining, just saying; and all along the east coast the storm continues.

Low last night, this morning: 16*F (that's cold almost anywhere, down right bone-chilling down south)
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealt with approx. 10" of snow yesterday but it was blowing a lot. Some parts of my driveway were almost bare, other spot had drifts about 2 feet. But that wasn't bad to deal with. Its light and fluffy this time.

It's the low temps and wind chill that will be the real challenge the next couple days. It's 13F outside now (noon Friday) and going to be below zero tonight and tomorrow night with strong winds throughout.

here in New England, we love this stuff!
no.gif

I don't know how much snow we had here. Difficult to tell given the high winds and drifting that accompanied it. There was a brief period of freezing rain in the middle and I think something on the order of 20" of snow - could be wrong. Depth in my driveway ranged from almost nothing to over four feet deep. NOT light and fluffy - took 2.5 hours to clear it with a snowblower. The (relatively) mild temperatures that accompanied the storm will be displaced by sub-zero (°F) temperatures for the next few days.

Gawd this sucks!

I'm guessing we got somewhere between 12 to 18 inches but as others have said it's hard to tell with the wind and drifts. There's over two feet on my front lawn but yet my roof is almost clear. Yesterday was sorta white-out conditions in the afternoon but by 9:00 at night the stars were showing themselves. My son and I spent a few hours shoveling right after dinner - gotta play the wind on each toss
smile.png
- trying to clear everything including street parking, as I knew today would be impossible once it froze up. Right now my thermometer is showing 10 but I'd say with the wind-chill it has to be somewhere below zero. <Sigh> And I soo could use a ride.

Btw, I thought the satellite pictures of this "bomb cyclone" looked pretty cool.

bombcyclone2-1418.jpg

So much for "However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said."

So much for "However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become a very rare and exciting event. Children just arent going to know what snow is, he said."
I think he was talking about the temperate climes of the UK, where snow has been becoming less over the years.
Of course, when the Gulf Stream conveyer stops, which is predicted to happen as the arctic ice melts, we will get similar weather to Canada (we are on the same latitude).

It was 65 degrees and you were watching TV. Let us address the real issue here, the elephant sitting the corner....... what the hell were you thinking?

Didn't get much snow in eastern Pa but its cold. BOMB. Just more hype. Everything needs a name now have to name every winter storm BS.

People in the true cold States are laughing. Just a normal winter for them.

Coldest I've seen was in Germany 1985 didn't get above 0F for 2 weeks. -30 at night. That's coldddddddd.

So much for "However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become a very rare and exciting event. Children just arent going to know what snow is, he said."
I think he was talking about the temperate climes of the UK, where snow has been becoming less over the years.
Of course, when the Gulf Stream conveyer stops, which is predicted to happen as the arctic ice melts, we will get similar weather to Canada (we are on the same latitude).
I remember this from back in 2010...

modis_uk_snow.jpg