Block off plate work around

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uenjoymyself

Reaction score
Hello fanatics,

Is there any reason why I cant just remove the PAIR system and then the PAIR system plates from the valve cover, cut some gasket material of like size, lay it on the mating surface over the reed valves and reinstall the ported plates with caps on the ports as well?

Would the gasket material hold up long term?

Do you think the screws are long enough?

Also, working with an '06 California model so I assume that I just plug the hose that goes to the charcoal canister ? (goes nowhere and is plugged on NON Cali bikes)

Anyone with a gen II Cali model that has removed their PAIR care to chime in?

Thank you, Carry on...

Last edited by a moderator:
All you really need to do is cap off the ports. The reed valves will keep exhaust from blowing them off and a rubber vacuum cap will keep air from being sucked into the exhaust stream. While I installed the WynPro plates (during a valve check while the valve cover was already off) on both of my FJRs, I just capped them off on my ‘Strom.

The plates are the way to go, makes everything cleaner and easier to work on when it comes time for Plug changes and Valve checks. Just leaves way more room, at least for my big ass hands.

Why wouldn't you support our local forum member who makes the most beautiful block off plates and have it done with? WynnPro Dave's plates are works of art. Had them on two FJR's. Little cash for an excellent product.

Why wouldn't you support our local forum member who makes the most beautiful block off plates and have it done with? WynnPro Dave's plates are works of art. Had them on two FJR's. Little cash for an excellent product.
I've emailed Dave on Sat with an inquiry but as of yet no reply regarding his plates. perhaps I'll private message him from here.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
PM's replyed to. I haven't been keeping up lately.

I have been working overtime along with rehabing our new Old house (future retiement home). Along with trying to get some Big foots completed. Way behind on that also. Burning the candle on many things lately and will be for a while.

Dave,

PM's replyed to. I haven't been keeping up lately.
I have been working overtime along with rehabing our new Old house (future retiement home). Along with trying to get some Big foots completed. Way behind on that also. Burning the candle on many things lately and will be for a while.

Dave,
Thanks for going the extra mile for me Dave! Payment sent.

Chris

The block off plates are sexy, although hidden under the tank.

Clean the port tubes, take some orange wire nuts and epoxy them in.

I put rubber tape over the top, just because.

Buy some plates when WynPro catches up.

Block off plates? Grey duct tape matches the color of the engine pieces fairly well and its cheap! Replace it every valve adjustment!
Now that seems kinda scary!
omg2.gif

Plates arrived today!

Ordered Wednesday, shipped from the left coast on Thursday, delivered to the right coast on Saturday. These are really nice! Machined from hefty solid blocks of brushed aluminum unlike the cheap cast looking plates as seen on the auction site, for about the same $$. Fit and finish is superb!

Thanks again Dave

All the best, Chris
coolsmiley02.gif