Side Vents

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. In the winter, it provides a half inch more wind coverage. I can feel the difference on the outside of my kneecap if I’m not wearing riding pants. That is all.

Quote: Does this change in position really make any difference?

Do you want your knees in the breeze?...Or not.

Put one "out" and leave the other "in", then see if you can feel a difference.

They probably do deflect airflow a little, but depending on your physique, that may or may not make any difference..

Based on this comment - wondering if anyone has ridden in a kilt?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vnJtdL768]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vnJtdL768[/url]Does this change in position really make any difference?

Canadian FJR
Not that I've ever been able to tell. IMHO, they are a crap feature that someone thought was a selling point. I haven't moved mine in years. I will say that if they're "out" and you drop your bike, they'll stick out beyond where sliders protect and you'll screw up the top edge. Ask me how I know...
Oh, haha...I just watched the video which shows a GenIII. LOL, That's an even bigger piece of crap than the GenII version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now hear this.

These adjustable vents makes a huge difference. After extensive scribbling on bar room napkins, Yamahas engineers designed these deflectors with minimal incremental production cost, and they achieved their design goals by 110%, which most semi-sane people would argue is impossible.

The design goal, by the way, was to pretend they were a valuable feature to influence new prospective buyers. Those that already own one know better.

That is all.

On the GenIII these things do nothing more than cover that section of the side panels. Other than providing some access to some fasteners and a view of some parts, I see no utility value.

By riding with the cover in the open position (back and out farther) does it cause and scratches on the cowling? I have been afraid to move it and find out.

By riding with the cover in the open position (back and out farther) does it cause and scratches on the cowling? I have been afraid to move it and find out.
No, but it makes the bike look ugly. Please don't
no2.gif

In the winter I move them outward. That does seem to keep more air off of my legs. In fact, since I'll routinely ride in the 20's and 30's during the winter, the effect is noticeable. YMMV.

Does it make a difference? No. FJRForum thread for Gen3's here.

Heen asked a question: By riding with the cover in the open position (back and out farther) does it cause any scratches on the cowling? I have been afraid to move it and find out.
I moved them a few times when I first got my 2015. They don't scratch anything; they're snugly fixed in place in either position.

eflyguy has a good suggestion. Open one and close the other. See if you can tell a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it make a difference? No. FJRForum thread for Gen3's here.
Heen asked a question: By riding with the cover in the open position (back and out farther) does it cause any scratches on the cowling? I have been afraid to move it and find out.
I moved them a few times when I first got my 2015. They don't scratch anything; they're snugly fixed in place in either position.

eflyguy has a good suggestion. Open one and close the other. See if you can tell a difference.
I tried a few rides like this recently on my 2018. I couldn't tell a difference.

Dan

Put one "out" and leave the other "in", then see if you can feel a difference.
They probably do deflect airflow a little, but depending on your physique, that may or may not make any difference..

Based on this comment - wondering if anyone has ridden in a kilt?
I have ridden in my kilt....But not with one flap open and one closed.....

I was also curious about those, I did the one in and one out while wearing vented pants. With the side out there was not much wind on my leg, and very little engine heat. The side in had more overall wind, but the engine heat was significant.

I now ride during the summer with them out, and winter (down to 30F) with them in.

Been wondering which position to put them on my '16. The ones on my '06 did have a noticeable (not great) difference, having them out in the winter and in during the summer. I'll have to play a bit with the new bike.