Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wftreg

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2005 FJR 1300 ABS with over 50,000 miles and still have the original battery. I do not even know the make of the battery!

Each winter ( I live in Minnesota) I plug the bike into a battery tender and that is all I do.

Is it common for batteries to last this long?

No. One should expect 5 to 7 years on a OEM FJR battery. I have an 09 with 86k miles and changed my battery out two years ago, not because the battery was dead but I didn't want to push it. Also my Clearwater voltage indicator was behaving strangely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Echoing Fontanaman, you're on borrowed time.

Your aged battery will work right up until it doesn't and unfortunately, that will happen at the worst possible time.

--G

I got 10 years and 175,000 miles out of my OEM '07 battery. I changed it last year "just because". Reserve capacity was down but it still started the bike reliably. Question is, "Do ya feel lucky?".

Are you often in places where a failed battery would be a big problem?

Do you carry a Lithium battery jump starter?

Do you at least carry booster cables?

Irrespective of number of miles or the number of times that the battery was abused (i.e. deep discharge, overcharge etc.), the 13 years age would be of some concern to me. I think I would certainly consider changing it but it might depend upon the answers to the questions I posed, above. Usually, there are warning signs that a battery is on its way out but a shorted cell or an "open" failure can happen very quickly.

Does the bike start easily after a week or more of inactivity (not on a tender)? (if no, it is a sign of high self-discharge rate - replace it)

If you kill the engine using the kill switch and leave the ignition (and headlights) on for five minutes, does it still start with authority? (if no, it is a sign of low reserve capacity)

If the above are OK, at least get the battery load tested by someone who knows what they are doing.

If you have a pass on these three items, you are probably safe for another year (but carry a jump starter, just in case).

Good luck.

Two months ago I replaced the OEM battery on my 07' ABS. Not high mileage but the positive post connections were all cobbled up and failed to start. It was either have the dealer charge it or buy a new one. I elected to buy a new one. Makes it reliable for me, and as I am selling the bike, makes it reliable for the future buyer.

Battery jump starters have gotten ridiculously cheap. I bought this one for $36 at Wally World and it's great- I've used it a few times already. Then I bought one for each of my 2 boys to keep on their bikes.

battery_jump_pack.jpg

Also, batteries are cheap enough if you know where to look. I order AGM or Gel out of California on ebay, $39 shipped. It's here in 3-4 days and it's fully charged, ready to ride. I've been using these batteries for years on several bikes and they work great. I have a new one on my workbench right now, waiting to go in when mine gets weaker. I thought my battery was shot, but it was an always-hot USB port that I added, draining the bike slowly.

I also changed the pigtail hooked to my battery to a heavier gauge (8 is TOO big, trust me) with the blue EC3 connectors on it, so I don't have to remove the battery panel anymore if I need to jump the bike. Then I plugged a short jumper into that to convert it back to an SAE plug for everyday use.

jumper_cable.jpg

my original battery on my '05 lasted a long long time, right up until it wouldn't start it while out on a good ride.

you have definitely gotten all the "goodie" out of that battery so I would replace it.

I gotta get a new one for mine before I ride anywhere this spring.

I'm the 3rd owner of my 2008 with about 14,000 miles (just got it last July). Is there an easy way to tell if the battery in there is the one which shipped with the bike?

If not... I'll probably just get a new one this spring to avoid having "issues" down the road.

<<snip>> Is there an easy way to tell if the battery in there is the one which shipped with the bike?
Date code on battery? OE battery for the FJR has historically been a Yuasa. If the battery is different brand, there's your answer. If not and it's a Yuasa, either one of the previous owners changed it with same brand or it could be the original. Is the battery marked? Whenever I change one, I sharpie the date on the new battery.
Taken care of, these batteries will last a long time...right up until it quits.

Not knowing the history, I'd probably pop for a fresh [known] battery and have one less worry.

--G

I am with you G. I put the date purchased and the warrenty time limits on all my vehicle batteries that I purchase.

I'm the 3rd owner of my 2008 with about 14,000 miles (just got it last July). Is there an easy way to tell if the battery in there is the one which shipped with the bike?
If not... I'll probably just get a new one this spring to avoid having "issues" down the road.
Even if it is a Yuasa, I believe that the OEM Japanese Yuasa batteries have a different designation from the North American ones. Can't remember the details and can't get to my bike to check. In any case, although your bike has (unbelievably) low miles, I would consider changing it out if it proves to be the original - especially since the bike has sat idle for most of its life and you don't know whether the previous owners abused the battery by letting it go flat a bunch of times. These batteries CAN last a very long time but longevity is very much a function of how they are treated.

Get that bike out and put some miles on it!!

Edit: Yuasa in Japan is a different entity from the North American Yuasa and is called GS Yuasa (the batteries say GS). I don't know whether they share manufacturing processes, design and specifications or not. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa#In_the_United_States

Also a very helpful tip I only learned a couple of years ago. Anytime I get a new battery, I put a piece of plastic tube under the terminal nut. This makes it MUCH easier to reconnect, particularly if you have added other connectors to the battery terminal.

battery_terminal.png

I need a new battery for my 08. Considering getting one from Auto Zone and trying it. Or should I spend double a get the Yuasa?

GS Yuasa is a much better unit than the US ones. Some dealerships will sell you a GS, some will sell you a US.
I don't know if our local dealerships even carry the GS Yuasa. Chances are that if you get the Japanese made one, it won't be for a bargain-basement price!