New Years Resolution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
Ride FJR more !!! Problem is, I live in Cleveland ! Not only do we have bad football,but it's really cold here . Got out twice so far ...Are heated grips as good as the sound ???, or are they like some of those cruise control gadgets ,that sound good but really don't work that well ? Is after market they way to go ? or does Yamaha have the " hot set up " ... ha, ha , that was a good one ! what do you guys think ? Go Browns !!! (2007 FJR)

While I don't have the heated grips on my FJR I did have them on another previously owned bike.My .02 is that I prefer heated gloves. I guess if you put on hand guards like some guys do from a V-strom or something the heated grips would be good or if you live in an area that doesn't get the level of cold you are dealing with. My reasoning behind all of this is that the cold air is hitting the back of you hands not your palms. The heated gloves are heating the areas most exposed to the cold. Additionally this allows you to have some heated gear on more than one bike so if you add anther bike to your stable all you need is the power cord for heated gear.

I just got to work and it's 19 degrees outside. Heated jacket liner and gloves and I'm comfortable.

I like the heated grips on the 16, never had them on the 06...I'm also in NEO, and have only ridden a couple of times so far this year. Looks like it's supposed to warm up a little, next week.

Chuck is right. Heated grips are nice on a cool morning when you know the temps will soon be warmer, but when it’s downright cold all day, the heated gloves is what keeps you riding. Having both on when it’s below freezing is kind’a nice too.

I've used heated grips on my FJRs every winter. As far as I am concerned, they keep my hands comfortable indefinitely down to -2C, 28F (the lowest I've been out in) with the exception of the tips of my thumbs, which do get cold. The backs seem to be cold but not uncomfortably so.

There is no doubt that heated gloves are better in that they keep all parts of your hands warm. I don't use them because I am unlikely to ride in any lower temperatures, and I find the heated grips fine for my needs.

Heated grips are less hassle (no plugging in), and they are always on the bike, so if you get caught out without your heated gloves, they are there. Sometimes very useful, even in summer when the temperature cools and you've only got summer gloves.

I do use a heated vest for bodily warmth when out in the cold. Wouldn't be without it when out below 5C, 41F, or even a little higher if it's raining.

I'll agree with the fine gents above. I've had a heated liner and gloves for a few years now and can't say enough about how they've improved my riding experience, not only for warmth but towards eliminating any thoughts about what to wear. My '15 is the first bike I've owned with heated grips and before it came home I had no idea how'd I'd feel about having them. As was said, I find them convenient and cozy at certain times and definitely appreciate having them but, for me, they're no where close to being a substitute for heated gear. If you're going to invest both time and money into getting set up for cold-weather riding I'd suggest a liner and gloves as the first step.

I agree, heated grips are always nice to have, I would not want to own a bike without them. I think oem is best if you can get it, I have done aftermarket on a Harley and had good luck with them too.

Heated gloves are warm and toasty.

Much good advice above ^^^

I've installed Oxford Heaterz Adventure grips on 2 of my bikes and have been very happy with them. They're a little longer than the Touring model and can be trimmed to fit. In really cold weather, you need heated gloves or the snowmobile style muffs over the heated grips. A set of Oxford's are on my list for my new to me 06.

Much good advice above ^^^I've installed Oxford Heaterz Adventure grips on 2 of my bikes and have been very happy with them. They're a little longer than the Touring model and can be trimmed to fit. In really cold weather, you need heated gloves or the snowmobile style muffs over the heated grips. A set of Oxford's are on my list for my new to me 06.
punk.gif
...just make sure that you are in good enough shape to ride that thing.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks, it's going to be shorter rides for quite a while. Driving the pickup and trailer to WV and back gave me a good idea of my physical situation.
uhoh.gif

I have the Oxford touring grips they are great. I also have gerbing heated gloves and jacket. All that has been stated regarding warm palms but frozen knuckles applies.

Does anyone make a better product than Gerbing ? Or, are they the "Gold" standard when it comes down to heated gloves . It sounds like heated grips AND heated gloves , are the " hot set up " , If I want to keep my New Year resolution !

When I oder ed my Warm & Safe jacket liner, I also ordered the heated glove liners...I used them a few times when I had the 06, but have not needed them since getting the 16, with the heated grips...I think the key is a good pair of winter gloves, along with heated grips...at least that's what works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aerostich merino wool insulated elkskin gaunlets gloves, I bet those are some really nice gloves ..Would never have to worry about batteries or cables ,and you know those gloves will last .Those plus some heated grips might be the best way to go ...

Warm'nSafe heated gear (also sold as FirstGear) is the "hot setup, IMO. Lifetime replacement warranty on all electric clothing. Seen too many problems with other people's Gerbings units. And I think the business was sold off recently to someone else. Tourmaster Synergy stuff is not on the same level as Gerbings or Warm'nSafe.

I have a set of their First Gear 90W full sleeve liners and heated leather rider and passenger gloves that I bought at the now defunct Whitehorse Gear up in the White Mountains. We opted for a pair of the wired dual heat-trollers, and wear them in cell phone cases on our jacket belts, so they are accessible when underway. In retrospect I wish I had got at least one of the remote controlled Heattrollers (for myself) so I could have the remote control box mounted in easy eyesight up on the handlebars. No problem for the passenger to look down to adjust.

I've used combinations of heated grips 2nd generation FJR with heated liners, both Tourmaster & Firstgear as well as Firstgear and Tourmaster heated gloves. I like the Synergy Tourmaster jacket better, but it's not durable both mine and a riding buddy had the connections to the gloves fail after 30,000 miles or so of wear. The Firstgear has been flawless in operation, but the jacket design is completely different. The Tourmaster jacket has lining in it and keeps you as warm as your jacket liner without being turned on, where the Tourmaster is a very strong Windbreaker with electric heat.

As to grips vs. gloves. No one is pointing out that the handlebar is metal and conducts cold in the 30 degree 80 MPH riding generated wind. Without heated grips the handlebar conducts the outside cold into your gloves. For this reason the inside of the hand gets colder faster than the outside even though the outside is facing the wind. The heated grips reverse this so the handlebar is generating warmth to the hand. I've ridden the FJR in 30 degree weather at 85 MPH across America with heated grips on high and Refrigiwear gloves. My hands were a little cold but not cold enough for pain, frostbite or to make me take extra stops.

Two weeks ago I did a Chicago to St Louis weekend on the FJR. It was unseasonably warm hitting 60 degrees in St Louis and the Mark Twain Forest on Saturday afternoon, but on Sunday for the last hundred miles it was in the high twenties on I 55. I put on the heated liner and gloves running them and the heated grips on 80% high and was toasty. Also using Firstgear HT riding pants with the liner, Kenya Jacket with the liner and good winter boots with two pairs of socks, also a balaclava under the helmet.

This is not the right place to write this, but on the St Louis trip I got a give a way bargain to stay at the St Louis Airport Hilton for $65.00 a night all in. I was happily unpacking the FJR while celebrating that I could park it on the walk way near the front door and save the $20.00 a night (rape) parking fee. Then the dumbest thing happened. I left my Schuberth S2 sitting on the seat and it fell face shield first into the concrete walkway. The helmet hit square on the face shield and the right side plastic connection of the face shield. The connection holding the right side of the face shield to the helmet broke rendering the face shield useless. Luckily it was the end of Friday night. On Saturday morning I called Gateway BMW as they were a few miles from my hotel to see if they had a face shield I could buy, but they didn't, so I told them I wanted to buy an inexpensive helmet to finish my trip. They said that they only sell the $500.00 variety and sent me to another dealer called Donaldson's. They were very nice to me and I ended up buying an HJC CL 17 for about $140.00 all in and happily finished my trip. For what it's worth the HJC CL 17 surprised me by what a good helmet it is for the price. This is especially true if your head shape leans towards round.

Wondering about the effectiveness of thick bulky insulated gloves (my current solution) vs. handguards.

Either solution would include the super-effective Gen3 FJR heated grips.

I'll never have a street bike without heated grips again. JSNS

I've been a Tourmaster fan for a while, and have (unfortunately) crash tested their gear and was quite pleased with its performance. I have never considered them to be inferior to First Gear or Gerbing. I bought the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 about 5-ish years and 75,000 miles ago and so far, so good. Admittedly, I don't have to wear it as much as others, as things don't get as cold in the south. I picked the T/M because:

1. As Gurock points out, it has insulation in it that serves as a regular fairly warm wind breaker jacket at the campground and for walking around. One less thing to pack.

2. The controller is really simple - basic rheostat design. Draws a bit more power (of which the FJR has plenty to spare) but no fancy electronic printed circuit boards to go bad. And it comes with a dual controller, so if one side craps out, I've got a spare to use on the road.

3. I got it on sale at New enough for something stupid like $100.00 including the coupon I had at the time.

I do wish that I bought one size smaller, though. It fits fine in the chest, but not tight enough in the abdomen area. In order for the liner to be effective when heated, it has to be snug. I fixed it with safety pins, but one size smaller would have worked better. Ironically, by the time I'm almost home after a two week tour, it starts to fit much better!!! (Beer is good)