Ride to Monument Valley?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greysabor

Reaction score
I am thinking of riding possibly the last week of April thru 1st week of May from Puget Sound to Monument Valley, and Zion. I am looking for others to make the trip with. I am thinking 425 miles a day, three days down, 2 to 3 days riding the area and three days back.

Who can go along, I don't want to go alone, it's just not as much fun.

Any insights, must sees and places to stay let me know.

1. If you are a camper, we tented at Lee's Ferry Campground on the Colorado River and it was absolutely amazing:

https://goo.gl/maps/8VJSNawkCxj

We also camped at the Ponderosa campground just outside of the Zion park entrance. They have cabins there too:

https://www.zionponderosa.com/location/

2. Take a couple hours and run to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The view there is better than the south rim because no body goes there.

3. If you are a hiker, you simply MUST take the walk up to Angel's Landing. At 52 years of age, that still ranks as the greatest 5 miles of walking I have ever seen. The narrows hike along the Virgin River is also very nice, but if I had to pick only one, it would be Angel's Landing.

4. Either on the way or on the return, the Hwy 143 detour through the Cedar Breaks National Monument is well worth the time.

https://goo.gl/maps/4os5KeLjpFM2

5. Near Monument Valley, be sure to stop and walk to the overlook at Gooseneck State Park:

https://goo.gl/maps/MvrfNLMGFsr

All this and more at my ride report for this trip:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165312-get-busy-living/?hl=+get++busy++living

(ignore the crashing part....)

Finally, get a National Parks Pass - if you do the things on this list, you will come out even cost wise, and everything else is icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a tour of Monument Valley... don't take the big tour company.. look for the smaller kiosk on the other side of the parking lot... those tours are led by native Navajo people and they will be able to take you to parts of the land that are only allowed with a Navajo guide... fantastic stories and history and well worth the extra $10 imho.
cool.png

DSC4833-XL.jpg

Oh, and definitely plan on Moki Dugway... it's only a couple of miles but you ascend at a very quick rate and have amazing views of the surrounding area... be forewarned it is hard-packed dirt for most of it, paved in the corners but usually with lots of debris from other vehicles... but definitely worth it.
wink.png

DSC4961-XL.jpg

Tyler posted: Oh, and definitely plan on Moki Dugway... it's only a couple of miles but you ascend at a very quick rate and have amazing views of the surrounding area... be forewarned it is hard-packed dirt for most of it, paved in the corners but usually with lots of debris from other vehicles... but definitely worth it.
wink.png

DSC4961-XL.jpg
Dream trip, Tyler.

When at Zion, we always stay at the Desert Pearl. Request a room on the bottom floor in the back of the property, overlooking the stream. There are usually deer out in the evening. The Bit & Spur restaurant in town makes pretty good food and drinks.

4acbd469e4b6b91106fc2b30c5604fde.jpg

Tyler posted: Oh, and definitely plan on Moki Dugway... it's only a couple of miles but you ascend at a very quick rate and have amazing views of the surrounding area... be forewarned it is hard-packed dirt for most of it, paved in the corners but usually with lots of debris from other vehicles... but definitely worth it.
wink.png

DSC4961-XL.jpg
Dream trip, Tyler.
Tip of the proverbial iceberg... when you get there, I'm happy to help... ;)

Tyler posted: Tip of the proverbial iceberg... when you get there, I'm happy to help...
wink.png
LIKE.

(How can I be outta likes when this is the first thread I've read this morning?)

If planning on visiting the North Rim of Grand Canyon, the ride to the North Rim from Jacob Lake is utterly spectacular - and light in traffic. Regrettably, the traffic is so light that the North Rim is only open from May 15 to October 15 - in case your schedule has you in Southern Utah earlier in May.

And, the #1 ride in Utah is the Hogs Back highway between Torrey and Escalante - sheer beauty! And it is close to Hell's Backbone for the more adventuresome rider :) These routes have international reputations, so it is common to see streams of riders from around the world coming into Torrey for accommodations at night and then streaming back out in the morning.

Utah powder and motorcycle byways are among the best!

Planning a trip out to Utah (from Oklahoma) myself late spring or early summer. I'll send you a pm to see if we can meet up for at least part.