insole inserts for 1 to 1/2" lift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Anyone ever used shoe insole inserts for about 1 to 1/2" lift?

Does it work"

Comments please. And thanks for all input.

CK

No clue. In what kind of shoe? Motorcycle boots? I doubt it. Tight boots suck after 10 minutes. Tight booty never sucks.

I wore the soles mostly off a really good pair of riding boots a while back. Took them to a local cobbler to check what new soles would cost and figured it wouldnt hurt to see if he could make me taller at the same time. He was able to add about 1/2 to the soles along with new tread. It helps and since its on the outside, my feet arent squished inside the boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . Just don't overdo it.

m3EKpUKmaWXgVkRmHpqcWpg.jpg

That's way too much for an insole. If the shoe fits, that much insole will cause your instep to be crushed by the upper and not allow your heel to stay in place at the heel counter. The end result is likely to be bruising and blisters with little gain in height, You're better off with re-soling.

I have been wearing custom orthotics for the last 6 years.

I have a pair for one of my pairs of motorcycle boots.

I dont wear them for height augmentation, but for comfort.

They cant be installed in tight shoes. The shoes or boots need to be designed to accommodate them.

They make a huge difference in standing and walking comfort.

They are expensive (about $300 for the custom fitting and manufacture).

But they do add about half an inch to ground reach, and on taller bikes, this is a plus.

My Sidi Adventure boots have a naturally thicker sole, and this works too. Its not an issue for me on the FJR, but on adventure bikes, the adventure boots are a plus for this, and other, reasons.

I've done both the out-sole and insole. If your boots are above the ankle lace-up, you can make up for the tight fit of insoles buy using the half soles that raise the heel, and adjusting the fit of the dorsal by the lace tightness. If your boots are leather and tight in areas, Justin makes a spray that will help stretch tight areas. I have used this over the years on various types of boots and it helped about 50% of the time.

On a pair of Setup riding boots (racing style) that zipped up the side and fit perfectly, I had them resoled with 1/2" soles and heals. By the time the cobbler removed the old soles and put on the new higher ones, I only got about 1/4" higher height, as I neglected to calculate the height lost of the old soles! Something to think about.

The higher the soles and heals and the type are (if you go to extreme with 1/2" or higher), the stiffer they will be and that may change the feel you have for the brake and the shifter. Not that big of a deal, just something to anticipate getting used to and maybe even needing to adjust the shift lever a bit. And of course the more sole the heavier the boot.

The riding boot I wear the most are commonly referred to as 'duty boots'. They usually have higher heels and soles than design/label specific riding boots, have lace-up fronts and side zippers. I have found them to be strong, protective, yet flexible (after break in). I wore these type boots on several lay overs and a low side and they provided protection for my feet and ankles. I do wear heel inserts with these boots. I also found when wearing heel inserts on new boots, until they get broke in and I get used to them, my heel feels like it is lifting a bit out of the boot. Insole inserts also wear out quicker than out-soles and need to be replaced more often.

I wore the soles mostly off a really good pair of riding boots a while back. Took them to a local cobbler to check what new soles would cost and figured it wouldnt hurt to see if he could make me taller at the same time. He was able to add about 1/2 to the soles along with new tread. It helps and since its on the outside, my feet arent squished inside the boots.
I did the same thing.After putting the new shock on my FJR it was about 1/2 taller and being vertically challenged I need a little help. I took my boots into the cobbler and he put the same soles I have on my duty boots. Like Eagle said they were a little stiff, but broke in nicely. One thing I will say, with the soles they don't slide back and forth on the foot pegs like most flat soled boots due. It took a little getting used to, but well worth the investment IMHO.