TPS readout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
Im going thru checks on my new to me 06 and ran the diagnostics on the tps. The large number came up 102, where it should be 100. Does this mean its in turbo mode? Will my FJR blow up if I give it full throttle?

Seriously, is it worth adjusting the sensor for that discrepancy?

Thanks, Ill sleep well with one less worry! On to the next item on the to do list.

Bob

BTW, I never got the green progress bar at top for posting, or just didnt see it. Ill practice patience in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing this post, out of curiosity, I tried it on my 2014A (with 28k miles).I got 15 on closed throttle (specs 12-21), 105 on fully opened (specs 97-106). However, I'm not sure if this is normal: as soon as I moved the throttle, it jumped from 15 to 21, then it increased by 1, as expected all the way to 105, as the throttle moved.

Hi Mike,

I'm certainly far from being an authority on these things, but it is my understanding the idle range and full throttle range would imply (if out of ranch) that the TPS may need adjusting. If the readout did not increment gradually by 1 as the throttle is increased/decreased slowly and smoothly it would be an indication that the TPS may need replacing and/or adjustment. When I first tested my 07' it skipped a bit. I ran the test several times and it smoothed out from idle to full throttle. I think it was me at the start, as I just wasn't smooth and slow as I got with a little practice. I would try it a few more times and hopefully it will smooth out indicating technique was the culprit. If you continue to get the same results and feel confident you are smooth and slow and it skips both opening throttle and closing, you may have an issue. However, with that said, if your engine is running smooth and you don't have a jerkiness when you launch or any idle conditions out of the ordinary, it starts and idles as normal when warmed up, doesn't want to srall during take-off, I would say, ride it! I think this test is of some value when there are other symptoms, otherwise if it were me I wouldn't want to fix something that isn't broke.

Thanks for the reply, Eagle Six. I don't have a problem, yet :)

Just curious if anyone can get it to move from idle reading to the number 21 in increment of 1.

From 15 to 105, it moved smoothly in increment of 1. However, I couldn't get it to display anything between 15 and 21. It jumped from 15 to 21 and dropped from 21 back to 15.

May be that's what it's supposed to be.

Thanks again.

I only get upset when TPS won't reach 100. 99 is a real bummer and means somebody else has one more than you when they WOT.

Seriously, anything above 100 is clipped to 100 by the ECU. 97-106 means the TPS is working normally in the upper range and you are G2G.