Tire Swap / Oil Change Location Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the early stages of planning out a LONG ride where I will need to swap out tires in route.

I am expecting to need a rear tire swap out and oil change in the Seattle area, specifically anywhere

from Issaquah, WA. to Blaine, WA. The reason that I am inquiring so early is to give me time to have a tire

and oil sent to that location. I do not have the exact day yet, but it will be around August 13th.

If you could help me out, It would be very appreciated. I will be finishing up a multi BBG ride and in

transition to Blaine, WA. to start another ride to Key West, FL. (Orca To Billfish Gold" 60 hour version.

Thanks, Tony

There are a lot of forumites around there so I'm sure they will offer up. I'm a ways south in central Oregon but if I can help let me know.

Escape's garage has you covered Tony. I'm located about 5 miles north of Monroe and SR 2, 20 minutes east of Everett and I-5.

To save shipping, I'm happy to pick up a gallon of oil unless you're running something exotic that I can't find locally. Walmart is right down the road and we have a Yamaha dealer in town. My garage always has oil filters in stock!

Lemme know.

--George

I can also cover you in Auburn (between Seattle and Tacoma) about 12 miles from I-5. I have oil, filters, and a spare set of tires on hand, as well as a bike lift and tire machine.

Just a matter which location works into your route best. Yamaha dealer is just a few miles away if needed.

If a place in western Montana will help, then let me know. Tire changer, lift and bunk available.
Thank You ! I will definitely keep you in mind and take down your contact soon.

I am hoping to make George's (As it is about the perfect location for me) I will have over 17k on the rear though and may need

a swap closer east. I will PM you soon. Thanks!

Escape's garage has you covered Tony. I'm located about 5 miles north of Monroe and SR 2, 20 minutes east of Everett and I-5.
To save shipping, I'm happy to pick up a gallon of oil unless you're running something exotic that I can't find locally. Walmart is right down the road and we have a Yamaha dealer in town. My garage always has oil filters in stock!

Lemme know.

--George
George, You are in the perfect location ! I will PM you soon for some finer details.

Is the #203 from I-90 up to Monroe a decent option for routing? As for oil? I really like the Motul 7100 that I get from Cycle Gear.

I see there is a Cycle Gear near the 405 / I-5 ? Looks like I could stay on I-90 / Hit the 405 north and pick some up before stopping by.

I am really open on oil though. Just need it to be full synthetic and last at least 10-15k. Just need the rear tire done. I will probably be a

little loopy in the head by the time I arrive.

I can also cover you in Auburn (between Seattle and Tacoma) about 12 miles from I-5. I have oil, filters, and a spare set of tires on hand, as well as a bike lift and tire machine. Just a matter which location works into your route best. Yamaha dealer is just a few miles away if needed.
Thank You !

I think George's location will be great though. When I am done, I will be riding up to Blaine for the start of another ride.

If you are looking for breakfast any time of the day in Blaine, I suggest Big Al's diner.

https://bigalsdiner.com/

Dont get sucked into tourist prices for fuel in Blaine

Go to Yorkies, open 24 hrs

https://yorkstonoil.com/our-locations/

You want this location

YORKYS MARKET TRUCK HWY

1309 Boblett St

Blaine, WA 98230

360-332-4341

If its ice cream you crave, then

https://www.edaleendairy.com/

458 Peace Portal Drive

Blaine, WA 98230

All 3 of these places are 5 min or less from each other. All paved parking. Al's has free WiFi.

Anything else you want to know about Blaine, let me know.

-Steve

Anything else you want to know about Blaine, let me know.

-Steve
Steve- How bad is the Northwoods Motel?

I ask because its in my price range and I will most likely stay the night near my starting point.

I notice that it is right next to Big Als Diner also. I have been (Very Quickly) through Blaine on another ride.

Also : Heavy traffic times? (I am heading south back to I-90 from there)

Last edited by a moderator:
George, You are in the perfect location ! I will PM you soon for some finer details.Is the #203 from I-90 up to Monroe a decent option for routing? As for oil? I really like the Motul 7100 that I get from Cycle Gear.

I see there is a Cycle Gear near the 405 / I-5 ? Looks like I could stay on I-90 / Hit the 405 north and pick some up before stopping by.

I am really open on oil though. Just need it to be full synthetic and last at least 10-15k. Just need the rear tire done. I will probably be a

little loopy in the head by the time I arrive.
I've got you covered Tony. I'll make a trip to Cycle Gear and pick up Motul 7100, just let me know which weight you prefer. No reason for you to run around the metro traffic any more than absolutely necessary. Traffic sucks where Cycle Gear is located.

Using 203, it's 45 minutes from I-90 to my place. Depending on the time of day, it's a decent [slower] alternative although it does back up coming into Monroe weekdays anytime after ~4:00P. Not terrible bad but will slow you down 10-15 minutes.

--G

I ask because its in my price range and I will most likely stay the night near my starting point.

I notice that it is right next to Big Als Diner also. I have been (Very Quickly) through Blaine on another ride.

Also : Heavy traffic times? (I am heading south back to I-90 from there)

If you want to stay in Blaine, I think Northwoods is the only place still operating that has a good location for you.

I have never stayed there, as Blaine is my back yard (literally, I live on 0 Ave), and I havent heard anything bad.

I will ask around.

Outside of border traffic, there is no traffic in Blaine. As you go south on I-5 you get into Seattle traffic. Getting to I-90, if you use I-5, is about timing when you arrive in about Everett. As you can guess arriving anywhere near Seattle on a weekday afternoon is a bad idea if you are trying to make miles.

If you are avoiding interstates, then Hwy 9 (pick up anywhere in the Burlington/Mt Vernon/Sedro Woolley area) to 2 to 203 @ Monroe is a favorite m/c route.

Watch out for ugly cross winds on I-90 @ Ellensburg.

Where are you stepping off I-90?

There are Yamaha dealers in Burlington and Monroe if you need something.

I know there are many PNW forumites who can advise on routes in WA & OR etc.

Once your plans firm up a bit, post them up and you will get plenty of suggestions. I have a guy who knows pretty much every road, burger joint and ice cream place in WA and he loves to plan routes. He rides an H-D, which just proves no one is perfect.

If you need a witness for your ride start, let me know.

-Steve

Curious mind is asking is Blaine your turn around?
Blaine will be the start of a certificate ride called "Orca To Billfish" It is from Blaine, WA to Key West Florida. I have 60 hours to complete it for the "Gold"

version. This ride is one of over 6 rides I will be attempting back to back within the month of August. My overall goal is to achieve the "Longest Month",

The "Longest Month" is riding at least 31k miles in 31 days. I am still piecing together the rides in the early stages of planning.

Heen posted: Damn, my butt hurts just reading this. Looking forward to hearing more about this.
Custom seats help. I think the Pathfinder sits on a Russell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Tony

I drove by the Northwoods on Tuesday. I can report a neat appearance and clean parking lot.

I asked around, but none of my riding group have ever stayed there.

Its certainly got location. You can almost throw a rock from the motel parking lot to the I-5 on ramp.

HTH's

-Steve

Tony, bed, lift, food, tools etc here on I90 if you need them. See you in mid-March for the ride to Key West?
Thanks John !

How far from I-90 are you? I will be riding through Spearfish 20 times on this ride.

I should be able to ride to Key West with you, are you and Scott doing the ride together?

I am right on I-95 in West Palm, if you need anything.

Hi Tony

I drove by the Northwoods on Tuesday. I can report a neat appearance and clean parking lot.

I asked around, but none of my riding group have ever stayed there.

Its certainly got location. You can almost throw a rock from the motel parking lot to the I-5 on ramp.

HTH's

-Steve
Thanks for checking this out for me. I have stayed at some dives before, but at this one I need to get some solid sleep.

I would like to make KC, MO from Blaine non-stop and rest at a rest stop just to the east of KC. and make Key West on

Iron Butt Motels only.

"I would like to make KC, MO from Blaine non-stop"

H'mmm, thats about 1960 miles.

When I told my girlfriend what you were planing she said you were nuts.

When I told her this was part of your 31k in 31 days, she asked me, and not for the first time, why FRJ's bring out this madness in men?

I said if she rode one, she would know the answer.

-Steve