CFR 2018 - other BC destinations ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
Need a little help from others so we can find another place, similar to Nakusp, so we can spend a few days prior to the rally and relax and chill out. We've been to BC multiple times so we need something new to visit.,

We've been to and stayed at the following places, so these are out :

Banff, Jasper, Mt Robson, multi times including last year ( and also Nakusp campgrounds last year ! )

Nelson, Ainsworth hot springs, Revelstoke, Vernon, Victoria Island, the Sunshine Coast all the way to Milepost 0 of highway 101, Whistler, Pemberton, Lillooet, ( road from Pemberton to Lillooet had 17% grades and was an amazing ride, you Canadians are keeping that a secret ! ) .

Ridden through most towns in a days riding distance of Nakusp.

So where else is like Nakusp that you'd recommend, any other small town lake towns you'd stay at ?

Thanks.

If you're back in North Okanagan, be sure to visit the Deep Creek Tool Museum if you haven't already. Really interesting family-run biz. The older you are the more you'll enjoy it. Allow a couple hours.

You can ride the Chase-Falkland Rd the same day. A few kms of dirt in the middle but it's usually in good shape, no problem on an FJR. Sample photo below taken along the way. If you're feeling a little energetic you can hike up to the Pillar Lake hoodoo. It's a short but steep hike, so allow about an hour for the stop.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hoodoo_near_Pillar_Lake_outside_Falkland,_British_Columbia,_Canada.jpg

https://postimg.org/image/7vl84u3bv/

Looks like your kind of place OM but you may have to raise you standards a little.
smile.png

Kaslo is cute, but too close to Nakusp...

Let me pour a glass and mull it over

And OM? I could have guessed you had a thing for Surrey girls.

......tramp

If you dont mind gravel...then the Spray Lakes road that has Canmore at its northern terminus is simply incredible..
Hmmmm... will be staying in Canmore for a couple of nights...
cool.png
When you say gravel, what kind of gravel? Loose wiggly stuff or hard packed dirt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loose & wiggly..and the road has frequent signs along the warning you not to stop due to the risk of avalanches - I always stop in those places to take pictures. The road is in a narrow valley with the spray lakes running along the west side of the road. The descent into Canmore is twisty - damned twisty with lots of switchbacks. I suggest that you rent a car, take camera gear, drive south on pavement to the Peter Lougheed park entrance, then double back on the gravel road.

The official name of the road is The Smith-Dorrien trail:

https://www.canmorekananaskis.com/sightseeing/canmore_scenic_drives.html

before anyone makes set in stone plans, just keep in mind we have had a heavy snow year here...

I am pretty sure I'll be staring at snow banks in June on my way thru the Coq, if I go that way.

You might want to venture up the back roads west of Calgary and pop thru via Rocky Mtn House, since you have done a lot of the other routes. Radium has nice hot springs that have just had an upgrade done. Yoho National Park is pretty too on the way out of there, up to Lake Louise.

I got sort of lost once and ended up in Anglemont. Road eventually turned dirt but a very nice meandering road along the north side of massive Shuswap Lake. You can also go NE in that area through Roderick Haig-Brown Park and the road does go to dirt following Adams Lake but is well maintained and eventually is paved again (Agate Bay Road) heading to Highway 5. I'd like to do that ride again, it's beautiful country....

I got sort of lost once and ended up in Anglemont. Road eventually turned dirt but a very nice meandering road along the north side of massive Shuswap Lake. You can also go NE in that area through Roderick Haig-Brown Park and the road does go to dirt following Adams Lake but is well maintained and eventually is paved again (Agate Bay Road) heading to Highway 5. I'd like to do that ride again, it's beautiful country....
There are some highly rated roads in that neighbourhood...

Per Destination Highways BC

Salmon Arm is a nice lakeside resort spot for a night's stay, as is, oh bloody hell, I wanna say "Mara Lake" (?), on a backroad south out of Sicamous on the way to Grindrod

Christina Lake looks small time like Nakusp ? Worth a few days visit ?

Dirt roads are a no go this trip as we''ll be two up on the 'Wing this tour.

Christina Lake is lovely, but a few days? Maybe, but not much to do there. Grand Forks, which is closeby, is a pretty little town on the river, and the land of borscht and perogies. Settled by Dukhubor farmers long ago