Corrosion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
I picked up my pristine new bike on the 17th of January. Took it in for its 600 mile service some 6 weeks later, having covered some 620 Miles.

Picked it up today (after a week's delay due to snow).

Met by the manager, who said to me, "Have you cleaned it?".

"Yes, said I, it got filthy."

He then proceeded to tell me off for not cleaning the brake calipers, and showed me pictures of them. I have to admit they looked horrible, really nasty corrosion, no argument.

They'd taken them off and cleaned them up (more pictures, looked like new).

He then warned that Yamaha won't cover warranty claims that might have been caused by inadequate cleaning - they were in current discussions over a bike that was losing paint from the radiator, he suspects the owner had used a pressure washer too harshly, and Yamaha were unlikely to meet the claim.

My own experience had always been that Yamaha are very good with claims, but I wouldn't blame them if I'd had a brake problem when they looked like mine did, and they wouldn't cover the repair.

I fully admit I'd not done a thorough cleaning job. The bike was absolutely filthy the day before I took it in, it only got a quick hose-down (the weather wasn't conducive to much else).

Oh, yes, I have a very good relationship with the dealer, I didn't mind him giving me a talking to. I did deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never washed my calipers with anything more than water out of a garden hose and have never had a corrosion problem. Were you riding in salt water or some other highly corrosive additive on the highways?

Maybe the real issue is timing. How much time passed between your ride and washing the bike?

I have certainly had a very thin patina of rust on the rotors after putting it away wet - especially with some residual salt from the roads in the spring. Never had anything going on with the calipers other than, perhaps, on the brake pads after a few stops with the rusty rotors.

Last time I changed brake pads, I noticed a small bit of pitting on the brake pistons. Not enough to leak fluid or make me worry about the seals but something that might be an issue in the future. This is after 11 years and almost 200,000 miles.

anytime my bike is parked near the coast [frequently] the rotors look like hell...guessing you are not too far from the salt water...[is anyplace in the UK ?] the silver coated calipers don't seem to be affected tho...I wash often with S100 cleaner which is the dogs bollocks.

Im surprised that your dealer even looked at the brakes closely enough to find this for a 600 mile (1000) service.

I dont think this is on the check list.

Makes me wonder if they have seen this during shipping in the past and decided to check.

Either way, at least you can keep an eye on it going forward and this provides a little heads up for other folks going forward.

Canadian FJR

I'm surprised that your dealer even looked at the brakes closely enough to find this for a 600 mile (1000) service.I don't think this is on the check list.

Canadian FJR
Check list includes brakes for operation, fluid level, leakage, and "Change brake pads if necessary" even on the 600 mile service. So I'd be very surprised if they didn't spot some corrosion on the callipers.

Checklist below:

(Click on image for larger view)

Then there's the diagnostics:

Told you I am very happy with the dealer (but he does circle the Yamaha torque spec on the engine drain plug, hope he didn't actually use it!).

The bad news is that we now have to pay the labour for this service, it used to be included in the purchase price. Oh, well, such is life ...

Was it dirt. or was it from road salt that seems to get great use in your part of the world?

Was it dirt. or was it from road salt that seems to get great use in your part of the world?
I'd guess a mixture. I wouldn't have hosed off the brake pads very hard, so there would be a lot of wet dirt mixed in with, as you suggest, road salt. Worst possible state for corrosion.

Hopefully we won't get any more salt this season, but it could nappen.

I picked up my pristine new bike on the 17th of January. Took it in for its 600 mile service some 6 weeks later, having covered some 620 Miles.
Picked it up today (after a week's delay due to snow).

Met by the manager, who said to me, "Have you cleaned it?".

"Yes, said I, it got filthy."

He then proceeded to tell me off for not cleaning the brake calipers, and showed me pictures of them. I have to admit they looked horrible, really nasty corrosion, no argument.

They'd taken them off and cleaned them up (more pictures, looked like new).

He then warned that Yamaha won't cover warranty claims that might have been caused by inadequate cleaning - they were in current discussions over a bike that was losing paint from the radiator, he suspects the owner had used a pressure washer too harshly, and Yamaha were unlikely to meet the claim.

My own experience had always been that Yamaha are very good with claims, but I wouldn't blaim them if I'd had a brake problem when they looked like mine did, and they wouldn't cover the repair.

I fully admit I'd not done a thorough cleaning job. The bike was absolutely filthy the day before I took it in, it only got a quick hose-down (the weather wasn't conducive to much else).

Oh, yes, I have a very good relationship with the dealer, I didn't mind him giving me a talking to. I did deserve it.

Mac, Having read all the many detailed posts from you on maintenance I would have never dreamed you would abuse your bike like that! Can we now assume you will not let it happen again??

Mac, Having read all the many detailed posts from you on maintenance I would have never dreamed you would abuse your bike like that! Can we now assume you will not let it happen again??
Hmm. Cleaning has never been at top of my agenda. It was usually my Better Half who say something like "Isn't it about time ...".

In this case, my only excuse was the weather. It was just above freezing, the bike was absolutely caked with filth.

Realised I had to do something because the numberplate couldn't be read by a speed camera. "That's good" you might say, but this is one of the things that a real policeman will take notice of.

I hosed it off rather than hand-washed it 'cos I was cold (even wearing my motorcycle kit to keep me dry while I played hosepipes). (Actually I carefully used a pressure washer. A simple hosepipe nozzle wouldn't do nearly enough.)

Before, and a blow-up showing the front brake area:

(Click on any image for a larger view)

Another "before":

After:

The roads in the UK get smothered in salt over the winter. However the weather is rarely that bad you can't ride so plenty of riders (me included) ride all the year round. This is really hard on bikes IME but winter can be pretty fun too.

I can see where a dealer would raise an eyebrow at the filthy condition of that motorcycle, even after a quick rinse. It gets warmer and cleaner from here on as Spring really sets in, and it looks like you've been having way too much fun.
punk.gif

Next time, make it pretty for the dealer, then go have fun...life is too short to worry about the bike being clean.

So, brake calipers that are unprotected, outside, connected to the wheels, and close to the ground aren't supposed to get dirty? That dealer guy is a jackass. Remember that, if you ever have any warranty issue. I guarantee he will NOT back you.

Dirty is one thing, covered in salt is another. No bike can be protected against being covered in salt and left in that condition. The OP knows this and I found out the hard way too when I rode my 2004 through two UK winters in 2005 and 2006 and didn't wash it thoroughly enough. Header bolts, alternator cover and the right hand side timing chain cover all corroded badly. I was not happy. The best way to clean is to take the fairing off. Salt is nasty stuff.

So, brake calipers that are unprotected, outside, connected to the wheels, and close to the ground aren't supposed to get dirty? That dealer guy is a jackass. Remember that, if you ever have any warranty issue. I guarantee he will NOT back you.
For once, I have to totally disagree with you (glad there's the Atlantic between us).

The dealer showed me the document issued by Yamaha for guidance on warranty claims, including a section that referred to the customer taking reasonable care with cleaning, so it's not him being bolshy, it's him telling me Yamaha's position. There's also a bit on care in the Owner's Manual which says "While the open design of a motorcycle reveals the attractiveness of the technology, it also makes it more vulnerable. Rust and corrosion can develop even if high-quality components are used. ... Frequent and proper care does not only comply with the terms of the warranty ...".

As far as backing claims, I would refer you to a very relevant posting I made (which you made a reply to) where the front brakes seized on my previous bike. My dealer came up absolute trumps both in getting the problem fixed within a very few days, and getting Yamaha to foot the bill, I quote my summary:

They've fitted two new discs on the front, and all 8 new disc pads.
Charge to me: Zilch. Yamaha are covering all new parts and labour, Arnolds are covering the bike pick-up, "Since Yamaha accept it wasn't the owner's fault, we think it's unfair the owner should be out of pocket, so we won't charge.
So, I'm very happy with the dealer, and, as I said in the opening post, "I have a very good relationship with the dealer, I didn't mind him giving me a talking to."

For once, I have to totally disagree with you (glad there's the Atlantic between us).

The dealer showed me the document issued by Yamaha for guidance on warranty claims, including a section that referred to the customer taking reasonable care with cleaning, so it's not him being bolshy, it's him telling me Yamaha's position. There's also a bit on care in the Owner's Manual which says "While the open design of a motorcycle reveals the attractiveness of the technology, it also makes it more vulnerable. Rust and corrosion can develop even if high-quality components are used. ... Frequent and proper care does not only comply with the terms of the warranty ...".

As far as backing claims, I would refer you to a very relevant posting I made (which you made a reply to) where the front brakes seized on my previous bike. My dealer came up absolute trumps both in getting the problem fixed within a very few days, and getting Yamaha to foot the bill, I quote my summary:

They've fitted two new discs on the front, and all 8 new disc pads.Charge to me: Zilch. Yamaha are covering all new parts and labour, Arnolds are covering the bike pick-up, "Since Yamaha accept it wasn't the owner's fault, we think it's unfair the owner should be out of pocket, so we won't charge.
So, I'm very happy with the dealer, and, as I said in the opening post, "I have a very good relationship with the dealer, I didn't mind him giving me a talking to."
Haha...Ok then. So long as you're happy. I was wondering if it was the same dealer. Just making sure he doesn't hose you and I don't have to swim over there and give him a sternly worded letter!!

Dirty is one thing, covered in salt is another. No bike can be protected against being covered in salt and left in that condition. The OP knows this and I found out the hard way too when I rode my 2004 through two UK winters in 2005 and 2006 and didn't wash it thoroughly enough. Header bolts, alternator cover and the right hand side timing chain cover all corroded badly. I was not happy. The best way to clean is to take the fairing off. Salt is nasty stuff.
very true...so my FJR sits next to my Dodge Charger all winter long....garage queens that never see salt...

I've used ACF-50 on various parts here and there but have also read of some treating just about their entire bike to a bath of this stuff. Might help.

acf-50.jpg

... Haha...Ok then. So long as you're happy. I was wondering if it was the same dealer. Just making sure he doesn't hose you and I don't have to swim over there and give him a sternly worded letter!!
Yes, same dealer. Used them since my first FJR in 2006, always been happy with their treatment of me and my bikes, so your stern letter not currently required, but thanks for the offer!

... very true...so my FJR sits next to my Dodge Charger all winter long....garage queens that never see salt...
If I didn't ride when the bike might get to see bad weather, I wouldn't ride much at all. I've got it to ride, and that I do. If its finish suffers a bit, then so will my wallet on resale. But if I worried about resale value, I couldn't do the relatively high mileage (for the UK) that I do (though not so much in the past year).

... I've used ACF-50 on various parts here and there but have also read of some treating just about their entire bike to a bath of this stuff. Might help.
Not convinced I'd want to use that on my brakes
uhoh.gif