Looking for Selling Advise for 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted here. I'm thinking about selling my 2008, and would like to know what a fair price would be. I purchased the bike new in 2008 and now have 23000 miles her. It runs great. Of course I dropped it once a few years ago at a stop sign. That's a story in itself. There was minimal damage but I had to replace a mirror and blinker lens, and did some light touch up on the fairing and bag. Nobody notices it unless I point it out. The bike still gets compliments. It has a nice Sargent drivers seat and a removable Pirates Lair Stealth passenger backrest. Tires are good. This is in Florida. I think that's it.

Also what is the best way to actually sell it, as in test drives, paperwork etc. It would seem like a bad idea to let strangers test ride an FJR. I haven't sold a vehicle privately in a long time. Any advice would be helpful.

I might just keep the bike anyway. I still ride a few times a week, but I just don't enjoy it quite as much as I used to. A little extra cash would be helpful with some other toys. Thanks

Just keep it ,Iam assuming its paid for . With the smallest amount of maintenance ,and a fun factor off the charts , Its a win win ! They really are great motorcycles .. Something around $6000.00 grand I 'am thinking ?? If you really need the money . Just keep it !!!

At some point, i'm going to be looking for a smaller, lighter bike If you're not loving it, I say sell. Check out Kelly Blue Book, NADA Guide, or call a local dealer and see what they're bringing at auction. I'm seeing used 2014's selling under $9000. I sold an 06 last year for $3900 and thought thought that was a reasonable price (or more correctly, that's what I was able to get for it from a private buyer). I'd have taken more for the bike, but that was the best offer I received after being on the market for two months.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Prices for 08s are so low I am keeping mine to use as a spare when friends visit.

I'm starting to see it might be better to just keep it till the end. It still runs like new. Looking back this purchase was one of the best of my life. Paid cash around 15k new, divided by 10 years of fun equals about $1500. per year. The longer I keep it the lower that number gets!

I'm starting to see it might be better to just keep it till the end. It still runs like new. Looking back this purchase was one of the best of my life. Paid cash around 15k new, divided by 10 years of fun equals about $1500. per year. The longer I keep it the lower that number gets!
I'd say if you enjoy the bike and the only reason your only putting on 2,300 miles a year on is that all that life stuff gets in your way, keep it. It's a strong platform that should give you lots of trouble free miles. Remember your coming up on the first valve check.

My 08 with a Cee Bailey shield provided better wind protection than the 14 with Cee Bailey I have now. Probably should have kept it and added a cruise.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '08 has 93K and runs like a champ with one valve adjustment total so far. I swear it gets better gas mileage now than it did when it had the mileage yours does. Suspension both ends redone. For a basically worthless bike I like it a LOT
smile.png

Spoke with Joseph MCML the other night. He's looking to GIVE his fjr to a fellow fjrforum doode in need (already picked, don't beg!) and buy a lighter bike. Another way to do good with an older fjr!

I look at it this way: If I sold my loaded '08 for even $6K, what could I buy for that same $$ that is any where near the bike mine is now? If I really needed $$ for some emergency and HAD to sell it , oh well, c'est la vie but to me my FJR is more valuable than the $$ it's worth.

Of the 15 or so bikes I've had in my life I only really regret having sold my Cagiva Gran Canyon. I think the FJR would be also.

My guess is that around $5k or less it will move pretty quick, and at $6k or more it will sit indefinitely. Maybe start around $5500 and see what happens?

I've sold most of my (recent) previous bikes by listing on Craigslist and cycle trader. The former results in a lot of spam, but is such a popular place for buyers to look it's worth putting up with the nonsense. Refresh The ad every two days. The later allows free 2-week listings and seems so not result in as many phony responses. After the listing expires you have to make a new one.

Usual protocol for a used bike purchase is to allow test rides with cash placed in the seller's hand as collateral. If it's dropped it's bought. I've laxed on this a few times and let the buyer ride it without a deposit, when I was comfortable with the buyer. I would ask for the deposit, but size up the buyer and do what you are comfortable with. The deposit is a good idea and if you put that stipulation in your ad they'll expect it when they show.

I like your cost-per-year analysis. :) But if you sell it for $5k your cost per year drops to $1000, and you don't have to wait another 5 years.

You've averaged not that many miles per year. Maybe those miles were front-loaded in the first few years? Are you going to ride it if you keep it? Is it better to have the cash for other toys than the FJR sitting and getting used only very rarely? Depending on the answers to those questions, you should sell or keep. My guess is you aren't that into the bike any more if you are this close to selling.

Good luck!

Good point on the cost per year drop. lol

I still ride 2 or 3 times a week. Usually short rides after work. You're right that the mileage on the bike wasn't put on evenly. There were a few years when I didn't ride much at all. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I was just considering selling my 2008 FJR, since life has gotten in the way and I have ridden it very little the past few years. However, after looking at the value, I've decided to keep it. Even though it's a '08 and maybe not worth more than $5k, it's still a lot of bike for the money - power, styling, touring. Heck, just the thought of dealing with Craig's List idiots makes me want to keep it.