Rear shock swap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapedup

Reaction score
Hey can someone tell me if I can swap out an 06 rear shock with an 07?

Reason being is I have a chance to swap my 06 for a Penski but his is an 07, will they swap right out?

Oh crap, sorry guys I made a mistake, I just bought a 14 and wondering if the 07 Penski shock will swap out,

Has anyone ever done this?

Yes, straight swap. I put a Gen 3 on my 07. Easy peasy.
I must be a terrible mechanic. I put a Gen. 3 shock on my 07, but it was hard as hell. It took me hours to remove everything and loosen all the ABS stuff to get to that bolt. Oh well, it got done. LOL

Yes, straight swap. I put a Gen 3 on my 07. Easy peasy.
I must be a terrible mechanic. I put a Gen. 3 shock on my 07, but it was hard as hell. It took me hours to remove everything and loosen all the ABS stuff to get to that bolt. Oh well, it got done. LOL
You can pry the ABS bracket up to get the bolt out or do what I did after a couple of times. Cover everything with rags and take a dremel tool and cut some clearance, put a little paint on it and never again a problem.

You can pry the ABS bracket up to get the bolt out or do what I did after a couple of times.
Yep. When I put the Ohlins on my '13 a couple weekends ago I thought I was going to have to do a lot of disassembly to get the ABS stuff out of the way, but there's enough flex in the lines to just pry things up out of the way to get the top shock bolt out. The shock swap was a fast and painless job.