2013 rear shock part no 1MC-22210-00

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benhur

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking into upgrading/renewing my rear shock on my 2008...

I remember reading that the part number above has an uprated spring rate and is in general improved over my shock, but that the part is an interchangeable fit (so its easy to fit and still looks "factory")

can anyone volunteer the spring rate used on this 2013 part. I remember reading a forum post about it but cannot find it anywhere

thanks in advance

R.

I can't answer as to the spring rate but I have done the swap on my 2007. What information I can tell you is that the spring on the Gen 2 OEM shock had coils that measured 12mm diameter and the Gen 3 rear shock I installed the coils measured 14mm. Ride quality was dramatically improved and I can now ride 2 up with the rear set on soft.

file:///C:/Users/Phil/Downloads/FJR%20Suspension%20Matrix%20Rev.%201%20(1).pdf

I think Ray put this together. {dang, I hope I am right about that} you should be able to find out what you want in here. I took pictures of my 07 shock when I took it off and OBND's shock he gave me from his 14. If you wanted to see them I could email them to you. The shocks are identical except for that the 14 springs are a little bigger and with different numbers of coils.

I did a swap on my 08 with a Gen III shock. I noticed a nice difference. It was definitely worth the few bucks for the shock.

is the swap a routine swap with all bolts and dimensions matching etc?

anything which is problematic or difficult to do?

thanks

R.

I was looking at parts fiches on a website and they do not list the same shock for all Gen III model years. (2017-18 are only ES)

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

(Boats.net doesn't seem to have FJR parts lists past 2013)

2013 lists the shock assembly as 1MC-22210-10-00 for $430

2016 lists the shock assembly as 1MC-22210-50-00 for $354

(2007 is listed as 3P6-22210-10-00 for $619!!!)

Anybody know the difference between the 2013 and the 2016 shock?

I swapped my '08 shock for a Gen III. It was easier than I was expecting -- it's plug and play with the Gen II shock. I'm a very slow mechanic and did it one night after work in a couple hours or less total including cleaning things up. Agree that it works well too, no more pogo stick in the corners like the worn out one was causing.

To answer the question that the OP originally asked, I did some sag tests on my 13 shock comparing sag rates to a 800lb ebach spring and my best guess was that the 13 shock had about a 780lb rate in the soft position and 950lb in the hard position, both of which were a little less than Yamahas published spring rates but far heavier than the GEN2 spring rates.

The GEN3 shocks also appear to have much better damping than the GEN2 shocks, resulting is a plush ride and better handling even with the heavier springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the swap a routine swap with all bolts and dimensions matching etc?
anything which is problematic or difficult to do?

thanks

R.
I put a '13 shock on my '07.

Yes, direct swap using all the same bolts, etc. Only thing to think through is supporting the bike so it doesn't fall over, other than that it's take out/put in. I did all the center stand, relay arm and swing arm clean-n-lube at the same time as replacing the shock.

For those who have a Gen III shock, how are they holding up? I know for the Gen II rear shocks, they get pretty crappy by 50,000 miles or less.

Does anyone know if there is any real difference between the shock listed for the 2013-15 (1MC-22210-10-00) and the shock for the 2016 (1MC-22210-50-00). The one for the 2016 is $76 cheaper, for some reason!

Sometimes the old part numbers are more expensive (availability?) and sometimes a number changes with a different supplier even if the part specification doesn't change at all.

Does the shock change ,change seat height ? M I Two more inches off the ground ?
Nope, eye to eye length is the same. You might gain a little due to heavier spring but it will be small.
--G
I agree, the change for me was less than 1/4". I'm 5'10", 30" inseam and I use the Comfort seat in the high position before & after the install. No noticeable difference.

thanks for all the information gentlemen....i will be looking into the comparison between the 2013 shock and possibly a nitron number...

R.

For those who have a Gen III shock, how are they holding up? I know for the Gen II rear shocks, they get pretty crappy by 50,000 miles or less.
Does anyone know if there is any real difference between the shock listed for the 2013-15 (1MC-22210-10-00) and the shock for the 2016 (1MC-22210-50-00). The one for the 2016 is $76 cheaper, for some reason!

Sometimes the old part numbers are more expensive (availability?) and sometimes a number changes with a different supplier even if the part specification doesn't change at all.

Any of you Gen III long distance riders, have an opinion on this? I have an 2013 shock on my 2007, with about 40k on it, starting to wonder how much longer I have. Current Odometer is 83k.

Any of you Gen III long distance riders, have an opinion on this? I have an 2013 shock on my 2007, with about 40k on it, starting to wonder how much longer I have. Current Odometer is 83k.
I don't have miles offhand but to me the sign of the worn out rear shock was a pogo effect when going hard through corners. The wallowing is not confidence inspiring. Put the new rear on there and bike went back to being stable and holding the line.

I was looking at parts fiches on a website and they do not list the same shock for all Gen III model years. (2017-18 are only ES)
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

(Boats.net doesn't seem to have FJR parts lists past 2013)

2013 lists the shock assembly as 1MC-22210-10-00 for $430

2016 lists the shock assembly as 1MC-22210-50-00 for $354

(2007 is listed as 3P6-22210-10-00 for $619!!!)

Anybody know the difference between the 2013 and the 2016 shock?
I read a bike review on the 2016 that KYB was on the rear vs Yamaha branded. Maybe thats why??? Now which is better, the Yamaha Gen 3 or KYB Gen 3 rear shock??? I was going to upgrade mine so curious to get anyone else feedback!