(In)Tech Day VI 05/19/2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Due to my new job, I am unable to have my tech day in April. I will be attending the SEO Ramble the first weekend in May, so I am proposing to have it 5/19 or 5/26. Which weekend works best. Once the date is set I will modify this post with relevant information.

I was just reminded that the 26th is Memorial Day weekend and I will not have it that weekend. Hopefully, the 19th will work for everybody otherwise it will have to be postponed until 6/2.

I have set the date for 5/19. If it conflicts with Mike's oh well. We are in different regions after all.

Lodging in Dahlgren, VA for anyone that wants to stay over: (I know they aren't cheap. Sharing might make it more economical)

Quality Inn $104

Holiday Inn Express $117 (Brand new hotel)

Country Inn & Suites $110 (Used to be the Holiday Inn Express)

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike can always use something. This year it is NOT a valve check. They checked as good last tech day. Yay! luv my rice burner... 117,000 miles o smiles. I'll keep an eye in here for dates.

Bob - 5/26 is Memorial Day weekend. I think wnyfjr is hosting a tech day that weekend up in New York, but he's been kinda noncommittal on the date.

OK thanks for the info. I don't know why I didn't notice that it is Memorial day weekend. Definitely will not have it that weekend. Called it for the 19th. Updated title and first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will look into this and may find a room to get the night before somewhere nearby since it is a little ways up there from where I live. I can bring a Morgan Carbtune and a couple of items if needed.

Only about a 4 1/2 hour drive from there. I have a Carbtune, but you are welcome to bring it. There are several options for lodging in Dahlgren(which is part of King George). I will look into current pricing.

Jay was inquiring about your tech day. I'll shoot him a message about it. I can likely be counted as an "in". I probably should do brake/clutch fluid. Still haven't gotten that bolt out that I broke. I'm really bummed about that. It's going to take time that I really don't have to sort that out. My surgery is scheduled for April 5th & trying to have all maintenance required for my Ohio trip b4 then. It's not looking spiffy for that to happen. sighhhh...

I'm new to the forum and a new FJR owner. I will apologize ahead of time for asking stupid questions. How do the tech days work? I saw a reference of SEO Ramble, What and were is this.

Bluelitenin, I don't know what Jeff told you, but a few of us FJR owners host these tech days to provide an opportunity for others to learn about doing their own maintenance. Usually the host or some other experienced attendees provide the special tools needed like seal drivers, TBS tool, and any other required hand tools. We usually accomplish quite a lot. Last year I think we did 4 valve clearance checks. Five including mine.(done the night before)

As for the SEO Ramble go to the Midwest section under meets/organized rides and read the thread for the 2018 SEO Ramble. It is in Marietta, OH 5/3 to 5/6.

Hi

I am new to posting here. I live near Greensboro NC.

I definitely want to perform a valve clearance check. My 2003 FJR has 50k miles. I bought it with 45k two years ago.

I have a shim kit.

HC,

You will need to give yourself time to allow the engine to be completely cold. You will need the coolant O-ring, valve cover gasket, coolant and the side cover gasket. Has your cam chain tensioner been upgraded? If not get a new one. I will PM you my address. I have family in the Greensboro area, so I know how long it takes to get there from here. The first post has information on local accommodations.

Hi

I definitely want to perform a valve clearance check. My 2003 FJR has 50k miles. I bought it with 45k two years ago.

I have a shim kit.
I plan on meandering up on Friday the 18th from Asheboro, maybe via Lynchburg, VA to meet up with a buddy. No specific plans yet but you're welcome to ride along if you want. We don't get in any hurry & take regular breaks.

Hi

I have a shim kit.
I plan on meandering up on Friday the 18th from Asheboro, maybe via Lynchburg, VA to meet up with a buddy. No specific plans yet but you're welcome to ride along if you want. We don't get in any hurry & take regular breaks.

I plan to meander Friday the 18th as well. You can reach me via pm here. We can meet somewhere convenient on your route Friday.

HC,You will need to give yourself time to allow the engine to be completely cold. You will need the coolant O-ring, valve cover gasket, coolant and the side cover gasket. Has your cam chain tensioner been upgraded? If not get a new one. I will PM you my address. I have family in the Greensboro area, so I know how long it takes to get there from here. The first post has information on local accommodations.
Thanks. I will get those items on order. My guess is that the tensioner is stock. Is there a better one than stock? I acquired this bike with zero service history.

I look forward to the wrench session.

The tensioner will have a blue or green dot on it if it was upgraded. Even if you are not sure, the cost of a new far outweighs the cost you would incur if it failed. Any stock one you buy now will be an upgraded one.