North Cascades Highway to reopen FRIDAY May 11th, 10am

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's the news release we've all been waiting for:

Washington State Department of Transportation - NEWS Northwest Region – 15700 Dayton Avenue N. - Shoreline, WA 98133-9710 – 206-440-4000

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 7, 2018

Contacts: Andrea E. Petrich, communications, 360-757-5963, Burlington Jeff Adamson, communications, 509-667-2815, Wenatchee

North Cascades Highway to reopen Friday, May 11

DIABLO – Despite challenges with spring snow and avalanche conditions, State Route 20/North Cascade Highway is on track to reopen at 10 a.m. Friday, May 11.

Over the last several weeks, maintenance crews from the Washington State Department of Transportation have worked on opposite ends of the 37-mile closed section of road and will finally meet near Rainey Pass, Monday, May 7.

Next steps

Beginning Tuesday, the avalanche team will clear remaining snow from chutes above the roadway. Additional work includes clearing snow from turnouts, cleaning ditches of debris and reinstalling signs and guardrail, before the gates swing open later this week.

Challenging spring conditions

Historically, clearing the highway takes about 4-6 weeks. This year it will take seven due to the soft snow and risky avalanche conditions. Often times chutes would dump snow onto portions of the road that were previously plowed. Although clearing took longer than usual, the gates are still opening in time for this weekend’s ‘49er Days in Winthrop.

Using the seasonal stretch

Opening this stretch of highway provides travelers another route across the Cascades, improves access to North Cascades National Park and reconnects US Bike Route 10 to eastern and western Washington.

This highway will remain open until avalanche danger forces its closure for the winter months, usually around Thanksgiving.

Hyperlinks within the release:

###

There you go. So far as we know, nothing has changed regarding bikes. If they sneak under the gates at 6 a.m. and we don't notice, then I guess they've got 4 hours to ride 37 miles without cars. Oh, and so far as cinnamon rolls are concerned for Diablo gaters - there are some folks working on providing them as a tribute to Tootsie.

Jeff & Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
As I'm now retired I will be going over the the first nice day, well that is if the wife will let me off my leash!

I have never wanted to go the first day, to much hoop & holler. I would have like to have gotten a donut from Tootsie Clark but I think being served breakfast by her in decades past I'd rather think of that and ride the pass on a less public day.

Four to six weeks of clearing sounds like an early May opening! Sounds like good progress so far...of course, they haven't gotten to the deep snow yet.

Looking forward to the first ride over the top!

--G

Pan, bikes go to the head of the line on the first day so you get to play without traffic. It's kind nice. I, for one, will miss Tootsie and her treats.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said it Pie man, the best part of opening day is no traffic because we start at the front of the line. We have the road all to ourselves. The coffee and cinnamon roll is just enough to get us to Winthrop for lunch.

So sad, Tootsie will be missed. Wonder who gets to open the gate this year?

FYI,traveling to the N. Cascades from Arlington east on 530 from the south fork stillaguamish river bridge to the Lk Cavanaugh road near Oso (11miles), repaving finishing by late summer. Daytime hours and single lane closures, ground down, patched, sealed, and resurfaced. Pilot cars. I do not know if leaving obscenely early can beat these folks. Might take 5 ( or 9 ) to Sedro Wooley and the South Skagit hwy East. to Concrete and 20.

Always a good time. When I lived up there I would ride the loop a few times every year. On a really good day I could get off the island on the early boat and catch the three o'clock bacy to Fridayville.

I'll go with a maybe Gordon, hoping to call for building inspection for OK to cover tomorrow if I don't get it Thursday I won't be riding Friday.

Might have to check it out. I'm leaving here Thursday headed for the islands for a couple days and haven't been on hwy 20 for a few years.

Four letter word beginning with "W" still in the way...
weirdsmiley.gif

--G

FYI In addition to 530 being screwed up I took 9 N. to Sedro Wooley the other day and got stalled for half an hour N. of big lake for road work. Issue is in doubt but if I do get out it will be 5 North to cook road and E. to 20.

Had my right knee replace the end of February so I am 10 weeks post-surgery and not ready for longer rides yet. Wish I was but there is a whole summer ahead to enjoy this ride.