Preferred LED color for Instruments (Voltmeter)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I was looking at some voltmeters to mount on the bike and they seem to come in a variety of LED colors. I'm interested in one, in particular, that is a combination voltmeter and waterproof USB outlet for very cheap. (Not much lost if it isn't accurate.) This comes with green, red or blue LED. Some nice features on this including a switch to turn it off, some sort of GPS locator, dual USB outlets and waterproof - all for $10!! For that price, I might get a spare!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-12V-Motorcycle-Dual-Port-USB-Charger-LED-Voltmeter-GPS-Positioning/253327739379?hash=item3afb8289f3:m:mRgUxyzhm5gMz_FLkmc34hA

s-l1600.jpg

With respect to LED color, which is the best tradeoff between daytime visibility and non-distracting at night. I have absolutely no idea of the light intensity for these units although I suppose some neutral density film could be used over the display if too bright - can't do anything if totally washed out in daylight. Red is less likely to cause night-blindness but I am not sure if it is as readable in daylight.

Any ideas out there? Has anyone tried this particular unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ross:

I own one of those. I bought the red led. It works but has some anomalies.

First, when you turns it on, it reads like 17 volts and then re-sets to something more reasonable. Accuracy seems fine.

Two, within three weeks time one of the led segments died. You can still read it, it's just that you have to figure out whether it's reporting 12.x volts or 13.x volts. I haven't tried the usb outlets, but they look good and there is a blue light behind them which I think is cool. Note that the unit is switched on the back-side and the usb outlets only function when the meter is powered on.

I think it's a good inexpensive solution. If you want to spend a little more, there are dedicated waterproof led volt meters for like $18 from CycleMax in Ohio. I've bought meters from them for several bikes, they've worked flawlessly every time.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Baz

Very helpful! Cheap is always good but I liked the USB outlets on a waterproof meter as well - haven't seen that combination elsewhere. Also nice to have a direct battery hookup but a switch to eliminate parasitic draw. Hookup to a switched circuit on a bike could show a voltage drop. For the price, I suppose you can't expect especially high quality. Maybe ordering a spare is a good idea.

Any similar units out there that might be higher quality? I currently use a cig. lighter adapter USB outlet but this is more easily accessible.

If I understand the original post (?) The LED color for an instrument?

There was a very good discussion on Preferred LED lights on this discussion: LED Replacement Bulbs for Gen 1 Speedo Assembly - Parts and Accessories - FJRForum

The different colors and which color was actually the best for eyes at night… was discussed and I found it very informative.

Then I chose Blue for my dash just because I had an '05.
rolleyes.gif

If I understand the original post (?) The LED color for an instrument?
There was a very good discussion on Preferred LED lights on this discussion: LED Replacement Bulbs for Gen 1 Speedo Assembly - Parts and Accessories - FJRForum

The different colors and which color was actually the best for eyes at night… was discussed and I found it very informative.

Then I chose Blue for my dash just because I had an '05.
rolleyes.gif
Always a tradeoff between daylight readability and being too bright or distracting at night. The daylight readability is important for the LED digital display but isn't a factor with illumination of the instrument panel - not needed in sunlight! As long as the red is bright enough to be clearly seen in bright daylight, I am guessing it is preferred for night. If it is too bright, I either use a piece of smoked plastic over it to dim it or ditch it and try something else.

Red is the best - less distracting, less impact on vision in the dark - but, as stated, might be hard to see in daylight. A small piece of plastic or similar as a sun shield could solve that problem..

Red is the best - less distracting, less impact on vision in the dark - but, as stated, might be hard to see in daylight. A small piece of plastic or similar as a sun shield could solve that problem..
On the other hand, it isn't something that has to be monitored continuously. Also, need is more likely at night when auxiliary lighting is being used and more likely to be running heated gear too. I thought that the red might be better - to protect night vision if nothing else. I appreciate the feedback.

What did you end up doing? How did it work out?
Can you please post pics?

TIA
I thought I had ordered the (red LED) one in my original post but when it didn't arrive, I checked and found that I somehow forgot. Anyway, it is now ordered (last week) but I don't expect it for a month or so. Given the price, I won't be devastated if it doesn't work out. Will post to this thread when it arrives.

I installed blue LED gauges for my battery and temperature. They work great at night or in a garage but if it's sunny outside I can forget about using them at all... completely useless. I would def go with red if I were to do it over again.

I have a red LED Datel voltmeter on my Vstrom and also on my old 05 FJR. Never had any problem reading them in daylight, but those might be brighter LEDs than the ones you are referencing here.

I have a red LED voltmeter. In sunlight, I can see it about 90% of the time. I don't think any other color would be any better.