• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Second gen. transmission

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJ3R

Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a 2006 fjr with 118000 k for $2000 CAN. I'm thrilled but... It's got a problem with second gear: it slips when you drive it hard. Otherwise, the bike rides like a charm, all other gears can be riden as hard as I want.

Anybody out there with a second Gen JFR transmission in good condition laying around and willing to part with it?

I plan to ride the bike this summer and do the job myself in the fall. The dealer wants $2000 to fix the problem (which is used gear dogs for second and probably a bent fork), that's crazy expensive! No wonder the guy sold it to my at that price... just wished he had told me. But at that price, I figured that if anything was wrong, I could fix it. And here we go...

Ride safe.

I doubt anybody has a transmissions lying around but even if you found one, you could be exchanging one set of troubles for another. I would suggest getting yours apart and verifying what parts need replacement and putting it right. A few 2nd gear fixes have been documented on this forum and there are people around to help if you run into problems.

Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been down this road before. Gen 1 Early Gen 2 1-5 gears the same. Gen 2 final output gear ,driven gear has a different amount of teeth to middle gear. 08 -09 added more gear dogs 2-3 .

Not a 100% sure its been a few years. Search this site answer is here.

Hey Ross, I'm asking bcs I read of a guy with the same problem who found used parts in good condition and fixed his fjr at very low cost. You just never know what you can find out there. But my research is pretty much done and my plan is to dismantle it in the fall and replace the defective parts. I'll take some pictures and document the whole operation. The forum was quite helpful, which was the main reason I joined.

And, I guess I'll update my profile: I'm from Three Rivers (3R) Quebec.

Cheers

Did almost 9000 km this season with the handicapped 2nd gear. Bike runs wonderfully well. Planning to open it up in November and fix it. Not sure I will have time to detail the operation, found another thread that did that in details (Jolene, Jolene, Jolene).