Buying Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makkat

Reaction score
I know, another buying advice post......

Had a 2003 that had just about every imaginable farkle on it and then some but the boss never did enjoy the ride so I sold it and got a Voyager and an FZ-6 for commuting. Sold the FZ as I only put 800 miles on it in a year, slowly at 10 miles per day, since I only commute on it. Wanting to go back to an FJR for commuting and solo riding because I loved my 2003.

Local dealer employee that I know has a basically stock 2003 with 70k miles for around $2k, being he is a shop employee I am not worried about the higher
rolleyes.gif
mileage or maintenance but rather the availability of farkles. My 2003 had everything but I would need to do some updating to this one (cruise, shelf if they even exist any more). Are things still easy to find for the Gen I or should spend a little more and get a Gen II?

Are things still easy to find for the Gen I or should spend a little more and get a Gen II?
I didn't personally think it was worth it to go from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2. However, a Gen 3 2014+ was well worth it IMO.

But you don't specify your requirements and what price point breaks it for you and they myriad other things that turn these threads into NEPRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for a newer FJR. If price is a consideration, find a '08 or newer and enjoy the incremental improvements until the big change was made in '13.

For GEN I farkles without spending a ton of $$$, I'd cruise the for sale section and pick up goodies that folks are stripping off their GEN I's when they upgrade.

--G

Are things still easy to find for the Gen I or should spend a little more and get a Gen II?
I didn't personally think it was worth it to go from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2. However, a Gen 3 2014+ was well worth it IMO.

But you don't specify your requirements and what price point breaks it for you and they myriad other things that turn these threads into NEPRT.
Now you are just wanting to make sense, sorry it was a hurried post.

It is a second bike so the cheaper the better, I don't really want to spend more than 5k so that limits it to mid Gen II / 2010. I know the history of the 2003 but I see fewer farkle options for the Gen I's on the forums and such compared to the gen II (seats, shields, exhaust). I guess I am trying to have you guys talk me out of the 2003 and get something 2006-2009. I did find a 2009 AE with 30k miles for less than $5k with a top case but it is a couple states away.

II guess I am trying to have you guys talk me out of the 2003 and get something 2006-2009.

You have to do that yourself. As escapfjrtist pointed out...cruise the forum. The questions you ask have been discussed many, Many, MANY times.

I think if you up your budget by $1,500.00, or even $1,000.00, you can pick up a very gently used Gen 2 ('07, '08, or even newer). Unlike Iggy, I think there's merit to reaching for the Gen 2. ABS (some Gen 1 bikes have ABS, but not most), Heated grips, gear indicator, much better heat management, better cam chain tensioner, just to name a few.

Riding season is basically here, so prices are going to hold and lean toward the seller for a while.

I know, another buying advice post......
Had a 2003 that had just about every imaginable farkle on it and then some but the boss never did enjoy the ride so I sold it and got a Voyager and an FZ-6 for commuting. Sold the FZ as I only put 800 miles on it in a year, slowly at 10 miles per day, since I only commute on it. Wanting to go back to an FJR for commuting and solo riding because I loved my 2003.

Local dealer employee that I know has a basically stock 2003 with 70k miles for around $2k, being he is a shop employee I am not worried about the higher
rolleyes.gif
mileage or maintenance but rather the availability of farkles. My 2003 had everything but I would need to do some updating to this one (cruise, shelf if they even exist any more). Are things still easy to find for the Gen I or should spend a little more and get a Gen II?
If you live in a colder climate, and don't care about ABS, the 03 is the fastest FJR {less weight and lower overall gearing, and the best handling FJR {in the twisties, shorter wheelbase}, and wheelies better than the Gen. 2 +3. I sold my 03 with 80,000 miles to a young guy and the last I saw him, the front wheel was in the air for a couple of gears already, and he was yippeeing.

I see Gen. 1 stuff on Ebay for almost nothing, and no one bids on it, whereas the Gen. 2 stuff is snapped up in a New York Minute. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point ^^^^ regarding used GEN I farkles. Smaller market, less buyers so the goodies bring less $$$. Nothing wrong with a good clean GEN I, it'll run for many miles!

--G

I've never had a Gen 1, can't help there. Just wanted to say, "Long time, no see. Welcome back."
Thanks

I think it is between the 2003 and a 2006, the 2006 is getting the edge since it already has cruise installed and well, it is blue.

I've never had a Gen 1, can't help there. Just wanted to say, "Long time, no see. Welcome back."
Thanks

I think it is between the 2003 and a 2006, the 2006 is getting the edge since it already has cruise installed and well, it is blue.
Go for the cruise! Every time I ride the long straights-n-flats of the coast I wish I had a cruise control.

Latest posts