Heated gloves ,would you buy your's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
Well another wonderful weekend here in Cleveland ,It's been like this since Feb....30.. to ...40 degrees, Rain ,possible standing water Snow,. Gust up close to 40 mph ,Feels colder than it is....I GIVE IN ....Need to buy some heated gear . Need advice on what heated gloves to buy ? Would you buy yours again? or are you looking at something else? Never had a pair before but I'am ready .I don't know how many riding season, we all have left ? But these got to help !

do you have hand guards or muffs on the bike? That's a good place to start. Even with a heated glove, the wind will still make things cold. Blocking the wind makes a big difference.

Personally, I haven't gotten to the point of wanting/needing heated gloves. I have everything else heated (pants, jacket, socks), and I have heated hand grips and the hand guards and muffs that I use.

But I do like all my other Warm&Safe Heated Gear. So that's probably what I would recommend. And I would go with a heated liner vs a heated glove.

Need advice on what heated gloves to buy ? Would you buy yours again? or are you looking at something else?
I wouldn't buy gloves...at least as a first item. I would buy an electric jacket first at the very least...a Warm-N-Safe. While I have a pair of electric gloves I rarely use them. If it's cold enough to need heat...put the heat into your core where it's used most efficiently.

I'd then go to hand guards even before gloves as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heated jacket first (not a vest). Keeping the body core temperature warm is key. Before the heated gloves, I would do the heated grips - probably aftermarket because Yamaha is VERY proud of the OEM ones!!

I have a set of First Gear leather heated gloves and they work well but I very rarely use them. They are fairly bulky (but very warm). Another thing that makes a big difference is to wear a scarf or neck warmer. Keeps cool air from infiltrating the jacket or bottom of helmet.

I agree that a heated jacket should be the first step and that Warm and Safe is a great choice. But, I also think heated gloves are smart buy. I have a set of Gerbing gloves that I love. They are leather and quite nimble. For the past 20+ years I lived in Fairbanks, AK or here in tropical Montana, so I have done a fair amount of cold weather riding. Even with hand guards and heated grips my fingers would get cold, but not with the heated gloves. My Gerbing gloves are 6-8 years old and Gerbing has changed ownership a couple of times since then; they are not the company they once were. The only thing that works better than heated gloves are HippoHands, but they present their own issues.

The big advantage with heated gloves vs heated grips (and even heavy regular gloves) is the fact that thy keep the WHOLE HAND warm. When the temperatures drop below 40 ° for an extended period of time, hands get progressively colder (especially when wet). Heat on the surfaces not exposed to the grip heaters is a positive difference. I just never cared for the bulk of the gloves that I have (unless it is really cold!).

The WORST part with the heated gloves is dealing with toll booths! If you don't have a toll transponder, it is easier to travel with a stack of loose dollar bills in an easily accessible place (i.e. tank bag) and let them keep the change! Getting the gloves on and off isn't quick - especially if hands are even slightly damp!

I've had a pair of Gerbing heated gloves for more than 20 years now and still feel they've been one of my best investments in motorcycle gear. I had one bike with heated grips and wasn't all that impressed. They'd be fine for folks in moderate but I've ridden to work in single degree temps more than a few times and appreciate the heat being on the back side of my hands where the wind hits them. I also like the fact that with my jacket liner I can easily use the gear on more than one bike by just wiring the other bikes up with a lead to plug into.

Definitely get the jacket liner first though. I didn't and with just the gloves to start it involves a long Y-shaped cord to plug everything together and that quickly becomes a real PITA. My situation when I bought the gloves was such that I just couldn't wait and needed them desperately as we had one car in the shop from a deer strike and I was forced to ride in winter.

I bought an old WIDDER set of vest and gloves for 90.00 US when I moved here to South Carolina from Florida three years ago.

I love the simple setup, they are both still working fine.

Two pairs of socks and a couple of pair of long johns, and I can ride for an hour or so in the low 30's.

The Widder gloves do NOT make your hands toasty warm. I actually thought they were not working when I first got them, till I turned them to OFF and my fingers started hurting. LOL

Stopping the wind is key, that and heated glove and jacket liners do the trick. Mine are Warm and Safe brand with the 2 channel Heat-troller. Heated gloves have always been bulky and my hands tend to sweat, then it becomes a battle with wind chill.

My $.02.

I have the Gerbings heated jacket liner and heated gloves. The gloves plug into the end of the jacket liner sleeves. The jacket is wired that way. You only make one connection to the bike from the jacket liner. I also have a dual thermostat controller. One knob adjusts the temperature of the liner and the other knob controls the heat to the gloves. One thing I've learned about motorcycle heated gear is many people tend to have the heat turned up too high. If you feel heat when you're riding, most likely the temperature of your heated gear is too high. When adjusted properly, you should just feel comfortable and not cold.

I've had this setup for 15 years and it has been a fine investment. The jacket liner is so warm that at times I never turn it on. Great products.

I have these Warm and Safe Ultimate touring gloves which I like and use quite a bit, and would buy again.

warm-safe-ultimate-sport-men-s-heated-gloves-4.gif

I have these Powerlet Rapidfire gloves liners which are tight under good fitting gloves so I don't really use them, but they pack up small for when you don't want to carry the larger gloves.

PHG-410-L_p_646_webl.jpg

BTW I also have V-Strom hand guards, heated grips, electric heated jacket, and electric insoles.

I'm going to take the other side of the common recommendation.

I bought a heated jacket liner and heated pants, and I have not used them since I got my heated gloves. The only other thing that I feel would help me will be heated boot liners.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

I have First Gear glove liners that can easily slide in and out of my slightly large Olympic gloves. They can feel a bit bulky but on Long rides they keep the appendages toasty.

how cold do plan on riding ? I like the heated vest as first choice in gear because they pack up small and you can keep on the bike at all times. I have a venture heat vest and at 35f. I only run it on medium. For gloves I found these cheap Chinese heated gloves on ebay for 7 dollars. I thought they would never work but I have used them well over a dozen times all at temps below 40f.https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-Motorcycle-Outdoor-Hunting-Electric-Warm-Winter-Warmer-Heated-Gloves/132385249334?hash=item1ed2c69836:m:mZJeA5pd17XZRBPzl3VzjTw

As you might imagine, living in New Hampshire I get a lot of opportunities to ride in really cold weather. Some of the replies are amusing. Heated gear in the Carolinas? :lol: But some replies are spot on.

#1 - get a heated jacket liner and heat controller. I suggest Warmn Safe because they are fantastically effective, and once you start down the path of one manufacturers gear, youll probably want .to stick with that manufacturer. Warmn Safe, also sold as First Gear, is the best overall setup available. Plus you get a lifetime warranty on the heated clothing.

Get the 90 watt liner. You should never need more, an$ most likely will always have it dialed back by half or more most of the time. But, when it gets to below freezing and you add the wind chill of riding at highway speeds for hours at a time, you will want the added overhead capacity the 90 watts supplies.

Wear a thin, tight to the body, insulative and wind blocking layer over the heated liner and under your riding jacket. Keeping the heated gear snug is key to it being effective. Try it both ways, with and without the compressive layer, and youll see what I mean.

Since youre already buying a heatroller, buy a dual controller. Because your second purchase is for heated gloves. Yes, wind blocking helps. Heated grips too. But nothing is as good at maintaining your manual dexterity as full heated gloves when the temps get really low. And that is the point of heated gloves, maintaining dexterity. Comfort is a secondary consideration. Crashing because you cant operate the controls is a much bigger deal. From a safety standpoint the gloves may actually be more important, but without the jacket liner I wouldnt be out riding when its that frigid to begin with... ;)