Ivan's ECU Flash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that were curious;
Ivan, a well known ECU guru, now re-flashes FJR ECU's.

https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300.htm

I read through it , and he can remove the cruise control limit.
I would highly recommend this. I've had Ivan flash two ECUs for me, my dearly departed FZ1 and my current Ninja 1000. His work has been outstanding in my opinion. He spends a lot of time on cleaning up any off-idle throttle response issues as well as doing cool things like changing when the cooling fans come on, opening up the rev limit if its available, etc...

Interesting. His website says "Coming soon" for Gen I and II. I would like to see real world results for all three Gens.

Premium fuel required!!

Huh...He has an FJR and knows enough about it to flash the ECU, but he runs 89 octane fuel. Makes me wonder if the reflash requires that or if he doesn't know any better. Not a huge deal, but I wonder if the fuel would really make any difference.

Huh...He has an FJR and knows enough about it to flash the ECU, but he runs 89 octane fuel. Makes me wonder if the reflash requires that or if he doesn't know any better. Not a huge deal, but I wonder if the fuel would really make any difference.
Looking at ford edges and the little asterisk by the hp ratings indicates these were achieved using 93 octane fuel. Duplicity perhaps?

Stand by all y'all...my '15s ECU will be back Tuesday and if work cooperates, I'll post my initial impressions Tuesday night or Wednesday.

The changes Ivan has made sound good. And yes HRZ, he was aware the FJR takes (took) regular fuel. With his fuel/timing map changes, 89 or better is needed especially below approximately 3000 rpm while under load. The third mode he unlocked should be terrific. Basically a linear 1:1 throttle ratio with none of the trickery that makes "sport" mode so (sometimes overly) responsive.

--G

Do I smell a Group Buy coming soon? Ivan has a COG open house today in NY and is selling Flashes for 1/2 price if you ride in.

I would be most interested in the winter months.

After reflecting on this and reading all of the details, I believe I'm going to do this.

I'm not after HP gains, but I remember how the Power Commander and Wally smoothness map made a huge difference in my '03 as far as throttle smoothness and response.

I've never been impressed with the '14's throttle, especially hard to be smooth on partial throttle transitions.

93 octane is a small price to pay.

I will be interested to see what George thinks. What is the turn around time?

Turn around time is basically shipping. My ECU went out Wednesday, arrived in NY Friday and went back out same day. FedEx tracking claims I'll have the package back Tuesday before 8PM...

FJR is ready to go back together. All I need is the brain-box!

--G

This is going to be interesting for the Gen III's but could be really exciting for Gen II if it can actually do all the things that are claimed. Not looking for more power but wouldn't turn it down as long as it didn't cost in terms of fuel use or driveability. Don't want to go to premium fuel unless there is a huge upside.

At the price, it is a no-brainer for the 2013 with the limited CC. Also for the early Gen II with fueling issues. I'll be very interested to see what he can do with the Gen II ECU for later models as well (I'm getting a 2011). It doesn't look like there is anything that can actually hurt the engine other than over-revving if the limiter is removed or changed. If you hate the result, I guess you could always switch back to stock. I've spent $350 on stuff that hasn't worked out before!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll fess up first...my flashed ECU came yesterday and I held out on y'all to get another ride in today. Total mileage so far is ~100. With work and the time available, my (two) rides have been limited to my favorite twisty back roads so there hasn't been much opportunity for higher speeds.

Hard for me to put the description in words. First, rest assured we didn't lose any of that wonderful low end torque.The flash simply builds on that and continues to pull harder all the way up. My '15 has GYTR (Yoshimura) slip-ons. Wife says the bike has a different (throatier) sound now. I agree. Engine *feels* more willing, alive, playful...ready to rev. Riding it feels like a race-horse straining at the reins, poised and ready to run.

Driveability is improved. The off-on throttle transition is much better than stock. I purposely slowed down more than normal for a couple 2nd gear corners, the transition back to throttle was flawless. My '15 has never been particularly smooth, always had a tingle through the bars. Removing the HVMP bar ends and adding VStrom hand guards helped dampen things down. Bar vibration / tingle *seems* to be reduced even further. I would say it's now on par with a C14 for smoothness.

The third drive mode ROCKS. Linear throttle, not as stupid aggressive as Sport but allows a smooth controlled rush as the revs build. It's going to be my new favorite! Touring and Sport modes keep the same throttle response but with better feel due to the new fuel/ignition maps. Overall the engine is smooth and responsive regardless of which drive mode is running. Cruise control works, no feel for fuel mileage yet with the short rides.

So in a nutshell that's it. Ivan's FJR flash is here and it works. Post up any questions and I'll answer best I can!

--G