Rostra cruise control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierreroyoldtimer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I just installed a Rostra cruise control on my 2005 FJR. The control unit passes the diagnosis test as well as the control switch. (I am using an open circuit control switch, wich is a "Rostra replacement control switch", as no switch was supllied with the kit I bought.)

My problem is : when I select the set/coast button, the only thing it does is trying to go to full throttle every the time. Touching the brake lever or pedal disengages it instantly.

My DIP switches setting is as follow : 1-2 off, 3-4-5-6 on, 7-8-9 off, 10 on, 11-12 off

Anybody can help me with this issues?

PS : Rostra doesn't give any support for installation on motorcycle. They hung up on me...

Are you testing it on the centerstand?

Try riding the bike and see if it works. Wear all your gear and be ready to hit the kill switch if you need to.

I thought the Rostra would work on the centerstand but maybe not.

Be careful.

No no, not on the center stand, real driving. In fifth gear anywhere between 80 and 110 km/h. Touching either the front or rear brake disengages it instantly.

Thank you for answering.

Pierre

No no, not on the center stand, real driving. In fifth gear anywhere between 80 and 110 km/h. Touching either the front or rear brake disengages it instantly.

Thank you for answering.

Pierre

I use the same settings with no problem. I would look somewhere else.. Make sure the wires are hooked up properly,check that they are connected to the right source. I disconnected and grounded the tach wire but only to prevent drop outs...also use a relay on the brake wire for the same reason...this does not seem to be your problem. Perhaps the wires to the control switch are wrong ? Proper connections are found [somewhere] on the forum..

Rosta will not help as they don't want to be responsible for use of their CC on bikes..

I'd check the speed sensor wire. It sounds like you're either getting a bad feed or no feed at all. Make sure it's getting the right number of impulses per mile for whatever you are using for the speed sensor.

+1 on the speed sensor, although with no signal it shouldn't engage at all.

It could also be that your sensitivity is too high, causing it to take off. Did you wait to see if it stays WFO or if it cuts throttle eventually (scary test, I know).

Here is what I have for my settings:

2015-01-17%2023.10.13-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
did u attach the cc cable directly to the throttle tang or use the POS beaded chain ? 1/8 inch of slack is needed in the lost motion cable..

On my gen 1, I also used a signal thingamabobbie that i believe cuts the signal by 4. (Or maybe it multiplies by 4) in order to get the right pulse rate per mile for my setup.

Rumor has you don't need it, but it works in my situation. I wish i could remember by exact set up.

The Rostra doesn't need the beaded chain due to it being slightly different than the audiovox which does need the chain.

Ps- if you get really stuck, I suppose I could look at the bike and see what goes where. PM me if you get really stuck.

IIRC, you need the signal divider on 2008+ bikes because the ABS signal is much higher frequency than the earlier bikes.

OP - does your bike have ABS? If not, where are you getting your speed signal from?

I connected the gray wire from the CC module 8 wires plug, to the white/yellow wire right beside the bike ECU plug. I stripped the insulation and soldered the gray wire to the white/yellow wire.

It passes the diagostic test all right.

This morning I disconnected the dark blue wire from the coil gray wire and I grounded it like another folks had done. I didn't try it yet...

I grounded it on my install, too.

Here is the section:

On a vehicle with a manual transmission, the TACH wire connection is not
required only when CLUTCH DISENGAGEMENT SWITCH (Kit# 250-4206) has been
installed; this will take into account the TACH over-rev safety feature. The TACH
wire should be grounded when using a clutch disengagement switch to ensure
that the wire does not introduce “trashy” signals into the system

With my recent experimentations, I tend to believe I have a speed signal problem. Do you know where the folks with a Gen 1 FJR get their speed signal. I connected the Rostra cc grey wire to the bike's ECU white/yellow wire.

https://r.ebay.com/EPaPsl

You would install it between the wire to the CC and the sensor at the ECU. I really don't think you should need a signal divider for a Gen 1. Usually, if the frequency is too high, the CC either won't work or will only work at low speed.

Did you rotate the wheel and count the flashes on the diagnostic?