Phone Phiasco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exo55c

Reaction score
During a recent week long ride thru the Canyonlands of southern Utah my phone was the unwilling crash dummy for a test of my Otterbox case. Cruising along at highway speeds in excess of 80 mph on a barren straight stretch of Hwy 21 between Ely, NV and Milford, UT I felt something brush past my arm. At first I thought it was a bird strike or something then suddenly realized if it was a bird it took my phone with it. My RAM X-grip holder connected to my handle bars was empty!
fool.gif

I slowed down, did a U and went back to look for survivors thinking all the while about what I was gonna do without my phone. So I find the rubber Obox case, the inner plastic and clear screen cover all over the asphalt....but no phone. After intensifying the search I finally found it on the side of the road. To my amazement, the screen had only one thin vertical crack but the back cover looked like a jigsaw puzzle. The best part is it was fully functional! Chalk it up to Otterbox with the save.
punk.gif

In summary, it looks like I need to find a mounting point for the grip further behind the windscreen and not on the handle bar near the MC. Or replace the X-grip entirely. Suggestions?

Hwy 21 is a great road. Good choice. I have a Ram - X grip as well. Where you using the rubber safety harness?

IB00523681.jpg

You're the second guy in a week to lose his phone off of an X-Mount. I have not seen any phone mounting option where someone hasn't lost their phone. Road bikes and dirt bikes alike. If you're mounting your phone on your bars, it's not a matter of if, but when it will eventually fly off.

My phone goes on my small Cortech tank bag or in my pocket. It's way too important, too expensive, too much of a PITA to replace, and has way too much info to risk losing off of my bike. Obviously, my opinion: Carry your phone a different way.

On another note, you are also the second guy in a week that I know has lost his phone off of a vehicle, while the phone was in an Otter Box. Both of you reported a destroyed Box, but a functioning phone. My other friend's phone faired better, but it fell off his roof at 40mph and got tagged by a following car. His only had a small scratch on the phone's case.

I never posted the story but I also had my phone fly out of a RAM X-grip mount back in February. Bad thing was I'd only gotten the new phone about a month before. Good thing was the new phone is a Kyocera Dura Force Pro and it survived without a mark on it. Came off and interstate exit ramp about 25-30 mph and the rough PA roads bounced it right out of the mount. I replaced the RAM with a Slip & Grip mount and it's rock solid Little more expensive than the RAM but seems better built and phone specific to the point of having to indicate what case you're using.

... Or replace the X-grip entirely. Suggestions?
Yes, the RAM phone cradle holds mePhone 6 quite securely on my RT. Part number RAM-HOL-AP18U in my case--there are different cradles fitted to each phone model.

... Or replace the X-grip entirely. Suggestions?
Yes, the RAM phone cradle holds mePhone 6 quite securely on my RT. Part number RAM-HOL-AP18U in my case--there are different cradles fitted to each phone model.
That's somewhat similar to what I built. My phone has a slim case with rubberized edge. Makes the phone more grippy in my hand and in the holder on the bike. The phone slips in easily, but is very secure. It's already been coast to coast without issue. postimg.cc/image/9bvyoujcb/ It's just a tray sized for the phone, with one edge that pivots and is tightly spring-loaded. Behind the tape is a wireless charger. The spring loaded edge has to be pulled back to insert or remove the phone.

When a GPS tried to escape from me near Las Vegas, I saved it only because of the power cord. After that, no matter the mounting method, I create some kind of tether.

I also have a great otterbox experience - the box took a beating but the phone was perfect. My phone slid off the back of my bike - right where I left it while I was working on the bike and then jumped on to take a quick test ride. it might have been a quick test ride but it took a little longer to locate the phone. These things bounce and tumble a lot further than you expect.

Joe

I just bought a set up from Quad-Lock for my Samsung Galaxy. This is to replace the X grip that I had been using. The Quad lock feels very secure and requires only one hand for installing or removing the phone. I made an adapter from some unused RAM mount components so I could mount the Quad-Lock onto my existing Ram Mount set up. (They don't have anything to mount directly onto FJR handlebars that I could see.)

It's pricey stuff but seems well thought out and well made.

This is a recent purchase/installation. I'll report back after I have a some considerable road miles on it.

I recently mounted a Ram - X grip on my FJR's brake reservoir. On bumpy roads there a a whole lotta shaking going on. On a different thread somewhere one person commented his shiny new phone with a very nice camera failed not once but twice before he determined the vibration while mounted to his ride was the culprit.

As my phone camera is junk on my 3.5 year old 'Droid phone I have an excuse wait before buying a new phone. When I get one the Ram X will be for sale.

The Xgrip, even with tether, is a joke. And thats for someone who used both. Too fragile, too prone to allowing you to not fully seat the phone. Too prone to the rubber feet waking off the aluminum arms. If you ride a lot, there is no substitute for slipgrip. One hand on or off, solid as a seatbelt. You owe it to yourself to try one if you are an avid rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others have said if you use an X-Grip it is a matter of when, not if!

Just like dropping the FJR in a parking lot.

After catching my Samsung several times I went to one of these Quick Grip mounts. No problem since.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3U

RAM QUICK GRIP

The RAM High Strength Plastic Side Clamping Cradle is designed to hold a large amount of different kinds of electronic devices, especially PDAs.

CRADLE CLAMPING DIMENSIONS:

Height Range: 4.75" - 5.25"

Width Range: 2.25" - 3.25"

The cradle does not ship with a RAM ball. To add a 1" ball to this cradle you need to purchase either the Aluminum Diamond Plate with 1" ball (RAM-B-238) or Plastic Diamond Plate with 1" ball (RAP-B-238).

did the xmount have the additional tether piece that ataches to the corner of the phone ??

i always have mine in my pocket, incase my bike and i head in different directions