• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater - Erica's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearwaters are expensive, but they're great. I've had mine since they started selling them and I still love them. They hold up, unmatched customer support, very clear installation instructions and all needed parts supplied when shipped (I understand--I went to them for my installations since they're local).

In my opinion, and my recommendation, is you should consider going for the Kristas instead of the Ericas. They cost less and provide all the light almost anyone would ever dream of wanting. The Ericas will get you flashed if you run them at light with other traffic, even at the lowest brightness level. Maybe if you do a lot of 1,500-mile days and ride all night in the desert like some of the maniacs around here you need more light than the Kristas give, maybe, but for everybody else . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought clearwaters. I immediately felt terrible at spending that much money. Just terrible. Then I put them on. It is just a complete and total difference. They are brighter and provide more nighttime visibility (I can see farther, see wider), and saved me from I don't know how many deer strikes between 2am and 6am 1 April (TOH) alone. I would never ever have seen them with my stock headlight.

But here is what I did not anticipate- even with the lights on the lowest setting, the visual signature of the bike is about threefold larger, day and night. The adjustable knob works great without looking, even with the thickest of gloves, to dial up or down the brightness (which can be used in a number of ways to interact with traffic), and the behavior change from other traffic, just from the lights on their lowest setting, is notable. Didn't expect that.

I thought I'd only use them when doing distance riding, which, by necessity, usually involves early morning or late night riding. That's just the half of what they do. Some of it is sheer brightness, some of it is having that brightness three wide (clearwaters mounted on Clearwater mounts on either side of the stock headlights) up high where cars can see it.

I have the Kristas mounted on the mirror mounts supplied by Clearwater. Bought them on here during a group buy a few years back. One of the best investments I've made in farkles for the bike. We spoke at SEOR, I also have a pair of Denali D2D's on my front fender bolts. The Clearwaters throw more usable light down the road than anything else on the market IMO. A coworker bought some of the cheaper knock off variety lights and while they do give more light and he is more noticeable the light pattern from his lights is more of a "white blob" of light without any real cut off or definition.He gets flashed by oncoming cars way more than I do and has told me he prefers following me at night because my lights give us more light where we need it. I'm not sure for my own use if the Erica's would be worth the extra coin or not. YMMV.

Ok Tyler your first ,,,Yes,I did find that site: Thank You
angel.gif
,,,Just looking to save a little coin on a good used set . Damn these things are Expensive...Just think of how many of those things we could put all over your the Spyder ??? You could look like a UFO !!! ha ha ha ...

Mike,, ,,Never had leds before ,,Thanks for the real would advice ..Have not been doing a lot of that dessert riding around here lately ,, (Cleveland OH) ,,And, not of lot of those 1000 mile a day rides either .So I'am opting for the" real world option' .sounds like you, and BkerChuck are on the same page .with the Krista's

Hey Bill,,, which ones did you get ?

..Maybe I should be looking for the Kristas instead of the Ericas ... What do you think ?

I have a set of Clearwater Ericas and a set of fork-mounted Glendas with amber lenses. They came on a used bike I just purchased. They are fantastic lights but I probably would have found a more economical solution such as LEDRider if I had to go out and buy them.

https://ledrider.com/

There is a huge thread about them on the forum and at one time (not sure if still) there was a forum discount.

Do a search if you don't want to spend that much but want to see if high intensity aftermarket LEDs are for you or not.

Last edited by a moderator: