Side Case Rubber Mounts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
The side bags for my 2018 have just arrived. The bike currently has no Rubber Mounts that the bag slips

over.

What keeps these from falling off when the bags are not in use.

On my '03 they were securely glued (??) to the metal bracket that bolted on.

Canadian FJR

The rubber things are a press fit over the little arms that stick out from the frame. The arms have a lip to keep the rubber bumpers in place. Did the dealer forget to install them? They are not installed when the bike comes out of the crate. And they do have an orientation, there is one right way and one wrong way they can be installed.

-Steve

Thanks Steve,

I've had the bike since March but the bags just arrived yesterday. I am hoping that the stoppers are with the bags, will confirm on Friday.

Canadian FJR

I did the Toecutter pin mod....when I take the bags off I slip the pins back in....otherwise they will find a way to get off...

You can read the instruction book here.

I can't remember for sure if the rubber thingies were with the bags, but I think they were. Note they should be glued on using superglue, also that they are chamfered, there is a right way and a wrong way. The instructions show some brackets, these were only needed with early bikes.

You should get three lock cylinders with the bike, two for the bags, one for a top-box, note the use of Loctite on the screws' threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my dealership skipped the superglue as I’ve noticed that mine are loose. I never ride the bike without the bags but guess I should glue the rubber things on there now anyway.

I have a new set of bags that were in the box. The rubber pieces were in the bottom of one of the boxes. 2 pieces in a Yamaha parts bag, in one of the boxes. 5VS-W9753-00 is on the bag. It's marked as 1 PC but there are 2 in there.

Ditto on what Mcatrophy said about putting loc-tite on the screws for the locks.

I thought it was not very likely they would ever come loose till I found one missing one screw and the other on its last thread on a multi-day trip. It was fine that morning. Apparently once they work loose they unscrew pretty fast.

This was at 12k miles.

The dealer used a black silicone of some type to secure the bumpers but they still cameboff when the bags were removed.

The zip tie wraps around the bumper and through the metal peg bracket.

It did the trick.

Tywraps would be used to hold the little rubber cushion onto the single flange of the bike frame. Those rubber thingees are apparently only glued in place by the dealership before delivery if you get saddlebags (as we all do in North America). In my case they weren’t even glued, just pushed on, before the bags were mounted. Not a big deal if the bags are always on, as mine are. But, if you ride without the saddlebags sometimes you are apt to lose one.

Mine weren't glued on either the 06 or the 16, but on the rare occasion that I have ridden with the bags off, I just removed them, so as not to lose them.
coolsmiley02.gif

Zip ties are what I used.
I'm trying to imagine what you'd zip tie to what?? Wasn't the OP talking about the double flange on the bottom of the bag that straddles the single flange on the bike frame? How would a zip work there?
I'm having trouble posting the picture, but I use the zip tie as a barrier such that the mounts can't come off. I didn't concern myself that they stay rigidly in place with the bags removed, just that they couldn't stray much from the position the bags hold them in.

1. Drilled a hole across both the inside and outside flange of the rubber mounts. Roughly 1/4" from the bottom, so it would be below the horizontal upper part of the bracket on the frame the rubber mounts slide onto.

2. Put the mounts in place on the bike.

3. Ran a zip tie through the holes in both the inner and outer and looped back under the rubber mounts, and pulled it tight, being careful that the attachment latch of the zip tie would not interfere with mounting/removing the side cases. Snip off excess.

The result is the zip tie is trapped within the open space of the bracket, which in turn prevents the rubber mount from being removed without cutting the zip tie.