Alaska 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
We are headed to Alaska again this year. This will be trip #3, the first one was in 2011 with the BeamerReamer's as a goal for them to get back on their bike after a severe crash involving a deer in 2010 which put them both in the hospital for about 3 weeks with nearly a year of recovery. On the first trip, getting to Hyder, AK was the goal.

d7bfvL3.jpg

The 2nd trip was in 2016. The planned route for 2016, which we mostly followed:

k05I4oq.png

Hope to update these two photos:

Top of the World Hwy border crossing

VauGNi3.jpg

Thompson Pass (just outside Valdez, AK)

cbJBQM9.jpg

For the 2018 trip our group expanded to add a Coast Guard buddy of BeamerReamers oldest son, and two other couples for a total of 10 people in the group. The planned route is about the same as 2016 with the main difference is we are planning to head North out of Fairbanks up the Dalton Hwy to at least the Artic Circle monument. We wanted to go all the way to Prudoe Bay, but not likely this year with the extra folks coming along.

Here is our spotwalla link:https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=18d825afc5dabd29f9&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes if you would like to follow along. It will go active the morning of 5/24 and remain so through 6/10. I'll try to post to this thread as we can during the trip.

I have posted this on FJRiders.com too https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3445&p=65306#p65306 I don't know which forum I will be able to post too, but probably will only keep one up to date while on the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big country, be careful up there. Safe travels to everyone Auburn, looking forward to the stories on your safe return.

~G

When are you going? My riding buddy and I will be up there late June to early July! Maybe we will see you on the road!!
punk.gif
Uhhhhh? Probably from May 24th to June 10th? Probably?

It will go active the morning of 5/24 and remain so through 6/10. I'll try to post to this thread as we can during the trip.

Enjoy, I've done it 4 times on motorcycles thinking maybe one more time . Big group make things a lot harder, the time I went to Deadhorse I rode by myself. I would suggest the Whitter Tunnel if you haven't done it , but then again alot of bikes go down in tunnel .

550 or so for the day, a lot of miles for 6 bikes, ten bladders with four of them being ladies riding pillion. Not much for the Auburn's & the BeamerReamer's, we put down 1,156 in 18 hours once.

Wish I was riding Shot Gun but I'm bad JuJu, every time out with the Reamer's someone winds up in the hospital.

In beautiful downtown Hixon now.
Canyon Creek Campground is a great spot. Cost us about $7 each to camp, included horn showers, the restrooms were very clean, and we got the use of their covered pavillion.

N0eh9ec.jpg

which came in handy, a couple of brief showers.

hJiJyIZ.jpg

Tonight set up tents in Stewart. Bear Creek campground. Light shower. Had off and on showers all day. Nothing bad at all. Looks like Camp Run-A-Muck is open again in Hyder. The Glacier restaurant was closed. Bar was open. Passed on getting hyderized again. Not my kind of drink. Ate at the King Edwards Hotel restaurant in Stewart. Food was really good and cheap. The Petrol Canada gas station (only on in town) has credit card readers now, but your card must have a chip to use the pumps after hours. They close at 5 PM everyday.

Headed for Teslin, YT tomorrow night, then Dawson City for the run over the Top of the World Hwy Monday. If the weather holds out. Otherwise we will end up making a change.

Last edited by a moderator: