erabuds/ear plugs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
Has anyone found earbuds that also function well as ear plugs? I know I can have custom ones made but I am wondering about off the shelf.

Thanks

I have had good luck with S-plug, good audio, blocks out a lot of noise. I also have custom, they tend to hurt after a long days use.

I have had good luck with S-plug, good audio, blocks out a lot of noise. I also have custom, they tend to hurt after a long days use.
Used the S-plugs and custom mold before I went to Bluetooth helmet speakers. Found using a dab of Neosporin before putting them in my ear help tremendously with keeping them comfortable and also made for a better seal. I think I still have the tube in my tankbag jic.

I use ETYMOTIC ER38-14F ->https://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER38-14F-Foam-Replacement-Ear-bud-tips-Headphone-Earphone-Sleeves-10Pc/201703618963?epid=22009467550&hash=item2ef678f993:g:HRkAAOSwB09YFjEZ
That's just the foam tip for their earphones. You just use them by themselves? OR

What earphones do you have?

I use Bose noise cancelling ear buds, work great but expensive! They will hook up to most types of music or phone units if required but block out wind and other noise. Mine are the wired type but I believe they now have Bluetooth type out.

RHA MA750 ear buds.... love them. They loop over your ear which also helps to keep them in place when putting on your helmet (I used to wear a fullface and now a modular). The sound is great and I can still hear sufficiently around me without compromising security.

I use Bose noise cancelling ear buds, work great but expensive! They will hook up to most types of music or phone units if required but block out wind and other noise. Mine are the wired type but I believe they now have Bluetooth type out.
Do you get any popping? I get some in certain wind conditions and it is horrible.

​I rock these: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-Black/dp/B000XPG2QI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526829395&sr=8-3&keywords=etymotic+hf5

Sound cancelling, very comfortable, decent sound, and I'm functionally deaf when they're in. They're durable as well. I use mine every day. If they do quit, send them to Etymotic for a discount on a new pair. Now, pair them up with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-Resolution-Music-Player/dp/B01A8NU5CG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526829832&sr=1-1&keywords=cowon+plenue and enjoy the ride.

The S plug's look pretty good, but @ $120 a bit more than I'd like to pay. Has anyone tried the JVC Marshmallows?

Looking or something small like the S Plug, have tried a few sets I have at home...but they all get pushed out putting on my helmet

(Shoei RF 1100 which is tight on me)

The problem I have is with the ear tips, the slide-on part that actually goes in the ear. The soft silly-cone mushroom ones that come with earbud sets don't stay in. The soft flange type don't stay in. I've found very few that do and the ones that works the absolute bestest for me were discontinued. Go figure. The tips I linked to are the ones I use now- don't last long but they work pretty well. I can't begin to tell you how many different types/brands of ear tips I've tried but If I had to guess I'd say 30 or 40.

I'm using Etymotic something or other earphones, as you call them. Being 1/3 deaf with tinnitus in the left means I am not an audiophile purist. I can easily get away with much cheaper earphones than others will choose b/c basically everything sounds dull to me anyway. To me, it's the comfort and fit of the ear tips that matters more.

You can get comply foam tips for almost any earphones. They are much more comfortable than flange tips and seal well.
But apparently not Etyomic (isolator)ER-6i's, which is the ones I need new tips for. They came with three sets of tips, all have gone missing, and I don't remember what size tip fit me.(they still sell replacement tips, but not packages of all sizes)

I tried the foam tips....which I do have....but they don't work for me.

Just really trying to find an inexpensive pair that don't stick out of my ear...

I never used comply tips on my ER-6i's (RIP) but I did use the Shure Flange Tips from my SE535 on them. They are way softer than the Etymotic tips and worked better in my ears. They can also be trimmed to length - I cut about 1/2 of the section on the earphones off to get the perfect length.

So, extrapolating from that, the Comply tips that fit my Shure 535's are the T100, so I expect those would fit the ER-6i as well. However, give those Shure flanges a try - I loved that combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got these for a Fathers day gift. fit fine under the helmet and the Electronic noise canceling works surprisingly well for the price. Took away a good chunk of wind noise.The sound quality is way better than I expected. Very happy with them,way better than the skull candys I was using and not that much more money. <a href='https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Cancelling-Headphones-Awareness-Microphone/dp/B0734XD8B5/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QCXX4RSVVM7CZZVZBS6P'>https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Cancelling-Headphones-Awareness-Microphone/dp/B0734XD8B5/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QCXX4RSVVM7CZZVZBS6P</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
See, here’s the problem with those last ones (and others like them): There is no way in hell they are cancelling the noise inside your helmet. The microphone sensor is outside the helmet on the lanyard. The noise in your helmet is mostly happening inside your helmet from wind turbulence. If the noise source was your exhaust pipe or engine or the Hardle Ableson in front of you, those would have a chance of sampling and cancelling that noise. But, unless they have microphones built into the ear piece that samples the ambient sound inside of the helmet, they won’t work worth a diddley.