Missing Downshifts - Common Problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonreir

Reaction score
Hey all,

About a week ago, I started getting a problem with the shifting and it's getting worse. About half the time (especially when going from 3rd to 2nd), the shift misses. The shifter moved freely but it doesn't grab a gear. Upshifting seems fine and my usual fix has been to shift up a gear and then back down again and this sometimes works.

Ideas on the cause of the problem and is there an easy fix that doesn't involve tearing into the transmission?

Not common.

The most likely scenario is that the shifter is not returning to center after the previous downshift. Since there is a ratchet / pawl on the shifter, if it doesnt make it back up to center it wont be able catch the next down shift.

Reasons for not making back to center would be your boot resting on the shift lever, or the lever shaft needing some cleaning and greasing. If it is not one of those two things it would have to be an internal problem with that ratcheting star wheel. Very uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Fred said.

I go with lubing the shifter first. You can just spray it good with a penetrating oil and if that fixes it then you can either ignore it till it happens again, {my solution} or you can disassemble it and grease it right with some lithium grease. {I recommend that to YOU}. LOL

It’s kind of hard to get even spray lube on the shifter pivot (its behind a cover) without taking it apart. It’s good practice to clean and lube the brake and shifter pivots, as well as the two hand lever pivots at every other oil change (about 10k miles) or more often if you ride in a lot of rain.

My new 18 was acting similar.

The shift shaft was lubed well but the upper and lower knuckles were dry.

Try lubing them up.

Canadian FJR

Well, not 100%

After lubing everything up and changing the oil it was better.

I visited the dealer yesterday and he had already spoken with tech support so everyone is aware.

They feel that it will improve with mileage and after taking the long way home yesterday at a very spirited pace it is better yet again.

Ill give it a few more 1000 km before I can say for sure.

Canadian FJR

Put the bike up on the centerstand.

Kneel down to the floor on the left side of the bike and rotate/jog the rear wheel with your right hand.

Ignore the clutch. It's not needed for this experiment.

Using your left hand actuate the shift lever as you rotate/jog the rear wheel. Does the lever spring back smoothly to its center position after you execute all the up and down shifts?

If it does spring back nicely your problem is likely somewhere else.

OK... I finally got around to taking everything apart and lubing it all and that seemed to have done the trick. Shifting is back to normal.

The worst offender seemed to be the bolt that holds the shift lever to the body work that also sandwiches the kick start lever. I had to pick up a T50 bit to get to it, but all is good.

That said, while I had everything apart, I snapped this picture. Is the u-joint just supposed to be hanging out like this or did I lose a dust cover somewhere?

35228485_10156562842650159_2955807410914066432_n.jpg

I thought the cover on the left is the odd shaped one. I think when you take the shifter plate off this is how it looks. Except mine’s a bit cleaner... ;)

I thought the cover on the left is the odd shaped one. I think when you take the shifter plate off this is how it looks. Except mine’s a bit cleaner...
wink.png
You're right Fred. I first looked at the photo on my phone and didn't see the plastic bit with the odd cutout to the left of the U-joint. I'll blame it on the small phone image coupled with the layer of grunge on the part. Other than the crap, it looks as it should. I would suggest cleaning it up and using LESS grease upon reassembly.

OK... I finally got around to taking everything apart and lubing it all and that seemed to have done the trick. Shifting is back to normal.
The worst offender seemed to be the bolt that holds the shift lever to the body work that also sandwiches the kick start lever. I had to pick up a T50 bit to get to it, but all is good.

That said, while I had everything apart, I snapped this picture. Is the u-joint just supposed to be hanging out like this or did I lose a dust cover somewhere?

35228485_10156562842650159_2955807410914066432_n.jpg

Details here